Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indian takeaway Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bandara wrote: »
    Filthy kip. Served a closure order by Food safety authority last autumn

Places like this should be forced to post these orders in their windows so people know what the place is like behind the scenes. The front of house standards were grimy so I can only imagine the filth in the kitchens

https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/august_enforcements_07092016.html

No need to imagine 'behind the scenes' - you can see right into the kitchen from front of house. The Food Safety Authority also had no issue with a filthy kitchen there, so why pretend it's a problem? They got closed down for violating storage regulations, not for anything else. It's a pokey place, with a tired and well worn order area, but it's popular for a reason. I've no problem with getting the odd order from there - the daily veg special is pretty much a failsafe winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

alastair wrote:
    No need to imagine 'behind the scenes' - you can see right into the kitchen from front of house. The Food Safety Authority also had no issue with a filthy kitchen there, so why pretend it's a problem? They got closed down for violating storage regulations, not for anything else. It's a pokey place, with a tired and well worn order area, but it's popular for a reason. I've no problem with getting the odd order from there - the daily veg special is pretty much a failsafe winner.

Spot on, just a storage issue which was rectified in a day or so. I still eat from it all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Spot on, just a storage issue which was rectified in a day or so. I still eat from it all the time

Took them 4 days to open up again.

Took them 4 days to open up again.

Problem was fixed in a day or so. Inspector took four days to come out to lift it.
    You seem to have a vendetta against this place based on previous posts.
    Storage issue, plain and simple.
    They deemed it fit to open again so therefore no threat to the public, nor filthy. I'll most likely order there this evening

Problem was fixed in a day or so. Inspector took four days to come out to lift it.
    You seem to have a vendetta against this place based on previous posts.
    Storage issue, plain and simple.
    They deemed it fit to open again so therefore no threat to the public, nor filthy. I'll most likely order there this evening

Were so you think we are Sicily in the Cosa Nostra, with your "vendetta":D

But unless you actually spoke to the inspector , you've no idea what happened or what she found during the visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm a huge fan of Rasoi in Ranelagh.

Really intense flavours, and a good selection of dishes with a bit more variety than your average Indian takeaway. I often get the Kurkuri Tarkari (essentially tempura vegetables), the Paneer Lababdar or the Goan prawn curry. Really couldn't praise it highly enough.

In terms of eating in a restaurant, it's either Madina Desi on Mary Street (golgapppas and dosa!) or Pickle on Camden Street (which is truly superb).

But unless you actually spoke to the inspector , you've no idea what happened or what she found during the visit

Replacement refrigerator to be precise

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've said it before on here about Namaste- Liked it for its 1st few years. It started to decline at the same rate as its front of shop cleanliness.

It may not be the most scientific way of judging a restaurant but my eye is always drawn to the general tidiness of the room/waiting area and the condition of the toilets. Namaste is neglected and has been for an age as is The Curry Club in Kilbarrack.

Fair enough if people like it but I wouldn't go near either based on the presentation of the shop.

Spice of India on South William Street is nice.

I usually order these days from Vagya in Glasnevin. Ate there a few times and was impressed. Order takeaway about once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Vagya closed a few weeks ago. The hotel they rented their premises off is being redeveloped so they had to go. They're looking for a new location.

https://www.facebook.com/vagya.cuisine?hc_ref=ARTfm1HXvC-GUrYoGxuD5R9COdMUI-FistlbVCBEOMEwdOUHoIA0XrCK0bOffyPR58o&fref=nf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

It's a bit out of the way but Veda in Cabinteely is definitely worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Went with India Link in Portmarnock 2nite. Really really nice and would definitely recommend :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

dudara wrote: »
    Pickle on Camden Street (which is truly superb).
    The three Indian fellas I work with recommended this place to me. Must check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Vagya closed a few weeks ago. The hotel they rented their premises off is being redeveloped so they had to go. They're looking for a new location.

https://www.facebook.com/vagya.cuisine?hc_ref=ARTfm1HXvC-GUrYoGxuD5R9COdMUI-FistlbVCBEOMEwdOUHoIA0XrCK0bOffyPR58o&fref=nf

Open again in the Roselawn Inn in Clonsilla.
    https://www.facebook.com/vagya.cuisine
    Seriously, anyone out that way, give them a try. After Christmas, we'll be travelling out from the city centre to visit them.

spurious wrote: »
    Seriously, anyone out that way, give them a try. After Christmas, we'll be travelling out from the city centre to visit them.

Typical. They close down without informing me and then expect me to go to the edge of the world to eat :D

I wonder do they still deliver to Cabra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Just for accuracy, Roselawn is Castleknock or Blanchardstown. It is off the Clonsilla Road but estates around it tend to use Castleknock and that or Coolmine are the nearest stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The rosey? Surprised that place is still open

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ever make it over spurious? Was going to give it a try on Wednesday when I'm out that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

India Gate on the Belgard Road is really nice takeaway if anyone is out in the Tallaght direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Not a take away as such...

But I tried the M&S butter chicken, lamb Rogan josh and peshwari naan. It was surprisingly good.

The butter chicken was better than any take away I've had. The rogan josh was so so. Great lamb flavour, but I wasn't a fan of the curry spices.

It was simple to prepare. Peshwari naan takes 10 minutes in a hot oven. I left it for 15 which made it nice and crispy. The curries were microwaved in 3 minutes, as was a pouch of uncle bens rice.

I toasted 2 handfuls of flaked almonds on a dry pan for 5 minutes. Move them around every minute or so they don't catch. They were great sprinkled on top of the curries.

I had some left over toasted almonds so ground them in a pestle and mortar with sugar and a large dollop of butter. I used this paste the next day to spread on toast which was ideal for mopping up the leftover curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Doubtitdub

Mint Leaf in Drumcondra is superb!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ever make it over spurious? Was going to give it a try on Wednesday when I'm out that direction.

Not yet. Trying to be 'good' since Christmas, but will probably knock that on the head by the end of the month and go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

https://lovin.ie/news/human-faeces-cockroaches-dead-spiders-cause-closure-of-irish-food-businesses

I see that filthy kip Ruposhi is at it again.

This is the third time they have been closed. It’s an absolute disgrace that they can stay in business.

It seems until people die from a food poisoning outbreak nothing will be done.

Very poor from Boojum, no running water !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is it definitely gone from Glasnevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

budhabob wrote: »
    Is it definitely gone from Glasnevin?

Definitely gone as I ate in their new location above the pub in the Roselawn centre on New Years Eve. Food was very nice and we had the early bird menu which was good value at 16.90 for 2 courses ordered before 6.30pm, it goes up to 19.90 after 6.30pm.

Only problem we had was the till broke down and it took the staff member and his pen the best part of 20 minutes to deliver a handwritten bill. When he did we were charged full price so sent it back, then on the next one we were charged 19.90 for the early bird which again was wrong. He got it right the third time though ;) Though it was frustrating in that it took us around half an hour to actually pay for the meal. The manager must of seen this going on but he didnt interject.

Anyway that aside I still rate it as a decent Indian, it is not at the level of Pickle in Camden St or anything but for a suburban eatery its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pickle is a grade above the rest imo.

Giving Vagya a miss tomorrow as there was a voucher online for Spice of India instead :) will get to Vagya in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Veda in Cabinteely is well worth a visit.. I've never tasted better chichen or CTM anywhere that comes close

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Veda in Cabinteely is well worth a visit.. I've never tasted better chichen or CTM anywhere that comes close

Their lamb laal maas is unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Rasam in Glasthule is some of the best Indian food I've ever had. It's primarily a restaurant but you can get food for collection. It's a proper and high-end restaurant though, so not cheap.

Advertisement