Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indian takeaway Dublin?

Options
  • 28-07-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking for your vote for best Indian takeaway in Dulin? I've tried recently:

New Maharaj/Maharaj Clontarf - was in my opinion right up there anongst the best about 2 years ago. Had 2 bad experiences - dishes laced with chilli (even a tikka masala). Also got orders wrong a few times - delivered to a group with 1/2 rice short. Small things but pretty annoying It appeared to change ownership. Would not return.

Bombay Pantry - voted best Indian takeaway in Ireland. Went there recently with really high expectations but was left a little disappointed. Good but not as good as I had been expecting given the award!

Curry Club Kilbarrack - very good food. Just kinda OD'd on it at this stage and want a change.

So could I ask for some recommendations?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Vagya in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Namaste, smithfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Namaste, smithfield

2nd. Being awhile since I had anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Vermilion in Terenure is excellent. On the expensive side, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Namaste, smithfield

Have to say found them a bit meh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭francois

Konkan, Clanbrassil Street

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

francois wrote: »

Without a shadow of a doubt, magnificent. Probably the same price as Vermillion in Terenure but nicer IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Never found Bombay Pantry great to be honest.

Tadka House do some great dishes, maybe not best in Dublin but worth a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

Khan's balti house at Newlands Cross. Top quality food and ingredients. The difference in spices and sauces and the quantity and quality of the meats they use compared to bog standard Indian takeaways is ridiculous.

https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-newkhansbaltihouse/menu

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.delhiloungedublin.com/ Hits the spot so well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I don't think Indian food travels that well to be honest, but Kerala Kitchen on Baggot Street was more than decent the two times I've had it delivered as opposed to eating there (when it is very good indeed).

Bombay Kitchen seems to run on past reputation these days. I used to get a pick--up from their Clonskeagh branch many years ago and it was extremely good. However I've ordered from their Fairview and Rathmines branch over the years and found it dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

francois wrote: »

Got the Jhinga Mirch Masala there last night and it was amazing. Definitely my favourite indian take away

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The difference in quality between Bombay Pantries is crazy. Clonskeagh is almost always good but Rathmines is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know this is a take away thread but Indian take aways can work out pretty pricey. So I would highly recommend anyone to try the early bird menu in Pickle on Camden Street. It is only 22 euro and compared to spending 15 or so on a take away it is well worth paying that little bit extra, the food there is simply sublime. The chef is Sunil Ghal who used to be in Ananda, Dundrum. The food he cooks is northern Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

India Link in Portmarnock is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I know this is a take away thread but Indian take aways can work out pretty pricey. So I would highly recommend anyone to try the early bird menu in Pickle on Camden Street. It is only 22 euro and compared to spending 15 or so on a take away it is well worth paying that little bit extra, the food there is simply sublime. The chef is Sunil Ghal who used to be in Ananda, Dundrum. The food he cooks is northern Indian.

Giving a thumbs up to this. Super food! Massive fan of Rasoi in Ranelagh also. Regularly drive in from Carrickmines just for it.

I have spent over a year in India over the past 5/6 years and always struggle to enjoy India food in Ireland after I come home. Pickle and Rasoi always do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Depending on budget, starting with the least expensive, I usually order from

1) Spice n Rice, Dorset St., D1
    2) Tadka House, Rathmines, D6
    3) Indie Spice, Sandymount, D4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Namaste, smithfield

Filthy kip. Served a closure order by Food safety authority last autumn

Places like this should be forced to post these orders in their windows so people know what the place is like behind the scenes. The front of house standards were grimy so I can only imagine the filth in the kitchens

https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/august_enforcements_07092016.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tried out Dera in Parnell Street on just-eat the other evening. Got their set dinner for 2 or 3 persons, between four of us. Very tasty indeed. One of our party had lived in India and reported it was just like the food she ate there.

Had Ras Malai from there another time - yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Just reread the OP - Curry Club in Kilbarrack, not great IMHO.

So that I'm giving a benchmark, Kinara in Clontarf would be my spot for a curry - not a takeaway (AFAIK) though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Indian curry club is one of best takeaways ive had.

Kinara while not being a takeaway is nice but way overpriced for the quality compared to say Diwali on georges st, which imo is the best Indian restaurant in Dublin.

Spice guru is savage also...takeaway in Rathgar.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Indian curry club is one of best takeaways ive had.

Kinara while not being a takeaway is nice but way overpriced for the quality compared to say Diwali on georges st, which imo is the best Indian restaurant in Dublin.

Spice guru is savage also...takeaway in Rathgar.

Thanks for the tips, but really on the curry club? What did you order if you don't mind me asking. The lamb madras and T.B.Chicken is middling at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thanks for the tips, but really on the curry club? What did you order if you don't mind me asking. The lamb madras and T.B.Chicken is middling at best.

Big fan of the chefs special hendu kush, the lamb biriyani , saag , rogan josh. I haven't strayed from those dishes so i guess my opinion is limited to a small subset of dishes. I've had some awful indian takeaways in my time but the two places that stand out for me are spice guru and the curry club.

If diwali delivered...then they'd jump to the top.

In kinara i got a prawn dish once and they were like rubber pellets along with the lobster tail in the started platter, i was really disappointed given the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'm a recent convert to curry club in kilbarrack. It's alright, I've had a few dishes from there, I think it suffers like a lot of Indian takeaways in that any chicken I've had tastes like rubbery shite. Shame as the sauces are really nice.

I'm a recent convert to curry club in kilbarrack. It's alright, I've had a few dishes from there, I think it suffers like a lot of Indian takeaways in that any chicken I've had tastes like rubbery shite. Shame as the sauces are really nice.

Indian restaurants generally cook their chicken by boiling it in water

They then let it cool and sit there until required. They reheat it by plunging a portion into boiling water again to bring up to temperature before covering it with sauce / tossing it in a pan for a few seconds to allow the sauce and chicken to mix.

That is why the chicken tastes rubbery and has a very clear white colour too it, as it's never actually been exposed to pan heat etc

Chinese restaurants are the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Bandara wrote: »
    Indian restaurants generally cook their chicken by boiling it in water

They then let it cool and sit there until required. They reheat it by plunging a portion into boiling water again to bring up to temperature before covering it with sauce / tossing it in a pan for a few seconds to allow the sauce and chicken to mix.

That is why the chicken tastes rubbery and has a very clear white colour too it, as it's never actually been exposed to pan heat etc

Chinese restaurants are the same

Wow I never knew that, is it all restaurants or just takeaways do this? Also do they do it for other meats or just chicken? I'd assume that any of the meats cooked in the tandoor oven don't suffer this process?

Wow I never knew that, is it all restaurants or just takeaways do this? Also do they do it for other meats or just chicken? I'd assume that any of the meats cooked in the tandoor oven don't suffer this process?

To my knowledge it's only in Chinese/Indian takeaways and not all, but a lot of their restaurants

It's done for other meats also, hence the strange flat square/rectangle shaped pieces that are very moist and have no internal variations of colour that beef (for example) would have from and oven or pan.

In general your really not eating good quality food prepared properly from a takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Muahahaha wrote: »

My only Indian sit down to date ever - and it was bloody fantastic!!
    AsianDub wrote: »
    Depending on budget, starting with the least expensive, I usually order from

2) Tadka House, Rathmines, D6

Opened up in Maxol Garage on the Greenhills Rd, nice Tiffen Boxes but haven't tried much else!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

spurious wrote: »
    Tried out Dera in Parnell Street on just-eat the other evening. Got their set dinner for 2 or 3 persons, between four of us. Very tasty indeed. One of our party had lived in India and reported it was just like the food she ate there.

Had Ras Malai from there another time - yum.

+1 for Dera - the food is seriously good. Their delivery drivers are lousy though - any time I had food delivered from there they parked way down the other end of the street, phoned me to say they were outside, and I had to go out, find the car and collect the food from them. It may seem trivial, but it's a pain in the arse if you're in the pyjamas and slippers and it's cold and raining out!

Advertisement