Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen if I work out without gaining weight?

Options
  • 24-07-2017 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

At the moment I am working out 5 days a week,I am not taking any supplements or gaining any weight. Is this bad for me and if so what exactly would happen if I continue this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No idea what would happen, as I've no idea what your workout is. Supplements? Do you have some deficiency that requires supplements? Is regular exercise bad for you? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

snadams wrote: »
    At the moment I am working out 5 days a week,I am not taking any supplements or gaining any weight. Is this bad for me and if so what exactly would happen if I continue this?

If you want to gain weight, you need to eat more.

As it stands, you're balancing the calories you've burned and the calories you've consumed.

What do you want to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Slow body recomposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Not sure how it could be bad for you - as a rule of thumb, exercise is good for you. Is there anything in particular you are concerned about happening?

When you say you are not gaining weight - are you losing weight or just remaining around the same weight? If you are staying around the same weight, you are burning off approx the same level of calories through exercise that you are taking in from food/ nutrition. This is not a bad thing at all, assuming it fits in with your overall fitness/ training goals.

Also:
    What type of training are you doing?
    What are your training goals? Gain muscle, lose weight, get stronger, increase cardiovascular fitness, etc.?

Basically, you need to give us more details if you want a suitable answer.

Not sure how it could be bad for you - as a rule of thumb, exercise is good for you

Except when you accidentally break out in loads of muscle because you did too much without realising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 snadams

My routine is:

Monday:(Biceps/Chest/Triceps):Bench Press 2 sets 4-6 reps of 43 Kg
    Bench Press 2 sets 8-10 reps on incline 30Kg
    Bench Press 2 sets 10 reps on further incline 20Kg
    Barbell Curls 4 sets of 6-8 20Kg
    Barbell curls 6 sets of 10 10kg
    Tricep Dips 6 sets of 10 10Kg

Tuesday:(legs) Goblet squats: 6 sets of 10 10Kg
    Calf Raises 6 sets of 30
    Bodyweight Squats (warm up) 6 sets of 10
    Jumping barbell squats 4 sets of 10 reps 10kg

Wednesdays:(Abs/Core) 6 minutes of planks in 1-2 minute sets
    Reverse crunch 6 sets of 15
    Exercise Ball Crunch 6 sets 15 5-10Kg

Thursday:(shoulders/traps)Barbell Shoulder press 4 sets of 10 10Kg
    Barbell upright rows 4 sets of 10 10Kg
    Barbell Shrug 6 sets of 10 reps 20Kg
    Overhead barbell shrugs 6 sets of 10 10Kg

Friday:(Back) Bent Over barbell rows 6 sets of 10 10Kg
    Dumbbell pull overs 6 sets of 10 10Kg
    One arm barbell rows 4 sets of 10 25Kg

I am very skinny at the moment and I am afraid I will just continue to get skinnier without gaining any muscle.
    Basically people have told me,that if I continue to workout without gaining weight,that nothing will happen except get smaller.
    I am not working and do not have the money for weight gainers or protein shakes(what I meant by supplements) Or even a good diet.
    I am just eating as I would when not working out,I would say my goals are to gain strength and some mass,not looking to be a bodybuilder or anything close to it.

If there is any other info you guys need or want to know,please tell me.
    Also if you guys have any advice on my routine, something I should change or improve on,please let me know it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for the replys.

You don't need weight gainers or shakes. Just more food. They are forms of food. Convenient and overpriced bit they're just food in shake form.

Eat more. Muscles need a calorie surlplus to grow so eat more. Then eat some more. Then have dessert.

Tl;dr eat more.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You don't need weight gainers or shakes. Just more food. They are forms of food. Convenient and overpriced bit they're just food in shake form.

Eat more. Muscles need a calorie surlplus to grow so eat more. Then eat some more. Then have dessert.

Tl;dr eat more.
    Then add some chicken and eggs.

Ok so eat more,I get it. Lol.
    But say thats not exactly possible,what would happen?
    Also is routine ok?
    Thanks again guys!

Also is routine ok?
    Thanks again guys!

If it's not exactly possible, you will probably collapse in on yourself and form a small black hole.

It's not the best routine but it's not so bad you shouldn't get some form of results.

ONCE YOU EAT MORE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,128 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am very skinny at the moment and I am afraid I will just continue to get skinnier without gaining any muscle.
    Basically people have told me,that if I continue to workout without gaining weight,that nothing will happen except get smaller.
    Either those people don't know what they are talking about or you took them up wrong. Gaining weight and getting bigger/smaller don't exist independently. If you weight doesn't change you won't get smaller (excluding recoup which will make you look bigger).

You'll only get smaller if you lose weight.
    You'll only get bigger if you gain weight.
    It's that simple.

You need to eat more.
    Also is routine ok?
    Thanks again guys!

Why would eating more not be possible?
    Routine isn't great but it's not he issue is focus on right now. Fix you diet, revisit routine in a few weeks.

What's your current age, height and weight?
    What's a typical days food and drink intake?

Mellor wrote: »
    Either those people don't know what they are talking about or you took them up wrong. Gaining weight and getting bigger/smaller don't exist independently. If you weight doesn't change you won't get smaller (excluding recoup which will make you look bigger).

You'll only get smaller if you lose weight.
    You'll only get bigger if you gain weight.
    It's that simple.

You need to eat more.

Why would eating more not be possible?
    Routine isn't great but it's not he issue is focus on right now. Fix you diet, revisit routine in a few weeks.

What's your current age, height and weight?
    What's a typical days food and drink intake?

Well as I said,I am not working and I don't want be eating all the food in the house.
    Age 22,height 5,9(I believe),weight just under 9 stone.

I would normally have bacon and scrambled egg sandwich in the morning,with coffee.

Then maybe a tuna or ham sandwich around 2-3
    Then I would have dinner at say half 5 and a snack sometime after this(most of the time)

I drink around 3.5-4 liters of water throughout the day.

As for routine,I know you said I shouldn't focus on this now,but could you tell me what is wrong with it please? Also I probably should've said this at the beginning,but I am not going to the gym I am working out at home.All I have is a bench,barbell,dumbbell,exercise ball and 40kg of weights..So I am working with what I've got at the moment..

If it's not exactly possible, you will probably collapse in on yourself and form a small black hole.

It's not the best routine but it's not so bad you shouldn't get some form of results.

ONCE YOU EAT MORE.

A small black hole you say? Hmm that sounds powerful...Mwahaha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well as I said,I am not working and I don't want be eating all the food in the house.

I would normally have bacon and scrambled egg sandwich in the morning,with coffee.

Then I would have dinner at say half 5 and a snack sometime after this(most of the time)

As for routine,I know you said I shouldn't focus on this now,but could you tell me what is wrong with it please? Also I probably should've said this at the beginning,but I am not going to the gym I am working out at home.All I have is a bench,barbell,dumbbell,exercise ball and 40kg of weights..So I am working with what I've got at the moment..

Get yourself the myfitnesspal app and keep track of what you eat for a week, (measure the portions exactly and everything, your info above is really vague) and then remember (open to correction here) you need roughly to have a calorie excess of 500cals per day and 3500cals for the week to gain 1 pound per week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

snadams wrote:
    Ok so eat more,I get it. Lol. But say thats not exactly possible,what would happen?

Eating more is always possible, just supersize really, you might find it hard to keep protein high, hence supplements but cals are no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

snadams wrote:
    Well as I said,I am not working and I don't want be eating all the food in the house. Age 22,height 5,9(I believe),weight just under 9 stone.

You don't need to, just more than you need. Honestly packing cals is very easy just look at any of the weight loss threads and work in reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

It feels like everyone missed the post where Blacktie answered the question accurately and concisely...
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    Slow body recomposition.

It feels like everyone missed the post where Blacktie answered the question accurately and concisely...

The OP did state that he wanted to add strength and some mass thereafter.

That's an answer to the random question in thread title. It's not really an relevant answer to the OPs actual issue though.
    then remember (open to correction here) you need roughly to have a calorie excess of 500cals per day and 3500cals for the week to gain 1 pound per week
    That's for losing/gaining body fat. Unfortunately gain muscle is not as simple.

There's no quantities above. So I gonna assume the portions are small (otherwise you woukdn't be 9 stone).
    You don't have to eat all the food in the house, but you will have to eat more than you have been for the last few years. If you are not willing to do that, then your not going to gain any mass. You might even lose more.

Based on your weight, you're TDEE is about 2000 cals. So you'll need to aim for maybe 2400. That's not gorging on everything in the house, its quite a normal amount of food. Break it up into what ever number of meals and snacks you want, but the less meals you have the biggervthey each need to me.

Bacon and eggs is a good start. As long as it's 3 eggs, 2 rashers, 2 slices of bread with butter. (500 cals)

Lunch will probably need some bulking up. A big Tuna mayo sandwich woukd hit a 500 cals target. Plain ham probably less than half way.

Meat, veg, potatoes with butter, pasta etc. Easy to hit 500-600 cals here with decent portions.

A litre of milk over the course of the day is another 600 cals, and a 300 cal snack (50g nuts, fruit and yogurt, etc) takes you to 2400-ish.

A litre of milk over the course of the day is another 300 cals

Minor correction but skimmed milk is ~390 cals/litre and whole milk is #640 cals/litre

• Advertisement

Minor correction but skimmed milk is ~390 cals/litre and whole milk is #640 cals/litre
    Good catch. I was sure I wrote 600 (otherwise doesn't add up). Was going off whole milk, no point skimming it when bulking it. Rounded down to 600 cos someone always robs a bit for tea. :)

That's an answer to the random question in thread title. It's not really an relevant answer to the OPs actual issue though.

That's for losing/gaining body fat. Unfortunately gain muscle is not as simple.

QUOTE=snadams;104179603]Well as I said,I am not working and I don't want be eating all the food in the house.

There's no quantities above. So I gonna assume the portions are small (otherwise you woukdn't be 9 stone).
    You don't have to eat all the food in the house, but you will have to eat more than you have been for the last few years. If you are not willing to do that, then your not going to gain any mass. You might even lose more.

Based on your weight, you're TDEE is about 2000 cals. So you'll need to aim for maybe 2400. That's not gorging on everything in the house, its quite a normal amount of food. Break it up into what ever number of meals and snacks you want, but the less meals you have the biggervthey each need to me.

Bacon and eggs is a good start. As long as it's 3 eggs, 2 rashers, 2 slices of bread with butter. (500 cals)

Lunch will probably need some bulking up. A big Tuna mayo sandwich woukd hit a 500 cals target. Plain ham probably less than half way.

Meat, veg, potatoes with butter, pasta etc. Easy to hit 500-600 cals here with decent portions.

A litre of milk over the course of the day is another 300 cals, and a 300 cal snack (50g nuts, fruit and yogurt, etc) takes you to 2400-ish.[/QUOTE]

Ok sorry,i should of went into more detail... I would have 2 eggs with 3-4 rashers on two slices of white bread with butter.
    I would either have 2 slices of ham with butter on 2 slices of white bread with butter or a large can of tuna mixed with lots of mayo on two slices of white bread.
    For dinner I would have veg,meat and potatoes..I don't know how much exactly but it would be a plate full.

Then after that it would be either a frozen pizza or frozen fish.

So say I continued to eat like this,but added a small snack in between each meal,I would be on my way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ok sorry,i should of went into more detail... I would have 2 eggs with 3-4 rashers on two slices of white bread with butter.
    I would either have 2 slices of ham with butter on 2 slices of white bread with butter or a large can of tuna mixed with lots of mayo on two slices of white bread.
    For dinner I would have veg,meat and potatoes..I don't know how much exactly but it would be a plate full.

So say I continued to eat like this,but added a small snack in between each meal,I would be on my way?
    Quantities, quantities, quantities! How much butter? How much mayo? How much potato, meat (what meat)? You'd want to be measuring these out to the gram on a food scales and logging them into myfitnesspal so you'll know exactly how much you're eating and will know how much more you'll have to eat to be in a calorie surplus.

Very roughly:

Breakfast:
    2 eggs with 3-4 rashers on two slices of white bread with butter. 550 cals :)

Lunch:
    2 slices of ham with butter on 2 slices of white bread. 250 cals :(
    Large can of tuna mixed with lots of mayo on two slices of white bread. 500cals (tuna in water, 30g mayo) :D

Dinner is fine assuming it includes potatos and butter on the veg.
    Add in some snacks and a litre of milk and you're on your way.

The point it that the little things like amount of butter, and extra rasher or egg, ham vrs tuna mayo etc can really make or break a surplus.
    I'd really recommend logging a weeks worth of eating om My Fitness Pal. A small cheap digital scales helps.

Very roughly:

Breakfast:
    2 eggs with 3-4 rashers on two slices of white bread with butter. 550 cals :)

Lunch:
    2 slices of ham with butter on 2 slices of white bread. 250 cals :(
    Large can of tuna mixed with lots of mayo on two slices of white bread. 500cals (tuna in water, 30g mayo) :D

Dinner is fine assuming it includes potatos and butter on the veg.
    Add in some snacks and a litre of milk and you're on your way.

The point it that the little things like amount of butter, and extra rasher or egg, ham vrs tuna mayo etc can really make or break a surplus.
    I'd really recommend logging a weeks worth of eating om My Fitness Pal. A small cheap digital scales helps.

Ok,this was GREAT info,THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Is my fitness pal a website or an app,I dont have a phone so if its an app,i cant really get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Is my fitness pal a website or an app,I dont have a phone so if its an app,i cant really get it

It's both but obviously handier as a phone app as you can scan barcodes using your phone camera and track calorie intake on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Alright bud.

Rob Lipsett has a full 6 day split online here. Day one is here, it's not too hard to find the next 5 they should be in the suggested videos. Proper split, hitting every muscle group twice and tbh, he's cool to listen to. A young guy from Dublin trying to make it big in the fitness world, and he's doing a pretty good job.

If I were you I'd probably buy some creatine monohydrate.

Here's some good meal ideas, he has a protein pancake recipe in another video too which are proper legit. I think they have 7/800 calories in them and about 50g of protein.

I'm sure he goes in to it himself a bit more himself but other basic things are add weight to the bar over time. The additional weight will provide a stimulus for your muscles to grow and try consume a gram of protein for every pound you weigh.

If you don't fancy Lipsett, Joe Delaney is another vlogger.
    He goes through his full routine in this video, which is the same as Lipsett's.

Delaney's a funny guy as well and has an interesting perspective on life. Both really emphasise living life to the full and are both very ambitious.

Anyway OP, best of luck getting your gainz, any questions just ask and I'm sure someone on here will help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Slow body recomposition.
    How slow? Following this thread with some interest, and now I'm ready to hijack... :pac:

Looking at my autumn plans already (only a race or two left), and definitely need to do more strength work as a weak core and glutes have caused me a few injury issues.

I'm happy at my current weight (I'm not that light weight for triathlon, and hoping to do some cycle racing next season), and I'm kinda reluctant to get into a bulk/ cut cycle after having lost a substantial amount of weight and now been in maintenance a couple of years. However, not having done any caliper or any other tests, I kinda suspect my body fat could still be lower (could be a lot of waste skin too though).

The plan is mainly bodyweight exercises, including some suspension training, resistance bands, and some weights (but won't have access to a rack/ heavy weights though). I'm probably going to get a PT that I've been doing a class with to do a plan for the exercise, but in terms of diet, to see real benefit do I need to be looking at a bulk and then cut approach?

My reluctance is really around the cut. It took me two years really to get to where I am (20 stone down to 12), as much as I'd enjoy the bulk phase I'm not sure my head is ready to get into another period of keeping to a deficit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Veronica Hudson

You can do some research on this on the internet.

• Advertisement

You can do some research on this on the internet.

How would one go about that?

Advertisement