Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hints for cornering?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Be sure you are in the right gear (for exit) before entering the corner. Use the vanishing point (limit point) technique. Learn to read the road ahead from physical objects - trees, poles, ditches etc.

Do to have a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook? ( TSO. ISBN 9780117081888 )

If not, I recommend it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Just checked the manual for the FZ6 and pages 3-14 and 3-15 talk about adjusting the preload. I'll take a look under the seat tomorrow, see which one of the seven available settings is in use and maybe try a different one.

I was using countersteering before, but not consciously. After reading the posts here and watching some YouTube stuff, I tried it out last week on the spin into work. Was interesting testing it out on a straight on the Swords - Ashbourne road that morning, making the bike weave slightly. It has improved my cornering I think, knowing that pushing the right bar slightly tightens my turn to the right and vice versa.

Now I think my cornering problem has changed. Now I think I'm entering corners too slow. I slow either using the brakes or the engine, but then I've possibly slowed too much and it takes me a moment to accelerate back to the speed I want to be taking the corner at.

I'll keep practicing.

Better to enter too slow than too fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

As above, better to enter too slow. Slow in fast out, if you catch yourself too slow in a bend just get on the power earlier and possibly a little harder and you should still exit at a similar speed. This will also get you to a similar lean angle too but it will be more gradual. You should eventually gain confidence in entering a little faster even if you had initially been misjudging your entry speed.

Remember a good road position will give you more information and so you can judge the corner better. Go on youtube and watch any motorbike video.... to see poor road positioning :D

I'm sure someone mentioned tyre pressure already but this is something I always check and can make the world of difference. I know I mentioned it before but it would also be well worth meeting the lads for a spin as you'll learn loads and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

As you get to know your bike (engine and handling) you will become more accustomed to cornering. Just dont rush it, it will all click together eventually.

Advertisement