Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break it, buy it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Lovely to touch
    Lovely to hold
    But if you break it
    It's certainly sold

Some shops used to have these signs :) More of a childhood memory than anything recent

Lovely to look at
    Lovely to hold
    But if it gets broken
    Consider it sold

Is how I remember it, flows a little better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Look, your child may not have been running around or being mischievous, but he still broke an item. Unfortunately, that's one of the hazards of having children.

As you are responsible for him, you are responsible for covering the loss to the shop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I knocked over a bottle of wine in Tesco. I told the staff but I didn't pay for it.

Large supermarkets are usually just happy to get the spill cleaned before someone else slips and claims

Stock is generally sent back if its faulty, otherwise its recorded as a breakage and binned.

At the end of the year breakages and stock theft are written of against company profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jeniflan

Jeez, the lady was asking a question. She certainly wasnt looking for moral opinions!

As someome who used to be a manager for a well known Irish retailer i can tell you that shops have breakages everyday. They budget for it and expect it. Staff break their own fair share of stock too.

No sales assistant or member of management should be taking any part payments, all damages are listed and recorded.

I also worked in retail for years and years, as a shop assistant and as a manager, in a large retailer here in Ireland, and never ever came across asking a customer to pay for something that was broken by mistake- which is why I went to leave at first.

And yes I was also surprised she didn't ask for a manager to come speak to me

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Look, your child may not have been running around or being mischievous, but he still broke an item. Unfortunately, that's one of the hazards of having children.

As you are responsible for him, you are responsible for covering the loss to the shop.

Depends on the shop.

Most large retailers do not hold customers responsible.

Only small shops tend too and even then it actually isnt much a shop can legally do to force someone to pay.

Agreed - I totally understand parenting hazards- Like I said my question would still be the same if I broke it

Depends on the shop.

Only small shops tend too and even then it actually isnt much a shop can legally do to force someone to pay.

Which is why I made the point that it was a large retailer

And to reiterate- Even though she told me it 'was up to me', I did hand her the money. It was when she was questioned on it she got really annoyed and flustered and handed it back?

Jeniflan wrote: »
    I also worked in retail for years and years, as a shop assistant and as a manager, in a large retailer here in Ireland, and never ever came across asking a customer to pay for something that was broken by mistake- which is why I went to leave at first.

And yes I was also surprised she didn't ask for a manager to come speak to me

Yea, it really makes no sense.

How was she going to put it through the till with a 50% markoff? Only a manager would have authorization to discount and a 50% write off would raise some questions!

Sounds to me she was trying to pocket 5 euro and would write the item off as a breakage.

I wonder how many others she has took money off?

I would go back to the shop and speak to a manager and ask if this is standard practice. Id be very surprised if it was and i suspect the person would come under a security observation very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I wouldn't pay if it was an accident , some of the responses in here are a joke.
    Making assumptions her child was running around wildly and questioning her parenting.
    Every thread that pops up on this site the do gooder brigade are out in force.
    I'm sure the shop didn't have their 200euro crystals sitting on some crummy shelf waiting to be knocked over.
    If they don't want accidents to happen it should be secured in a cabinet or on hooks.
    Accidents happen.

I've knocked stuff over in Supermarkets and didn't pay.
    I wouldn't pay in a gift shop either.

• Advertisement

Depends on the shop.

If I broke something in a shop, I'd consider myself responsible, unless told otherwise. It is someone else's property, and they are entitled to seek recourse from me. If they don't seek recourse from me, that's very kind of them

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Can you be sure they would sell it? Would the price the shop bought it for not be fair?

If I broke something in a shop, I'd consider myself responsible, unless told otherwise. It is someone else's property, and they are entitled to seek recourse from me. If they don't seek recourse from me, that's very kind of them

Admirable and i would do the same if it were a small retailer. However large retailers really dont mind as they would feel chasing customers for payment would be bad customer service. As stated, breakages are only a very small percentage of overall stockloss and this is wrote off at the end of the commercial year.

What the OP has highlighted here is a member of staff committing fraud in my opinion as there was no way that member of staff would have been able to enter the broken product through the till onto the POS system.

thehouses wrote: »
    Can you be sure they would sell it? Would the price the shop bought it for not be fair?

Another valid point, the retail price is not the price the shop paid for the item and VAT would also be deducted from the overall price.

This is something a standard member of staff or manager would be unable to do in any large retailer.

Its clearly an attempt of fraud by the sales assistant and i would be reporting this to store management to protect other customers.

thehouses wrote: »

Not really, because in the time between buying it and selling it, they would also have to factor in costs such as the shop overheads, staff etc. It's just quite not that simple.

What the OP has highlighted here is a member of staff committing fraud in my opinion as there was no way that member of staff would have been able to enter the broken product through the till onto the POS system.

It depends completely on the POS system, but many would have options for entering damaged stock etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

XsApollo wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay if it was an accident , some of the responses in here are a joke.
    Making assumptions her child was running around wildly and questioning her parenting.
    Every thread that pops up on this site the do gooder brigade are out in force.
    I'm sure the shop didn't have their 200euro crystals sitting on some crummy shelf waiting to be knocked over.
    If they don't want accidents to happen it should be secured in a cabinet or on hooks.
    Accidents happen.

I've knocked stuff over in Supermarkets and didn't pay.
    I wouldn't pay in a gift shop either.

It's quite rude to call people the do gooder brigade tbh. It was me that asked was her child running around unsupervised because I genuinely didn't think a parent would let a child handle a breakable object while watching.

I also asked her twice why she said her attitude would have been different in a small shop which she's ignored twice.
    If I break something I would offer to pay for it and if the shop says no then that's fine. I don't think it matters how large the shop is its just polite imo.

It depends completely on the POS system, but many would have options for entering damaged stock etc.

With all respect, most certainly not!

Access to stock control would be limited to senior management instore.

No member of staff other than management would be allowed to discount products, and even then with good reason.

Most certainly not!

Access to stock control would be limited to senior management instore.

No member of staff would be allowed to discount products.

Sure you don't know what company it is, what till system they are using or what access the staff have.

It's quite rude to call people the do gooder brigade tbh. It was me that asked was her child running around unsupervised because I genuinely didn't think a parent would let a child handle a breakable object while watching.

I also asked her twice why she said her attitude would have been different in a small shop which she's ignored twice.
    If I break something I would offer to pay for it and if the shop says no then that's fine. I don't think it matters how large the shop is its just polite imo.

I don't think you asked was her child running around do you?

Why does it matter if it's a local shop or a large company and why would you behave differently in either? Genuine question as I'm baffled why you'd expect any company to cover the cost of your children damaging items.
    Really it is up to you to control your child when you're out in public and not allow them to be running around knocking things over. If something on a shelf was loose and fell down and hurt your child would your attitude still be "sure these things happen"?

• Advertisement

I didn't let him handle it while watching. As I said I was standing right next to him and in a split second he accidently knocked it over

If I break something I would offer to pay for it and if the shop says no then that's fine. I don't think it matters how large the shop is its just polite imo.[/QUOTE]

I didn't ignore you- I already said I thought it would make a difference in terms of their breakage contingency budgets / insurance etc
    And as I've also said I worked in a large retailer for a long time both as a manager and a shop assistant- and in my experience I never saw / asked a customer to pay for something they broke by mistake

Sure you don't know what company it is, what till system they are using or what access the staff have.

I have worked in retail for over 30 years with various large retailers.

Trust me, all POS systems work generally the same.

No large retailer gives access to stock control to shop assistants.

No shop assistant can discount products.

XsApollo wrote: »
    I don't think you asked was her child running around do you?

Are you being pedantic for any particular reason? The point I was making still stands whatever way I worded it.

Are you being pedantic for any particular reason? The point I was making still stands whatever way I worded it.

No are you?
    You said you asked was her child running around.
    When as a matter of fact you didn't ask.
    You made an assumption that her child wasn't under control and was running around knocking things over.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I broke wind in Arnott's yesterday.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

I find ammuaing that the original poster is making excuses for the child. "An accident, he wasn't running around". At the end of the day the parent is 100% responsible for the damage their child did. An damage something they did.

Parents have to accept responsibilty.

I think the original poster should return to the shop, apologise for her own behaviour in assuming entitlement to a free mug, on the bases she bought other stuff and then pay for the broken mug.

I find ammuaing that the original poster is making excuses for the child. An accident, he wasn't running around. At the end of the day the parent is 100% responsible for the damage their child did. An damage something they did.

Parents have to accept responsibilty.

I assume you mean amusing
    I have said repeatedly I do accept responsibility for my child- my question would be the same if I was the one who broke it. Accidents do happen- to us all.
    I was only clarifying the 'running round' issue in response to a query from another person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Jeniflan wrote: »
    I assume you mean amusing
    I have said repeatedly I do accept responsibility for my child- my question would be the same if I was the one who broke it. Accidents do happen- to us all.
    I was only clarifying the 'running round' issue in response to a query from another person.

Accident or not, your child was responsible for damaging an item which can now no longer be sold by the shop. I find it strange that just because it was an accident you fell no responcibility to pay for it. If someone banged your car while you were inside the shop, would it be ok with you if they said it was an accident and they shouldn't have to pay for the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I have worked in retail for over 30 years with various large retailers.

Trust me, all POS systems work generally the same.

No large retailer gives access to stock control to shop assistants.

No shop assistant can discount products.

Ive worked in retail for a largish retailer. The POS they used allowed me to discount. It got reported to management automatically.

• Advertisement

I think the original poster should return to the shop, apologise for her own behaviour in assuming entitlement to a free mug, on the bases she bought other stuff and then pay for the broken mug.

Nothing was on the basis that I bought other items, I just included that as in I was leaving the shop because I was done there.

I don't believe I should apologise for my behaviour- I was not agressive or abusive, surely it is a consumer's right to question something?

I didn't get a free mug...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement