Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Wasn't it reported ortiz turned down 5 million for the fight.

And from this we all surmised he wouldn't pass the testing in place for a Joshua fight. Testing which isn't in place for other fights he is looking at.

It's pretty hard blame Hearn for this imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

pac_man wrote: »
    Jarrell Miller has received a 6 month ban off the WBA. For fcuk sake, what sort of message does that send out? Juice yourself up to the eyeballs lads, sure you'll only get 6 months.

Sure most fighters would only fight that often anyway that's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ASOT wrote: »
    I'd say Ortiz failing a piss tests was to much of a risk for Hearn rather than his fighting ability.

I don't think him failing a test is the main reason it didn't happen, but it would be very bad for Hearn if he did fail a test. Ortiz, even at 40 and off the juice, is a credible threat to Joshua for the first six rounds or so.
    Hearn is well known for losing out on fights for not putting up enough money.
    He is drawing it out to ensure maximum revenue for Joshua before he exposes his cash cow to the real risky fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think Hearn's point about Ortiz not being a stand in fight is fair enough. If he's on juice then def not being made. The problem is that Millar was an easy fight for Joshua. So it was never going to be much of a fight. People were disgruntled that it was made in the first place and now here we are with it fallen apart. This isn't team Joshua's fault but it does mean more waiting for Joshua to take on a credible opponent. Slapping a fee onto it as well is annoying. But the top HWs are all taking easy touches at the moment. I'm more excited about the Whyte Rivas fight as at least it should be competitive. First AJ was going to fight in April and that was too short notice, now june is too so this thing trundles on and on and boxing fans lose out. I don't really subscribe to the arguments too much of who is ducking whom but I'm sick of waiting around on something interesting to happen. Say what you will about big Price but at least he just gets on with it and makes fights. Chisora similar. Why can't the top guys do it too instead of these never-ending cop outs. IT's a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I don't think him failing a test is the main reason it didn't happen, but it would be very bad for Hearn if he did fail a test. Ortiz, even at 40 and off the juice, is a credible threat to Joshua for the first six rounds or so.
    Hearn is well known for losing out on fights for not putting up enough money.
    He is drawing it out to ensure maximum revenue for Joshua before he exposes his cash cow to the real risky fights.
    Not quite true. It was Ortiz's promoter who got greedy and made a balls of the contract talks.
    https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/534302/anthony-joshua-next-fight-eddie-hearn-luis-ortiz/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pighead wrote: »
    Not quite true. It was Ortiz's promoter who got greedy and made a balls of the contract talks.
    https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/534302/anthony-joshua-next-fight-eddie-hearn-luis-ortiz/

I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose,

Why you ask ? If your fighter Aj like Miller found out you will be tested for everything and often, he has cheated before so if he was currently on anything he would Not enough time cycle

I'd be very very surprised if his promoter messed up such a big deal for what would be Ortiz biggest pay day and possibly his only chance to fight AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose,

Why you ask ? If your fighter Aj like Miller found out you will be tested for everything and often, he has cheated before so if he was currently on anything he would Not enough time cycle

I'd be very very surprised if his promoter messed up such a big deal for what would be Ortiz biggest pay day and possibly his only chance to fight AJ
    Quite possibly but either way Eddie Hearn can't be accused of lowballing or trying to avoid Ortiz.

Pighead wrote: »
    Quite possibly but either way Eddie Hearn can't be accused of lowballing or trying to avoid Ortiz.

He doesn’t have to sorrow about low balling when he knows full well Ortiz can’t andwont accept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

If Ruiz wasn't such a blob he'd be a great fighter. Still a good fighter now of course and should be in good shape considering he fought recently. I honestly think he'd give Joshua a tougher fight than Miller.

It's hard to say what he'd be like but at least he's been in with someone like Parker. I don't think Millar should have been allowed anywhere near a title shot but Ruiz is a little more credible. Still think it's going to be a mid round ko for joshua.
    I know I'm repeating myself but the division is in a poor state. The top guys won't meet each other and beneath that it's slim pickings. Pardon the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Usyk entered at no 2 in WBA rankings

ACAguy wrote: »
    Usyk entered at no 2 in WBA rankings

Is it not a bit early for that

Technically a month early as he's fighting takam on 18th. He will go into every top 10 when he wins.

Just watching Eddie Hearn interviewing now. Ortiz turned down $7m and another fight for good money if he lost must be on the juice. Ruiz confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Unless you have unreal power, to beat Joshua I think you need to be able to move on the outside. Ruiz has a 20cm reach disadvantage. He's going to have to come forward, try get inside Joshua's jab and he's gonna get knocked out in the process. It's a great matchup for Joshua.

Can't see Ruiz causing him many problems tbh. Miller wouldn't have either though so it's no downgrade.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Unless you have unreal power, to beat Joshua I think you need to be able to move on the outside. Ruiz has a 20cm reach disadvantage. He's going to have to come forward, try get inside Joshua's jab and he's gonna get knocked out in the process. It's a great matchup for Joshua.

Can't see Ruiz causing him many problems tbh. Miller wouldn't have either though so it's no downgrade.

I agree Ruiz offers absolute nothing its another to just pad the record ,

I agree Ruiz offers absolute nothing its another to just pad the record ,

Totally agree. I don’t mind a champion having an odd easier fight, maybe after a hard one like the wlad fight. But it seems every one of them are at it. AJ yapping about the great undercard there’d be... there’d want to be! The main liner is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ruiz Jr looks like he ate all the pies, what sort of shape will he be in by fight time, 31 days is all he's got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

you see, ruiz is good.. a solid top 10....but for those that dont of him its going to look terrible...a big fat flabby out of shape man getting blown away by joshua, and as good as he is joshua will blow him away because joshua is that level above and hes got the power to do it.

in short, ruiz is good..but he will look awful getting stopped to those who havent seen him before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What kind of money would Joshua be making if he was fighting Ortiz?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

What kind of money would Joshua be making if he was fighting Ortiz?

£20 million at least would be my guess

dougm1970 wrote: »
    you see, ruiz is good.. a solid top 10....but for those that dont of him its going to look terrible...a big fat flabby out of shape man getting blown away by joshua, and as good as he is joshua will blow him away because joshua is that level above and hes got the power to do it.

in short, ruiz is good..but he will look awful getting stopped to those who havent seen him before.

If he looks awful then he’s not got much business fighting for the belts. It’s a nothing fight

squinn2912 wrote: »
    If he looks awful then he’s not got much business fighting for the belts. It’s a nothing fight

erm...no.
    if hes a contender hes a contender, as is entitled to a shot if it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

These type of fights are ok if the champ is fighting every 3 or 4 months, these days it's every 6 months, maybe 9 so the quality of opposition needs to be better.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    These type of fights are ok if the champ is fighting every 3 or 4 months, these days it's every 6 months, maybe 9 so the quality of opposition needs to be better.

ok.
    but fury wont fight him
    wilder wont fight him
    whyte wont fight him
    ortiz wont fight him
    miller cant fight him

so...is ruiz as a legitimate contender in ranking such a bad pick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

ok.
    but fury wont fight him
    wilder wont fight him
    whyte wont fight him
    ortiz wont fight him
    miller cant fight him

so...is ruiz as a legitimate contender in ranking such a bad pick ?

Not sure Wilder wouldn't fight him, I think that's more about Hearn building the fight and also protecting his cash cow.

Whyte would have fought him if the terms were right, it's the life changing pay day he's been working towards since the first fight.

Anyway my post was less about criticising the fight and more about the frequency these guys fight, I'm ok with Ruiz if AJ is out 3 or 4 times a year, less so if he fights once every nine months

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Not sure Wilder wouldn't fight him, I think that's more about Hearn building the fight and also protecting his cash cow.

Whyte would have fought him if the terms were right, it's the life changing pay day he's been working towards since the first fight.

Anyway my post was less about criticising the fight and more about the frequency these guys fight, I'm ok with Ruiz if AJ is out 3 or 4 times a year, less so if he fights once every nine months

ah. i hear you brother. heavyweight champions are a wonder. ali was very busy and toured. dempsey didnt defend his for 3 years.

erm...no.
    if hes a contender hes a contender, as is entitled to a shot if it comes up.

He is not a contender by any stretch
    He isn't ranked by WBO or WBC , ( I only looked at top 15 )
    IBF he is ranked 15th and WBA ranked 11th

Remember this is heavy weight where there is no depth in the divisions Dubious who hasn't eveR fought for a English title is ranked ahead of him ,Sure you have lads with records of 7-0 and 5-0 ranked above him ,

Boxrec is the best indicator of the rankings to be fair given Oquendo is ranking 3 with WBA and he hasnt won a fight in 5 years.

Joyce v Ustinov. Decent stay busy fight with a couple of weeks notice.

Dunno why Hughie Fury doesnt come into the mix with Joyce, Dubois, Gorman

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

The heavyweight division is a mess at the moment. Top guys won't fight each other. Too many promotor's tv networks involved. Can't see any big fights in the division this year. Apart from the top three and maybe whtye there's little else. Fury's next fight is a joke. Wilder is fighting someone who gave aj little trouble and AJ is fighting a game but out of shape Ruiz. I can't see the top three agreeing to fight each other for a long time. Fury seem's to lost his bottle after the Wilder fight. Maybe been nearly ko'd caused that. Actually hope wilder/aj get beat by a bum might open things up. Disgrace that a division that was on it's knees a while back and seemed to be shaping up nicely is been ruined by politics and greed. To be honest it would turn you off boxing.

Advertisement