Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭megadodge

walshb wrote: »

Btw, my advice to Fury would be to go and try KO Wilder....

That's your advice for every fighter! Ever!

Change the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Fury will paw away at Wilder for 12 rounds hoping to beat him on points there's no way he ever stands and trades with him. I think he outboxes Wilder again handy enough. Avoiding the big right is the only obstacle and he barely managed it last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I think fury would be mad to try something new now after getting so much success over the years with the feather jab approach.

He will be however a year older and his lifestyle will almost guarantee he will age a lot quicker than most men.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury will paw away at Wilder for 12 rounds hoping to beat him on points there's no way he ever stands and trades with him. I think he outboxes Wilder again handy enough. Avoiding the big right is the only obstacle and he barely managed it last time.

Does he have to stand and trade in order to hurt Wilder, or better still, stop or KO him?

You are right, though, most likely he tries to peck, poke, paw and swipe his way to a points win...

For me, this is a huge ask. The man should go in, and hit Wilder with his best shots, and every so often, plant his feet and nail him
    hard.... he may well surprise us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Does he have to stand and trade in order to hurt Wilder, or better still, stop or KO him?

You are right, though, most likely he tries to peck, poke, paw and swipe his way to a points win...

For me, this is a huge ask. The man should go in, and hit Wilder with his best shots, and every so often, plant his feet and nail him
    hard.... he may well surprise us all.

He will try that eventually though, in the vlad fight he definitely tried to nail him at times and wobbles him a few times. But Fury needs to stick with what he's good at and hope for the best.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He will try that eventually though, in the vlad fight he definitely tried to nail him at times and wobbles him a few times. But Fury needs to stick with what he's good at and hope for the best.

That was one of the worst heavyweight title fights I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That was one of the worst heavyweight title fights I've seen

I don't think Fury was too worried!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Fury has to fight the fight in whatever style he thinks is most effective. That’s not going to mean planting his feet and banging with wilder that wouldn’t be clever. He got caught last time when he got over eager and disobeyed his corner. Very lucky not to be ko’ed and there’d be some clamour of I told you so then. I feel he’s going into the rematch with a better chance of winning than first time around.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Fury has to fight the fight in whatever style he thinks is most effective. That’s not going to mean planting his feet and banging with wilder that wouldn’t be clever. He got caught last time when he got over eager and disobeyed his corner. Very lucky not to be ko’ed and there’d be some clamour of I told you so then. I feel he’s going into the rematch with a better chance of winning than first time around.

He doesn't need to plant his feet every time. I am proposing every so often he lets rip with real meaning and venom. He has an excellent straight 1-2 combo, and if he can sit down on these shots, then who's to say he cannot really hurt Wilder?

Anyway, the fight is a huge risk, due to to Wilder's lights out power....

Slight adjustments here and there for Fury could see him win.

If he fights the same way as the first fight, then we will be biting our fingernails...

No result would surprise me in this fight, however, a Wilder KO is probably the more favored option; it is up to Fury to stop this. "Kill or be killed" may be his best option...

Come Feb 22 I'll be rooting for Fury by KO just to be proved right!!!;)

He doesn't need to plant his feet every time. I am proposing every so often he lets rip with real meaning and venom. He has an excellent straight 1-2 combo, and if he can sit down on these shots, then who's to say he cannot really hurt Wilder?

Anyway, the fight is a huge risk, due to to Wilder's lights out power....

Slight adjustments here and there for Fury could see him win.

If he fights the same way as the first fight, then we will be biting our fingernails...

No result would surprise me in this fight, however, a Wilder KO is probably the more favored option; it is up to Fury to stop this. "Kill or be killed" may be his best option...

Come Feb 22 I'll be rooting for Fury by KO just to be proved right!!!;)

Haha so that’s you covered for a Wilder KO, a Fury KO or a stink out!

If Fury is winning the fight then he will pick a time to go for it. It’s fairly likely he’ll be ahead on cards and looking good unless wilder charges through him early but I don’t predict that.

I don’t think he should go in with kill or be killed in his head. If wilder leaves himself open he has to go for it but other than that he can’t fight on wilders terms. Modern day ropeadope coming up

• Advertisement

Haha so that’s you covered for a Wilder KO, a Fury KO or a stink out!

If Fury is winning the fight then he will pick a time to go for it. It’s fairly likely he’ll be ahead on cards and looking good unless wilder charges through him early but I don’t predict that.

I don’t think he should go in with kill or be killed in his head. If wilder leaves himself open he has to go for it but other than that he can’t fight on wilders terms. Modern day ropeadope coming up

Nothing to do with being covered.

My bet is Wilder by KO

Am I certain? No.....

Fury by KO would be a small surprise....

Points Fury would not be a surprise really. If Wilder cannot get to the chin clean, then a Fury points win can happen.

Oh, and of course, Wilder on points would not be any surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I think it’s a 50/50 fight. I think every fight between the top 3 is 50/50 which is why it’s so frustrating they won’t fight.

I think the only scenario that we can bet won’t happen is Wilder on points. A Fury by KO is a little less unlikely.

Hopefully Joshua takes on both the winner and loser. As I think these 3 all beat each other over a few fights.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I think it’s a 50/50 fight. I think every fight between the top 3 is 50/50 which is why it’s so frustrating they won’t fight.

I think the only scenario that we can bet won’t happen is Wilder on points. A Fury by KO is a little less unlikely.

Hopefully Joshua takes on both the winner and loser. As I think these 3 all beat each other over a few fights.

I think you've got it spot on. Any one of them could narrowly miss against the other two, or narrowly win but if they all fight each other then you'd have to fancy at least one KO win.

It's funny how nearly can be so far off. I often think of George Groves. Going into the Froch saga he was riding high and very unlucky not to win the first fight. Even during the RSF Froch was untidy and ragged looking. Second fight knocked the stuffing out of him and then didn't he draw with Jack? He was in real danger of becoming a total nearly man.

With these three the beauty of it is that they are or have all been champions so that massive pressure is off them. Contrast that to someone like Joyce or Whyte who will never become champion. Does anyone pose a real threat at the moment to the top 3? People might make a case for Ruiz but not for me.

NewMan1982 wrote: »

It might be the least likely, but hardly not possible. It could well be possible.

The first fight.... a lot of rds where it was difficult to award a winner....

Fury, for me, got far too much credit in "winning" the fight. He may have nicked it on points, but t was far from clear-cut.

Wilder is not that easy to outbox, and Fury, if he has any type of off night, may not find it at all comfortable to win enough rds on points.

It might be the least likely, but hardly not possible. It could well be possible.

The first fight.... a lot of rds where it was difficult to award a winner....

Fury, for me, got far too much credit in "winning" the fight. He may have nicked it on points, but t was far from clear-cut.

Wilder is not that easy to outbox, and Fury, if he has any type of off night, may not find it at all comfortable to win enough rds on points.

That’s fair. Fury getting rounds based on a few pats round the face and it’s exaggerated by the fact that he got up twice. To his credit of course.

Wilder on points depends on how wilder approaches the fight. He fooled Ortiz last time then devastated him. If he wants to win by ko only then he might try the same tactic to tempt fury to over commit. I don’t think they’re the smart tactics for fighting fury though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,894 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That’s fair. Fury getting rounds based on a few pats round the face and it’s exaggerated by the fact that he got up twice. To his credit of course.

Wilder on points depends on how wilder approaches the fight. He fooled Ortiz last time then devastated him. If he wants to win by ko only then he might try the same tactic to tempt fury to over commit. I don’t think they’re the smart tactics for fighting fury though

look at the fight again, fury caught wilder with plenty of hurtful shots as well.

Cyrus wrote: »
    look at the fight again, fury caught wilder with plenty of hurtful shots as well.

He did yea but to suggest he clearly won all but two is far

Seems Joshua has declared he wants Usyk next. Clever. I think he beats him at the moment

I think wilder and Fury both clearly beat Joshua

BDI wrote: »
    I think wilder and Fury both clearly beat Joshua

But how?

What scenario? Just saying clearly is a bit too simple!

Wilder wins via KO is a real possibility....

AJ winning by KO is, too. Their match is a shootout. Can’t see any real clarity. It’s whoever lands clean first...

If they go to points, which would surprise me, I’d definitely take the cleaner and better boxer, AJ..

Fury? Clear? Again, how......points? And if Fury can’t take AJ out, surely you’d have to think that AJ could at least land hard and clean on Fury...AJ a far cleaner and better overall puncher than Wilder...Fury is hurt v AJ, and I see AJ finishing him off..

Can’t see any real clearness that you speak of...

The three of them have their vulnerabilities, hence clearness is just not in the story.

• Advertisement

Seems Joshua has declared he wants Usyk next. Clever. I think he beats him at the moment

I’ll go with AJ via clear KO on this. Within 4 rds..

AJ should be relishing fighting a man far smaller, who is not known as a puncher!

Usyk‘s chin very sturdy? He can win....I have a feeling it’s not sturdy enough when giving away 30 lbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wilder isn’t that good. We all know this....

But he has power...

Btw, my advice to Fury would be to go and try KO Wilder....

Not reckless, just measured, and with some real commitment...

He could play the cautious and safe and careful way, and pray for points....but, for me that is too risky...

Give it a real go, and he may just have enough power to hurt Wilder...

It’s simple: the longer Wilder is still there standing, the more time he is given to obliterate you!

To be honest i think this would be the worst thing Fury could do. If he sits down on his shots he is at an even greater risk of being knocked out in my opinion. I believe if Fury has a good camp, he will be sharper next time, and he will be, what i like to call, ring fit from his tune up fights, which means he is less likely to tire as he did in their first bout, therefore he is less likely to get caught with a ko punch

So what’s your prediction?

But how?

What scenario? Just saying clearly is a bit too simple!

Wilder wins via KO is a real possibility....

AJ winning by KO is, too. Their match is a shootout. Can’t see any real clarity. It’s whoever lands clean first...

If they go to points, which would surprise me, I’d definitely take the cleaner and better boxer, AJ..

Fury? Clear? Again, how......points? And if Fury can’t take AJ out, surely you’d have to think that AJ could at least land hard and clean on Fury...AJ a far cleaner and better overall puncher than Wilder...Fury is hurt v AJ, and I see AJ finishing him off..

Can’t see any real clearness that you speak of...

The three of them have their vulnerabilities, hence clearness is just not in the story.

I think Joshua will be terrified of getting hit. He may dodge Ruiz but wilder will get at him fairly handy with his pure awkward weird punches that come from strange angles and pack power even with no body behind them.

Joshua is too orthodox and robotic to even understand wilders spontaneity. In my opinion.

I think Joshua will be terrified of getting hit. He may dodge Ruiz but wilder will get at him fairly handy with his pure awkward weird punches that come from strange angles and pack power even with no body behind them.

Joshua is too orthodox and robotic to even understand wilders spontaneity. In my opinion.

I get this. But you haven’t even entertained the idea of AJ landing a bomb on Wilder. Can he? Surely it’s likely? And if he can get in first? Like I said, a 3 rds tops shootout....

I get this. But you haven’t even entertained the idea of AJ landing a bomb on Wilder. Can he? Surely it’s likely? And if he can get in first? Like I said, a 3 rds tops shootout....

People underestimate the length of wilder and if he wants to lean back and let you throw for a round or two he can. His defence is decent when he isn’t trying to counter and go forward I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Wilder puts his body into his shots.

The widely puported narrative that his Ortiz ko from a few weeks ago was purely an on the fly arm punch is false.

He clearly twists his torso into the punch and steps a few inches into it. It lands perfectly at about 3 parts full extension too. He also hasn't committed any kinetic energy to the initial jab it's saved purely for the straight right.

All in all a great punch definitely not just an arm punch though.

People underestimate the length of wilder and if he wants to lean back and let you throw for a round or two he can. His defence is decent when he isn’t trying to counter and go forward I think.

I have said similar about him many times. Right long, rangy awkward sod!!!

But I would be confident that a clean AJ power shot could KO him...

Who lands first for me....Wilder a slight favorite!!!

Scenario. Let’s say no KO, or both men have steel chins that see neither knocked out...who you got on points?

I have said similar about him many times. Right long, rangy awkward sod!!!

But I would be confident that a clean AJ power shot could KO him...

Who lands first for me....Wilder a slight favorite!!!

Scenario. Let’s say no KO, or both men have steel chins that see neither knocked out...who you got on points?

I don’t think wilder does points. Joshua on points but no hope of that. I’d say chances go

Wilder ko
    Joshua ko
    Dq for either
    Ref stop fight for outside interference when Fury comes in with a steel chair
    Going 12 rounds and points decision

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I don’t think AJ has suddenly become weak chinned since Ruiz.

He has come through fights with punchers before. Wlad, Povetkin, Parker, Whyte.

I’d say all of them are bigger punchers than Ruiz.

Perhaps there’s truth to the illness rumours. Perhaps it was Ruiz having faster hands in the exchange’s that none of those other mentioned fighters had.

My point being I don’t think we should all assume Joshua will fold every time he takes a heavy shot.

Advertisement