Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,662 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think he Fury still con's people, You always hear he has no power then he gets in with guys like Wlad and Wilder catches them with a couple of stiff jabs and shots early and it keeps them honest ,

I think if he was a heavy hitter those stiff jabs would have Wilder in trouble. If Joshua was connecting with similiar punches on Wilder , it would not a be a case of keeping him honest, Wilder would be wobbled. Tyson would be all but unbeatable if he had heavy hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,852 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think if he was a heavy hitter those stiff jabs would have Wilder in trouble. If Joshua was connecting with similiar punches on Wilder , it would not a be a case of keeping him honest, Wilder would be wobbled. Tyson would be all but unbeatable if he had heavy hands.

Yes, he would be very difficult to beat if he had real punishing power.

He's not feather fisted, but his problem seems to be that he "decides" to be, most of the time. He is content to flick and swipe and paw. When he has the time, space and room to sit down and dig in, he's not that bad a hitter...

His chin for me is more his problem, because he can win with the power he has, but vs. Wilder II, I see Wilder knocking him out. I also see AJ knocking him out, and I would have seen Haye 6-7 yeas ago knocking him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »

He's not feather fisted, but his problem seems to be that he "decides" to be, most of the time. He is content to flick and swipe and paw. When he has the time, space and room to sit down and dig in, he's not that bad a hitter...

His chin for me is more his problem, because he can win with the power he has, but vs. Wilder II, I see Wilder knocking him out. I also see AJ knocking him out, and I would have seen Haye 6-7 yeas ago knocking him out.

He’s identified the points victory as his best avenue for victory. I think he’s right. If he plants his feet he can hit much harder - I agree with you - but he’s also a more motionless target and he can’t rely on his chin. He showed great heart with wilder but he never got tagged clean. A clean wilder hit ruins him. AJ combo likely the same. I can make a case for him against either though and I don’t think wilder would honestly say he wasn’t hurt or in with a man of power in the fight.
    The problem for me is that he looked very poor vs Wallin. He wasn’t hard to hit. The blood and cut explain this to an extent but he didn’t fight well

I see UKAD have just announced a 4 year ban for someone who fought Joe Joyce 18 months ago.

He was caught with ‘multiple substances’ but this is the first we hear of it.

We’ll be waiting a long time before we hear anything else about Whyte.

Bellew also fought the lad 3/4 years ago...Ivica Bacurin.....Croat...

squinn2912 wrote: »
    He showed great heart with wilder but he never got tagged clean. A clean wilder hit ruins him. AJ combo likely the same. I can mak

I’m surprised no Fury nuthuggers have been on to slate you here...

I agree......he was not tagged by a real clean Wilder shot. The two hit combo in the 12th was heavy, but not really a clean connection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Bellew also fought the lad 3/4 years ago...Ivica Bacurin.....Croat...

Just checked his record Dillian Whyte fought him in 2016.

Just checked his record Dillian Whyte fought him in 2016.

Yes. When two cheats go to war...................

I’m surprised no Fury nuthuggers have been on to slate you here...

I agree......he was not tagged by a real clean Wilder shot. The two hit combo in the 12th was heavy, but not really a clean connection...

Ha! Of the 3/4 big guys I like fury the most so they can slate away I don’t care if rather call what I see.

Just that, good hits but no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Was there ever proof that Fury gave his purse to charity? Or was that more Fury lies?
    It’s a fairly despicable thing to lie about.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Was there ever proof that Fury gave his purse to charity? Or was that more Fury lies?
    It’s a fairly despicable thing to lie about.

I haven’t seen any proof.

Anyway, Fury can do no wrong, and whatever wrong he does do, it’s excused because of his “mental health.”

• Advertisement

In haven’t seen any proof.

Anyway, Fury can do no wrong, and whatever wrong he does do, it’s excused because of his “mental health.”

Just to temper that there are many shady characters in boxing and I think a good citizen is rare to see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'd like to see Ortiz Vs Joshua, I think Ortiz is a far better boxer, I reckon Eddie Hearn knows that too and that's why it hasn't happened yet.

I'd like to see Ortiz Vs Joshua, I think Ortiz is a far better boxer, I reckon Eddie Hearn knows that too and that's why it hasn't happened yet.

5 years ago maybe. Wilder might well retire him

I haven’t seen any proof.

Or uncastrated wild boar!!

5 years ago maybe. Wilder might well retire him

Dont see why Ortiz couldn't nick a points win off Wilder next time he outboxed him handy enough for a lot of the last fight, there's just very little that can stop Wilders power.

Dont see why Ortiz couldn't nick a points win off Wilder next time he outboxed him handy enough for a lot of the last fight, there's just very little that can stop Wilders power.

If Ortiz is close to the level he was in fight 1 he could get a KO, providing he is more clinical (should he need to follow up)

Of course, Wilder casn get that KO anytime.....

But I suppose, Ortiz can, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,596 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If Ortiz is close to the level he was in fight 1 he could get a KO, providing he is more clinical (should he need to follow up)

Of course, Wilder casn get that KO anytime.....

But I suppose, Ortiz can, too!

I really like Ortiz and I do think he was kept away from AJ at all cost by Hearn but I see Wilder beating him,

Wilder only took this fight because he had a "flu" the week of the last fight ,Correct me if i'm wrong sure but think i Wilder weighed his lightest ever for that fight which could have been a sign there was a flu,
    He wants to prove it was a one off that Ortiz troubled him

Wilder will smash him this time there’s no way he’d take it unless they were certain.

I really like Ortiz and I do think he was kept away from AJ at all cost by Hearn but I see Wilder beating him,

Wilder only took this fight because he had a "flu" the week of the last fight ,Correct me if i'm wrong sure but think i Wilder weighed his lightest ever for that fight which could have been a sign there was a flu,
    He wants to prove it was a one off that Ortiz troubled him

I believe Wilder was 214 lbs for this

For me Wilder is possibly chinny....if he wasn't I'd be quite confident he knocks Ortiz out.

I think Wilder wins via KO, but I am not at all so sure, and an Ortiz win via KO or points would not at all be a big shock.

Wilder will smash him this time there’s no way he’d take it unless they were certain.

You can't be certain at HW in this type match,.......can you?

I'd understand if it was some absolute nobody, without a punch. Ortiz is not a nobody. And he can punch a bit.

• Advertisement

I'd understand if it was some absolute nobody, without a punch. Ortiz is not a nobody. And he can punch a bit.

Himself and Fury are by far and away the toughest fighters Wilder has faced, they'll both make great rematches (assuming wilder even fights Tyson again).

Himself and Fury are by far and away the toughest fighters Wilder has faced, they'll both make great rematches (assuming wilder even fights Tyson again).

Yes, I actually think if Tyson grew even bigger balls, and committed a bit more to his shots, and threw for more intent and power, he could get Wilder out.....

Of course, has to hope he doesn't get hit by Wilder. I re-watched the fight last night, and Wilder dropped him from a nothing shot in the 9th I think was the rd....

Then the KO shot in the 12th, that was good, but not wow...

But, I saw a fair few decent Fury shots rocking the head iof Wilder.....wee bit more intent and who knows....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Yes, I actually think if Tyson grew even bigger balls, and committed a bit more to his shots, and threw for more intent and power, he could get Wilder out.....

Of course, has to hope he doesn't get hit by Wilder. I re-watched the fight last night, and Wilder dropped him from a nothing shot in the 9th I think was the rd....

But, I saw a fair few decent Fury shots rocking the head iof Wilder.....wee bit more intent and who knows....

I've always thought Fury carries more power than he shows, preferring to keep on his toes. Freddy Roach pointed this out and he's got an eye for puncher. He can definitely sit down on his shots more but as you say, that poses a high risk with Wilder.

I know. But look at the age of him. I predict that he’ll be one step up just one from stiverne 2.

I agree with that but he hasn’t much respect for his own chin. His corner were forcing it down his throat to box and move rather than plant and if he’d done that then he wouldn’t have been caught in 9&12 and almost ko’d.
    I think he got caught in a halfway house. He was doing neither. If he committed then could ko wilder, if he evaded he could win points. He dithered and almost paid the price. In the rematch wilder will risk more. If it goes ahead

So anyone interested in Price Chisora? I think if price can keep Chisora off him for the first two rounds he will jab the head off him. Chisora will be swinging like mad. Spilka just wasn’t ready for frenzy

I agree. I think Fury will be ahead again but get caught. Also Wilder maybe more gung ho next time about seeking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭normanoffside

So anyone interested in Price Chisora? I think if price can keep Chisora off him for the first two rounds he will jab the head off him. Chisora will be swinging like mad. Spilka just wasn’t ready for frenzy

Yeah, as I said on the betting thread I'm looking at 16/1 on a Price pts win

I believe Wilder was 214 lbs for this

For me Wilder is possibly chinny....if he wasn't I'd be quite confident he knocks Ortiz out.

He surprised me when he survived that onslaught. Ortiz can punch. I think Wilder will be cagey again. If Ortiz is at the same level this time around, he may get the victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,837 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

haye wouldnt have knocked fury out, wilder and joshua maybe, i dont think joshua has the same one punch power as Wilder.

Haye didnt knock any elite HWs out.

Advertisement