Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LLI69

Drivers have been told that for years and nothing happens...you have the inside track, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Does anyone know if you can stow a bicycle in the luggage hold with Dublin coach?

they had a facebook post in 2016 saying it was fine, but nothing on their website about it. Wouldn't mind paying for it, if i was sure it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jameslee23

It’s grand on the coaches but just make sure it doesn’t take up all the space. It’s only the mini buses you can’t bring one on

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Fair enough, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AX612

22:30 a now show from Portlaoise tonight (March 27th)

Although I did spot the Volvo Plaxton coach in Portlaoise earlier, that is usually on the 300. Only one Vanhool on tonight too

• Advertisement

I meant a no show above, apologies

Cause the other one is still getting fixed. I’m hoping it’s gonna come back on the route as well.

Other what is getting fixed?

You do realise they've only 1 Plaxton Volvo Coach don't you?

apologies I meant the second 12 double-decker is still in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I have a couple of posts here over the past about my interaction with the NTA on this issue. I have asked them to state what standard they hold the operators to when they are assessing their compliance with licences to operate and they absolutely will not give the information (I suspect they don't have a written standard). The next thing would be to issue a FOI request, however this takes time, that I currently do not have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

There are different types of 'tender' or 'operatorship'. On some routes NTA will seek an operator for the route, usually where it's not profitable i.e. public service routes. Here they decide the frequency, timetable, capacity etc. and pay/subsidise an operator to carry it out. Other routes such as the intercity routes are profitable in their own right but are controlled or licenced by the NTA to prevent over-capacity and/or poor service (726!). I don't really know how these routes come about, whether they are proposed by operators or the NTA and whether operators pay a fee to run on them etc.

from what I’ve heard so far. Dublin Coach will give back the 15 coaches, but there’s no date set when it’s gonna take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

On the topic of the white King Long, it really defies belief considering how little it has been used, relative to the other coaches in the fleet that got absolutely driven into the ground. How long did it sit for in the depot after it was purchased, without moving? It must have half the mileage of the rest of the buses but seemingly with double the problems.. which is really saying something when you're talking about Dublin Coach..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

You also have to take into account the fact that King Long and that particular model when bought new was very cheap for a reason. So whilst I'm sure Dublin Coach are a factor in it's issues, some of them are caused by the fact it being not a fantastic coach to begin with.

You'd be right in saying that devnull. It had problems from day 1 apparently

so I’ve just seen on Facebook in another group chat that stagecoach has got a few double-deckers that sell off like 2016 ones I think they’re too old to be going on the route for the green bus. They need to have newer ones

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

that’s very true, or they could probably just buy. VDL cause that probably what the buses are going to be branded as now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I suppose the question would be how those it impact warranty and maintenance of the existing coaches. Given bankruptcy and buyout, I'm not sure if that would transfer to VDL as well?

Also if Citylink had placed an order for new coaches, have they lost their money now due to bankruptcy, even with the VDL takeover?

There also seems to be questions on what VanHool models will continue with VDL, will the factory in Belgium continue or the new one on Macedonia, there appears to be big layoffs at VanHool. You'd be cautious to buy from them until their is clarity and stability.

Of course Citylink also has a bunch of Volvo and Merc coaches from it's GoBus purchase, so they might go elsewhere in future.

• Advertisement

warranties on buses normally last about five years so I’m guessing maybe 2020 might still probably have a bit of warranty on them and the current double-decker I say it’s just gonna be discontinued because as far as I know the last time that was refreshed was about 10 years ago

I'm not sure how accurate it is but according to bustimes.org, they have 3 x 2023 reg Van Hools and almost 20 x 2021 reg ones.

that is even less than I was even thinking like I can definitely see Citylink put the 2017 double deckers up for sale this year

Sorry, I should say that is just coaches bought in the 2020's and not including the GoBus ones, they have lots of older coaches, according to bustimes they have 78 vehicles actively seen in the past month. Of course may not be perfectly accurate:

https://bustimes.org/operators/citylink/vehicles

i’ve just had a look at them there now they older than I actually was expecting. I say for now on they just buy Volvo ones now.

update VDL offer has been accepted so that means we wait-and-see what happens I’ve no update about what’s gonna come to the company or not

the 221 double-decker was on the 726 yesterday evening around 8 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Seen that decker on the quays in Dublin yesterday afternoon or possibly an other one.

For a 221 it looks a shambles. Drove by it and panels where hanging off or damaged. The Bumpers looked like they had just come off the bumper cars at Funderland. Dublin bus still has AX'S, VT'S and EV'S That are 18+ and still look brand new.

the 06 that Dublin bus owns. I was told that they’ll all be gone before next year cause they’re reducing the fleet now that they only operate 50% of the routes they did in 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Advertisement