Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

I'll try get a bit of info tomorrow, tbh the mind boggles how them neoplans are still on the road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

They have got money from somewhere. Along with the 30 new Mercedes, A "Large" double deck order is on the way.

There's somewhat of a disconnect here, they can place a large order for single deck coaches and a large order for double deck coaches which is hardly going to be cheap even if it's leased which indicates that they are not short of a few bob.

Yet last year they were adding pretty much every single 12 year old ex Aircoach Setra they could get their hand on and the state of some of their vehicles has not been great to say the least which indicates that they did not have a large amount of resources.

Either they have got a massive investment of cash from somewhere or are making huge profits or they actively decided to run the operation with tired, hard worked vehicles that were past their best as an operational decision to save money despite having cash?

Theres a lot of talk doing the rounds. One story I have heard a few times now is that a good friend of the owner who is in the Horse racing game has invested.

The other story doing the rounds is they lost 1.5 million or there abouts when one of their open top buses hit a Luas earlier in the year. I don't know if this was a fine or compensation claims from the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wonder is he doing similar to how he sold off air coach as they used lease and vehicles were well cared for.

I don't like the merc vehicles as they just look real out dated and cheap.

Poor they have no DRLs or led lighting at the rear.

The setras were amazing to look at with their led front indicators and xenon dipped beams.

I know the rears weren't led but the light clusters aged well I believe.

Love the horns on them also very distinctive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Did anyone actually see this on fire today? This could be the one that's been sitting in Corcorans yard for a while, just been moved from there.

Those photos are from today people are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Those photos are from today people are saying.

Ah lads, not another bus gone on fire?

Unbelievable, so in the space of two weeks they have lost a bus and two coaches to fire. Not forgetting the Setra that lost its wheels, reports that's beyond repair as the axle is badly damaged.

myshirt wrote: »
    Ah lads, not another bus gone on fire?

It sure is.

Unbelievable, so in the space of two weeks they have lost a bus and two coaches to fire. Not forgetting the Setra that lost its wheels, reports that's beyond repair as the axle is badly damaged.

Spot on.

Theres a lot of talk doing the rounds. One story I have heard a few times now is that a good friend of the owner who is in the Horse racing game has invested.

That wouldn't surprise me, because the owner was always involved with horse and greyhound racing quite a bit and believe owns some of his own greyhounds, hence the tie ups that Dublin Coach often have with various Horse and Greyhound racing values and their special services to such events.
    I wonder is he doing similar to how he sold off air coach as they used lease and vehicles were well cared for.

Thing was when the owner was running Aircoach they were not running anywhere near as much of an elderly fleet as Dublin Coach are now, Aircoach typically always went for new vehicles apart from the odd transfer from within First, which honestly was a very small number of vehicles in the overall context to fill a gap.
    The setras were amazing to look at with their led front indicators and xenon dipped beams. I know the rears weren't led but the light clusters aged well I believe. Love the horns on them also very distinctive.

The new ones are very nice as well, unfortunately they are not being made for the UK and Ireland market. The double decker variant is probably the best coach I've been on but the sheer cost of them means they're exceptionally rare on service work in the UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement

I always thought that the Setra horns sounded like something you'd expect from a railcar. The IE 29000s definitely sound similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I went for a job there last year, thank god I didn’t get it.

That explains it.

tabbey wrote: »
    That explains it.

Oh yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Just one point to note. I don't see any drivers or ex drivers for dublin coach on here complaining about terms and conditions there etc so yes while they may run a shabby service at times surely due to the shortage of drivers in the country they can't be that bad to work for.

soundman45 wrote: »
    Just one point to note. I don't see any drivers or ex drivers for dublin coach on here complaining about terms and conditions there etc so yes while they may run a shabby service at times surely due to the shortage of drivers in the country they can't be that bad to work for.

There was a very defensive comment on here the other day of Dublin Coach on a newly registered account, most likely a re-reg/troll.

The comment and account were removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

They probably can't afford Broadband......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Truckermal wrote: »
    They probably can't afford Broadband......:p

Or only think boards are the things in the floor of the coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I'm actually getting up earlier just to get the Kavanaghs bus to the airport as Dublin Coach drivers ignored antisocial behaviour from drunks at 3.30am.

Worth the lack of sleep.

I'm actually getting up earlier just to get the Kavanaghs bus to the airport as Dublin Coach drivers ignored antisocial behaviour from drunks at 3.30am.

Worth the lack of sleep.

If I was in the same position I’d make the same decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Worth the lack of sleep.

I would imagine that Dublin Coach drivers ignore it because on a coach they do not have a perspex cab like DB drivers so they may pitting themselves at risk. Also they may given performance based targets and/or bonuses for on time arrivals so perhaps waiting for Garda assistance would delay this and Dublin Coach might not back up its employees in a court of law, do Dublin Coach buses have CCTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

I've heard and read reports of many DC drivers having very little English so that might partly explain it.

There was a very defensive comment on here the other day of Dublin Coach on a newly registered account, most likely a re-reg/troll.

The comment and account were removed.

That particular poster was a re-reg who has registered several hundred accounts over the past few months looking to troll and generally create disharmony.

I would be surprised if they have a connection with Dublin Coach, considering they claimed they work for all of DB/IE/BE in the space of a few hours!

- Moderator.

devnull wrote: »
    That particular poster was a re-reg who has registered several hundred accounts over the past few months looking to troll and generally create disharmony.

I would be surprised if they have a connection with Dublin Coach, considering they claimed they work for all of DB/IE/BE in the space of a few hours!

- Moderator.

Cheers for the clarification Dev.

I went for the JJ Kavanagh 2.50am this morning - Portlaoise to Airport.

Was late and arrived 3.17am. Got to see who'd be on the 3 30am DC. Proved me right!!!

Was late and arrived 3.17am. Got to see who'd be on the 3 30am DC. Proved me right!!!

Drunks?

Drunks?

And a few pills I'd warrant mate.

And a few pills I'd warrant mate.

Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Any bus drivers following this tread just to let you know jj kavanagh has add on jobs.ie looking for drivers don't know any details but could be good if someone looking for a change of job etc.

Any bus drivers following this tread just to let you know jj kavanagh has add on jobs.ie looking for drivers don't know any details but could be good if someone looking for a change of job etc.

Pity they don't cover my area. I'd love to go back driving coaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

They could always throw caution to the wind and try here......

https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/careers/

:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement