Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to have a look at how people can get Irish passports?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Time for you to shut it on who you think qualifies.
    I think my kids are qualified and the law says the same.
    Not only that my kids are Irish no matter what small minded people like you say . It says it on their passport and it's in their genes :).
    All my family think their Irish too and I have Irish relatives all over the world.

Anything else is just waffle and pure spite.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

maninasia wrote: »
    Time for you to shut it on who you think qualifies.

Mod note:

Please dont backseat moderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

..my kids are Irish no matter what small minded people like you say.
    Relax dude. We're talking about your grandchildren. Would they be Irish too, even if your kids had no interest in ever setting foot in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yes according to the law they would and I like it that way.
    I admit the case is more debatable for them but you start taking about taking away citizens rights (disenfranchising citizens and citixens children) expect a big reaction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Man in Asia banned for 3 days. Please read the charter again before posting. Other posters please dont respond to his posts during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

seamus wrote: »
    I'm wondering what the problem is that's attempting to be solved here?

Irish passports being given out to people who are legally entitled to them. Why is that a problem?

What happens when an Irish passport holder with no real connection to Ireland and who has never been here gets himself caught up in some drama abroad he had no business with? It becomes our problem, our DFA has to send an envoy to him and liase with the local government and advocate for him. Passports are as much a diplomatic issue as a travel issue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How often does that happen though? I think policy should be based on realities, not "what ifs". If it starts to become an issue, then maybe reconsider current citizenship laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Thomas__

recedite wrote: »
    ..my kids are Irish no matter what small minded people like you say.
    Relax dude. We're talking about your grandchildren. Would they be Irish too, even if your kids had no interest in ever setting foot in Ireland?

By your argumentation, you´re barring them the way to settle down in Ireland and force them to do so as foreigners who have to apply for residence permission and that in spite of their Irish descendancy. Further, as your stance is very much in general terms, it makes it even more cruel to those whose parents left Ireland to find work abroad and raised their family there and as you´re totally omitting the posibility that such families would one day return to Ireland and taking their siblings with them, it comes across as very harsh and that would constitute a consitutional problem.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Please don't post on a 5 year old thread - Create a new thread if you have a topic of interest to discuss.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement