Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Disaster Artist (the making of The Room)

Options
13»

Comments

I really didn't think Daniel Kaluuya was anything special in Get Out. Sure, it wasn't a bad performance, but he's just the lead in a hit movie and that's about it. Franco was something special in the Disaster Artist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Got to feel sorry for Wiseau. He puts his heart and soul into his movie and gets laughed at. Someone else comes along and makes a movie about Wiseau’s journey and that gets nominated for awards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

faceman wrote: »
    Got to feel sorry for Wiseau. He puts his heart and soul into his movie and gets laughed at. Someone else comes along and makes a movie about Wiseau’s journey and that gets nominated for awards!

At least it eventually turned a profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

But he should be happy cause in the wrong hands this could have been made into quite a silly film, making a joke out of Wiseau. But that's the great thing about Disaster Artist, It actually makes you respect Wiseau warts and all, You can tell from Sestero's book, to the script and to James Franco's performance that they clearly like and respect him although they don't shy away from his bad parts. The Film has a heart plus Wiseau has made a good living out of his film and has a loyal following which will get bigger after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I seen it the other day on a day off, I was aware of The Room and had seen a few clips on Youtube but had to watch it fully after seeing this.

I think both Francos were very good in their role but James was excellent playing Tommy, he pretty much nailed all his mannerisms seen on film too.

I throughly enjoyed it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

You should all keeep your stupid comments in your pocket.

That’s a promise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Another way of looking at it - man with what looks an awful lot like narcissistic personality disorder, who is very secretive about his national origin, age, and the provenance of his significant personal wealth writes a (presumably dreadful, and at minimum rambling and incoherent) film script centred on one of the most concentraded Mary Sue characters ever written, then personally bankrolls and directs the filming of said script while having no knowledge or experience of any of the myriad craft elements involved in making a film - and seemingly refusing to take the advice of the crew that he has hired to make his film. Man then insists on spending further money promoting said film and keeping it in circulation despite the pronounced negative response to it on its initial release.

Wiseau deserves respect for seeing the film production process through to the end and getting his film made. But that's it. He also deserves mockery and derision for the complete lack of self-awareness involved in everything from the script, through his performance, all the way to things like his continued efforts to submit his works to awards committees.

schmoyoho, AKA the Gregory Brothers, have done an excellent Songify of the Room.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

there was an implication in the movie that tommy wasn't the same after an accident? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I really enjoyed this. For a comedy about one of the worst films ever made I thought it was remarkably kind. Another film would have really ripped into Tommy. The laughs were at his expense but at the same time there was a lot of affection there.

James Franco was terrific. I hope he gets some recognition come awards time but normally the Oscars tend to overlook comedic roles. He might snag a Golden Globe though.

The first time I heard of The Room was when I saw Kristen Bell interviewed on some US chat show where she raved about it. So I've always associated the film with her. When she popped up as the first talking head I laughed.

I'm surprised no cinema in Dublin has put on a double bill with this and The Room. Unless they have and I've totally missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thankfully got to see this last night before it leaves cinemas.... despite the incredibly bad foreign gross, the screen I was in in Galway was about two thirds full as well!

Great film though - Dave Franco is good, but James Franco is so outrageously good as Tommy Wiseau I continuously forgot that I was indeed watching James Franco. He nails the mannerisms so well - even the little laugh is just so beyond perfect.

You don't have to have actually seen 'The Room' to enjoy this movie but it would go a long way - and the Disaster Artist is essential viewing for anyone who has.

Loved the side by side scenes at the end as well - the attention to detail in this movie is just superb and there's a great supporting cast with some great cameos as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Nominated for Best Picture Musical/Comedy and James Franco for Best actor at golden globes
    Win for Franco

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He even brought Tommy up on stage with him when accepting the award, the look on Hugh Jackman’s face was priceless, utter shock and disgust. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Jaysus I had to turn this off after the diner scene because of James Franco. He's normally OK but I couldn't hack him in this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

martyos121 wrote: »
    He even brought Tommy up on stage with him when accepting the award, the look on Hugh Jackman’s face was priceless, utter shock and disgust. :pac:

I'll be honest when watching the video I was right there with Jackman re Franco's treatment and handling of Wiseau. He wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise (which I understand, they don't get given much time to speak) but his acceptance speech then includes borderline mockery of Tommy with him standing beside him.

I don't know, it just didn't feel very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Anyway have tickets booked for The Room at Prince Charles on Feb 11. Looking forward to it cause Tommy and Greg are in attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sandy Schklair is doubling down on claims that he directed The Room and amped up some of Tommy's ideas to the point that they became so bad that they're good! Via The Hollywood Reporter
    “I directed this entire movie, except for the love scenes and the second unit stuff in San Francisco,” he tells The Hollywood Reporter, claiming that, rather than Tommy, he was the one looking through the camera, setting up shots and giving instructions to the cast.

But in the original 2013 book The Disaster Artist, written by Greg Sestero (Wiseau’s close friend and The Room co-star) together with Tom Bissell, Schklair is given more credit than simply script work: “Sandy helped set up eyelines, blocked scenes, worked on the dialog, and established a basic through-line of minimum coherence,” it says, later adding he was the “only reason we’d gotten anything remotely watchable on film.”

“Anything in The Disaster Artist that shows Tommy directing, this never happened, ever,” says Schklair, who adds that unless Wiseau was actually appearing in a scene he often didn’t even show up on set (his continued lateness is remarked upon in The Disaster Artist).

He has admitted though that he only started writing his own book when he heard The Disaster Artist has been optioned. If it's not going to go away, he might as well profit and get credit if due, I suppose.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m not saying he’s definitely lying, but it’s funny how he releases these claims when The Room has hit its absolute peak in popularity and when everyone wants a word with anyone involved with the original film.

Massive, massive coincidence eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,640 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

martyos121 wrote: »

I was surprised at Jackman normally good in defeat, all round nice guy

I haven't seen the flick but after seeing real Tommy at Globes, Franco does a good job going off trailer

Franco in trouble now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5248487/James-Franco-smiles-despite-sexual-harassment-claims.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'll be honest when watching the video I was right there with Jackman re Franco's treatment and handling of Wiseau. He wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise (which I understand, they don't get given much time to speak) but his acceptance speech then includes borderline mockery of Tommy with him standing beside him.

I don't know, it just didn't feel very good.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge it, Tommy Wiseau is genuinely quite a whackjob and could have been liable to say absolutely anything, really....I think James Franco was was more a 'whoah, can't subject the Golden Globes to this'.

Tommy has embraced the whole affair and The Room's status as the best so-bad-its-good movie ever made in general whole heartedly, I think Franco doing his bit on stage was not really any issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Can't believe I waited so long to see this but glad i did because it was a great way to end the Easter weekend. Absolutely hilarious and Franco nailed it. Brilliant film.

Advertisement