Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Disaster Artist (the making of The Room)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Curious about this too. My gf has not seen The Room and I wonder if she'd get away with seeing this without the reference points. i.e. can it be enjoyed as a movie in and of itself. I've no doubt it can, but the enjoyment may be lessened.

The film is fantastic even without seen the Room, the story is more about the Friendship between Tommy and Greg and the scenes set around the Room are some of the funniest even if you haven't seen it. I think that's the great thing about The Disaster Artist, it pleases the fans of the Room and works well for ones who haven't seen it. I say if she loves her comedy with a bit of heart then she love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Curious about this too. My gf has not seen The Room and I wonder if she'd get away with seeing this without the reference points. i.e. can it be enjoyed as a movie in and of itself. I've no doubt it can, but the enjoyment may be lessened.

Having seen the Room previously and knowing a lot about it's history certainly helps and raises the enjoyment value but I wouldn't say it's essential. If nothing else I'd show her one of the best of compilations on youtube and she'd get the gist! If she's not willing to watch the whole film, I'd say she will after seeing Disaster Artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Having seen the Room previously and knowing a lot about it's history certainly helps and raises the enjoyment value but I wouldn't say it's essential. If nothing else I'd show her one of the best of compilations on youtube and she'd get the gist! If she's not willing to watch the whole film, I'd say she will after seeing Disaster Artist.

It seems to me you're the EXPERT grimm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Going tonight with two who I don't think had a chance to watch The Room. Will report back.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I loved it. Recently heard that Franco (James, not Dave) was tipped for Oscars and, while it might have been a joke, I really think he should be. Watching it I totally forgot I was watching Franco and entirely bought into him as Wiseau. He was Wiseau. The mannerisms, the way he spoke. At the end when they showed the side-by-side comparison (not a spoiler, I don't think), I was amazed at how much detail Franco put in; there's one scene, where they're wasted, and Wiseau touches his ribs/side. Franco gets it in the exact same spot. That's an incredible eye for detail.

As much as I loved it, I'd be curious to know what someone who hasn't seen the Room would think of it. A lot of the humour might be lost.

I haven't seen The Room. Just read up on it on wikipedia. I thought The Disaster Artist was the most enjoyable movie I've seen this year by a long way. I'm going to go again no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I haven’t laughed at a movie like I laughed at The Disaster Artist in... gosh, a long time. Absolutely hilarious. Franco (both of them but James mainly) are outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Really enjoyed it and the side by side comparisons showed how they nailed it - was hoping we'd have the behind the scenes footage as well to compare Franco to. Delivery is incredible and there's definitely moments where James Franco IS Tommy. Seth Rogan's character is essentially the reaction of people watching The Room for the first time :D

Definitely recommend this. Friend who hadn't seen The Room and friend who had both rated it 4/5 on Letterbox. Think you might get a little more out of having seen The Room, but not essential viewing and you may be encouraged to watch it after the fact.

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To quote Tommy Wiseau, “The [Disaster Artist] book is about 40% accurate. The movie is 99.9999999%”. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Loved it. Tommy is such a character, that it's great to get an idea of what he's like from Greg's perspective. James Franco probably gave the performance of his career in this one, but the whole cast were great, with some fantastic cameos. I must pick up the a copy of the book at some point, as I'm sure it delves into everything in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I wouldn't say it is the best film of 2017, but it is my favourite. I was glued to the screen and along with the 6 other people at the screening, laughing and snorting obnoxiously throughout.

These guys were making clever, well thought out comedies for years but were slightly wide of the mark of making one I personally liked. I felt that there was something cynical and self-agrandising about them. This, though was on point. It respected the source material and even when wiseau was acting so horribly to the people around him (in every sense of the word), you were still rooting for him and felt every ounce of his pain during the premier screening, when the audience were laughing at his work.

The amount of screenings this had so far is poor and I had to go further out of my way to find a showing than I would have liked to. I hope word of mouth catches on, as it is a genuinely good film and deserves to be successful.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

For a real life Irish Tommy Wiseau check out Nathan Slattery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6630203/
    IMDB wrote:
    In 2004, Nathan auditioned for Warner Brothers "Superman Returns"and the Casting Director mentioned that Nathan would play a great villain. After not being granted the role, Nathan travelled to China and Mongolia where he bought a souvenir box of terra cotta soldiers. The magic box was the genesis for the idea for his 4 award winning time travel Sci-Fi film "Biopsy Shake."

Wow! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Brilliant, one of the best films of 2017.

It's not perfect sure; the why Tommy made the movie scenes were a bit too on the nose for the pumpkin's liking and didn't need to be there (jealous of Babyface, yeah we get it), and some of the more interesting parts of The Disaster Artist book (the rumor of Tommy using the movie as a money laundering scheme because of crime connections) were not there, that would have been nice to see.

But here's the thing: it's incredibly funny, batshit insane, and the two Franco brothers are fantastic in it.

I like the tonal shift as well. Like The Death of Stalin, the movie is straight up hilarious before it takes a more serious, straight up dark turn in its second half, and it works really well.

The movie premier scene was just fucking glorious out like.

I'm definitely going to see this again in the next while lol.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Cool_CM wrote: »

Even better.

His former Irish agent mentioned that Nathan reminds her of a young Richard Harris.

It says at the end he wrote that bio himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The real fun on this begins second page in.

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199325

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Or Jimmy Bennett, Trim's very own Van Damme?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX4td1XCkP0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Absolutely loved this, definitely worth a repeat cinema viewing, it hit all the right balances between the bizarre hilarity of The Room and depicting the frictional friendship between Tommy and Greg as the underdogs in the setting of Hollywood

The movie deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Film and James Franco deserves a nomination for Best Actor for this, though whether either would win is unlikely in stuck up Hollywood. Excellent performance aswell from Dave Franco you never once thought two brothers were playing both lead roles

I would recommend anybody who hasn't seen The Room to watch it first, you will get that extra bit enjoyment watching the Disaster Artist after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fantastic stuff. The two Francos were excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Saw this in the Gate cork and I think they made a mistake putting it in screen 3. The showing last Thursday was packed out and a few straglers were left disappointed.

Really enjoyed it, I think it's the most laughter I've heard in a cinema audience, brilliant from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Saw it tonight and was quite disappointed. I’m a massive Franco/Rogen fan so really wanted to like this but I just couldn’t. Don’t think there was one laugh out loud scene at all, screening I was in was half empty and very quiet throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is there anyone that hasn't seen the Room or had prior knowledge of it? I'd be so curious to hear your opinion.
    I hadn't heard of The Room before this - so I'm watching this "best bits" video. I had to stop halfway, thought I was going to choke from laughing so hard. The continuity errors alone ... :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Great film, very funny and nicely handled. It could have easily been something to just point and laugh at Wiseau but it's quite touchingly told. Hats off to James Franco. I must complement his brother too, I've never really cared for him as an actor, he's fine for his bit parts in stupid comedies but this was good to see him broaden his range and show that he has more potential.

There were people in the audience that completely distracted me from the film, from one guy who had the most high pitched, ridiculous laugh for parts of the films that are just mildly funny, to the people beside me constantly getting up and down for a piss. Then for each other to loudly explain what the other missed once they returned. It might mean I should go see the film again.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

There were people in the audience that completely distracted me from the film, from one guy who had the most high pitched, ridiculous laugh for parts of the films that are just mildly funny, to the people beside me constantly getting up and down for a piss. Then for each other to loudly explain what the other missed once they returned. It might mean I should go see the film again.:cool:

I'm at risk of derailing the thread here but I have to agree with you. The cinema experience has gone seriously downhill for me in the past 5 years, since the ubiquity of smartphones really. I actually moved seats at the start of this film because a chap in front of me pulled out his phone and started having a conversation during the opening credits, then I got stuck between two talking couples for the rest of the film. I've ended up having a few arguments in the cinema due to bad behaviour but you end up sitting there uncomfortable for the remainder of the film, so now I just leave it. Can't win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm at risk of derailing the thread here but I have to agree with you. The cinema experience has gone seriously downhill for me in the past 5 years, since the ubiquity of smartphones really. I actually moved seats at the start of this film because a chap in front of me pulled out his phone and started having a conversation during the opening credits, then I got stuck between two talking couples for the rest of the film. I've ended up having a few arguments in the cinema due to bad behaviour but you end up sitting there uncomfortable for the remainder of the film, so now I just leave it. Can't win really.

It was all enthusiastic fans, some a bit too overly enthusiastic. The pair beside me seemed to be fans of the original and then I heard the guy say to the girl "we gotta watch that film" i.e. for the first time. So then I was confused why they were laughing at early mannerisms of James Franco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Nominated for Best Picture Musical/Comedy and James Franco for Best actor at golden globes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah one of the best films of the year for sure. Easily James' best role to date, never a massive fan of a lot of the silly lowbrow comedies he does but this seems like his Eternal Sunshine or Punch Drunk Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it tonight (before it's forced out by Star Wars across at least 5 screens).

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Batsh*t crazy and hard to believe that it's a true story. The split screen at the end was great.

Isn't it incredible to think that a movie based on the making of the worst movie ever made is being nominated for Golden Globes/tipped for Oscars?

It's like what Wiseau always dreamed -- he's starring in an Oscar nominated movie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

One of the more enjoyable films I've seen this year. Franco's mannerisms are brilliant and what made it great for me was that you don't necessarily need to have seen "The Room" to enjoy this madness. I did some reading after the film and discovered that Wiseau was actually even nuttier in real life. For example:
    • Greg Sestero had no interest in acting in The Room (2003) and originally only intended to serve as the film's line producer, and Tommy Wiseau had cast a different actor to play Mark. Wiseau spontaneously decided the night before filming began that he wanted Sestero to play the role, and Sestero reluctantly accepted after Wiseau offered him a substantial pay raise and a new car. Rather than telling the original actor that he had been replaced, Wiseau had him come to set and perform his scenes for weeks, but instructed the camera crew not to roll any film.
    • In his book, Greg Sestero stated after his first rehearsal with Tommy Wiseau they played soccer, not football as shown in the film, though Wiseau still shouted "touchdown" after scoring a goal on Sestero.
    • In The Room, the character of Peter, the glasses wearing psychiatrist friend who falls down while playing football, suddenly disappears and a new character named Steven appears in the movie with no introduction and speaking lines that would logically have made sense with Peter. However, The Disaster Artist film makes no mention of this and seemingly implies that Peter (played here by Nathan Fielder) was present for the entire film.
    • In almost every interview for The Disaster Artist, James Franco mentions that Tommy Wiseau approves of "99.9%" of the film. His only objections were the lighting of the first scene, which Franco believes was because Tommy was wearing sunglasses when watching the scene.
    • After viewing The Talented Mr. Ripley for the first time, Sestero is struck by how similar Wiseau is to the title character and convinces him to see the film. However, instead of recognizing his own behavior, Wiseau is deeply impressed by the performance and becomes obsessed with creating a movie just as emotionally powerful. The result is the screenplay for The Room, which includes a character, Mark, named after actor Matt Damon (whose name Wiseau had misheard).

Also, to think that there's a very wealthy man out there that no one seems to know where he comes from or how old he is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Nominated for Best Picture Musical/Comedy and James Franco for Best actor at golden globes

I could see him winning the Golden Globe, although Daniel Kaluuya from Get Out might nick it from him as Critics and Award committees are in love with Get Out.

But the front runner is Franco, I could see him winning the Oscar but I wouldn't be surprised if they throw it the way of Oldman cause of his overall career.

Advertisement