Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Disaster Artist (the making of The Room)

Options
  • 19-07-2017 3:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Full Disclosure, I've never actually watched The Room start to end, but I'm more than familiar with its more infamous moments thanks to cultural osmosis / the internet :D

Anyway, this film is supposedly based on a tell-all written by one of the actors from the film, Greg Sestero (Oh hai Mark)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Another who has never seen the film in its entirety but have pissed myself laughing at the infamous scenes.

Upon hearing of this film, I looked into the story of the book a bit and the guy sounds even more cracked than the film suggests. One thing that I'll miss about the film is the guy's distinctive accent which doesn't come across in that trailer. The guy who wrote the book does a brilliant impression of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭fluke

Another who has never seen the film in its entirety but have pissed myself laughing at the infamous scenes.

Upon hearing of this film, I looked into the story of the book a bit and the guy sounds even more cracked than the film suggests. One thing that I'll miss about the film is the guy's distinctive accent which doesn't come across in that trailer. The guy who wrote the book does a brilliant impression of it.

Apparently the audiobook guy does a good impression. Wonder if that is also the author?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hoping to see The Room tonight at long last; like yourselves, have seen some of the infamous clips but feel I should witness the full movie in all its glory! Am looking forward to seeing this take on the making of though :D

🤪

The Room is best enjoyed with a group of people. I saw it at a screening as part of a club, with about 30 other people. Everyone interacted with the movie - shouting "SPOOOON!" any time a spoon appeared in the background (he ran out of money on set design, so they put spoons in picture frames), SAN FRANCISCO! any time a random landscape was shown, quoting along with the movie, or just shouting at it.

It definitely isn't the kind of movie that you watch to enjoy, as such, so it makes it the perfect time to experience something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

A24 look like having another hit on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Recently just read the book. A must read.

Really looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 85,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Franco as Tommy Wiseau getting Oscar buzz, Franco also directs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Wow a film that I'm actually looking forward to paying money to see in a cinema instead of downloading for free 6 months later, watching 15 minutes of, then deleting. If any **** are thinking of starting that "spoons" sh1te at the showing, I'll tear you apart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’m super psyched about seeing this. I know one of the main characters in the original film. He has good things to say about The Disaster Artist too.

Working on bringing him to Dublin next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I can't wait for this. I'd love if somewhere in Dublin did The Room/Disaster Artist Double Bill, but I doubt anywhere will. The Lighthouse is probably the only place that'd even consider it.

Oh hi Mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Was at the cineworld unlimited showing of this last night. Loved it, funniest film I've seen in a long time, was genuinely laughing out loud along with most of the cinema throughout. Will likely see it again when it comes out on general release.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RebeccaY

@grimm2005 Hey just wondering how did you get tickets to this? I've always wanted to go to their preview screenings but I can never find info about tickets

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught the Unlimited screening on Monday and thought it was very good, great performances from the Francos and very entertainingly told. From what I've read of the actual making of the film some details were fiddled to make for better drama, but to some extent I guess that's to be expected.

I have read claims of there being a post-credits scene, which I missed - I left after the various side by side comparisons between the actual film and the scene recreations in TDA. Anyone want to use spoiler tags and tell me what it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Room is best enjoyed with a group of people. I saw it at a screening as part of a club, with about 30 other people. Everyone interacted with the movie - shouting "SPOOOON!" any time a spoon appeared in the background (he ran out of money on set design, so they put spoons in picture frames), SAN FRANCISCO! any time a random landscape was shown, quoting along with the movie, or just shouting at it.

It definitely isn't the kind of movie that you watch to enjoy, as such, so it makes it the perfect time to experience something like that.

I really don't get this, I used to watch the occasional crap SciFi channel film for a while before turning over in anger. How can anyone sit through an entire sh1t film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Ipso wrote: »
    I really don't get this, I used to watch the occasional crap SciFi channel film for a while before turning over in anger. How can anyone sit through an entire sh1t film.

Because it keeps surprising you with its ****tiness. Something's are just bad. But others are so bad they cross over into something hilarious and kind of fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

RebeccaY wrote: »
    @grimm2005 Hey just wondering how did you get tickets to this? I've always wanted to go to their preview screenings but I can never find info about tickets

You need to be a unlimited cineworld member, you pay €21 something a month and can go see any movie for free as many times as you want, except 3d and imax, you need to pay a lil for them, though 3d is completely free also after your first year. And for imax you pay around €6 for the ticket. You also get 10% off food and drinks (25% after first year) and then you can also book a seat in the unlimited preview screenings.

Its well worth getting if you live near cineworld, if you go to the cinema more than twice a month it pays for itself..

I used to go weekly and then some so it was great value :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Saw this last night.

Absolutely fantastic adaptation. I've been a fan of The Room since before The Disaster Artist book was released and so I never thought they'd capture the essence of the movie and characters so well - "huh huh huh, you can't adapt theeeeeeees", but I was wrong.

Both Franco brothers turned in great performances, particularly James. Casting was excellent and the movie itself was absolutely hilarious. It definitely helps to be familiar with The Room, but I hope that it'll be able to stand on its own feet for the uninitiated too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ipso wrote: »

For most bad films the creators have no love for the film. However with The Room Wiseau believed he was creating a masterpiece, giving the project his utmost dedication and commitment. Also his lack of understanding of script writing and to some degree, the English language, add to the bonkers.

It’s a masterpiece.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

faceman wrote: »
    For most bad films the creators have no love for the film. However with The Room Wiseau believed he was creating a masterpiece, giving the project his utmost dedication and commitment. Also his lack of understanding of script writing and to some degree, the English language, add to the bonkers.

It’s a masterpiece.

It's a fascinating look at what happens when somebody with no significant talent, no self-awareness, no knowledge of craft, seemingly little understanding of how people behave and interact, and a significant amount of available cash decides that they're going to take on a creative project. And not only that, but he then spent more money promoting it when almost anyone else would have just abandoned it as a loss.

The only other thing I can think of with comparable subject matter is Welcome To Me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Going to see this soon! Excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I thought it was absolutely magnificent lads. It somehow manages to be hilariously tragic and life-affirming at the same time. If Franco somehow wins Best Actor I think Wiseau's story may be the most poetic thing I've ever encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,378 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That was absolutely sublime, one of the best films I’ve seen this year and definitely the funniest, was literally in tears during Tommy’s first scene. Post credit scene was a nice touch but the lights were on in the theatre and the staff already in cleaning which massively took away from it.

Haven’t been twice to the cinema for the same movie since 2009 but I’ll definitely be catching this again before it closes. It’s compulsary viewing for any fan of The Room but honestly everybody should be trying to check this out, there’s definitely an Oscar nomination or two at the very least in it.

I loved it. Recently heard that Franco (James, not Dave) was tipped for Oscars and, while it might have been a joke, I really think he should be. Watching it I totally forgot I was watching Franco and entirely bought into him as Wiseau. He was Wiseau. The mannerisms, the way he spoke. At the end when they showed the side-by-side comparison (not a spoiler, I don't think), I was amazed at how much detail Franco put in; there's one scene, where they're wasted, and Wiseau touches his ribs/side. Franco gets it in the exact same spot. That's an incredible eye for detail.

As much as I loved it, I'd be curious to know what someone who hasn't seen the Room would think of it. A lot of the humour might be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

faceman wrote: »

It’s a masterpiece.

The Room is one of the greatest films of all time, up there with your Kubricks, your Coens, your Lynches etc. Maybe the funniest film ever made, or at the very least right up there.

And I'm not saying that in a so bad it's good "ironic" kind of way. I'm saying it because all every time I watch it, I'm on the floor laughing every five seconds. That clearly wasn't the original intention, but at least we have it lol.

Lightning in a bottle, but masterpiece all the same.

Can't wait to see this this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

One of the best of the Year, didn't think it live up to the hype and the awards been given so far to James Franco for Best Actor. But surpassed even that, unlike most comedies it had heart to it and clearly Franco isn't looking down on Tommy Wiseau but clearly admires the guy for having the guts to live his dream. And Franco delivers one of the best performances I've seen in quite a while, his Wiseau, is loveable and at times dislikeable but at the end it's all about friendship.

Dave Franco is great too, although looking nothing like Greg Sestero, playing the straight man isn't always easy. Even Jacki Weaver has a nice little performance in there.

But this is James Franco's film all the way, that's the thing about him. He's fantastic screen actor and he always has a great performance in him i.e Spring Breakers, Pineapple Express, 127 Hours, This Is The End. But he's got some rubbish on his C.V. easy pay days and artier fare that is to up it's own backside. But this is his crowning glory, honestly I be surprised if he wins Best Actor Oscar (probably too comedic for Academy's tastes) but for this performance he deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I loved it. Recently heard that Franco (James, not Dave) was tipped for Oscars and, while it might have been a joke, I really think he should be. Watching it I totally forgot I was watching Franco and entirely bought into him as Wiseau. He was Wiseau. The mannerisms, the way he spoke. At the end when they showed the side-by-side comparison (not a spoiler, I don't think), I was amazed at how much detail Franco put in; there's one scene, where they're wasted, and Wiseau touches his ribs/side. Franco gets it in the exact same spot. That's an incredible eye for detail.

As much as I loved it, I'd be curious to know what someone who hasn't seen the Room would think of it. A lot of the humour might be lost.

No joke, his performance is that great and probably the best I've seen in quite a while, my worry would be the Academy going for something more serious. When's the last time they gave a comedic performance Best Actor.

The performance is Day Lewis/Oldman/De Niro like, I think cause Franco does a lot more comedy and out there material many forget the guy is a fantastic actor, watching a few clips from this year's Oscar Roundtables that Hollywood Reporter do, even Gary Oldman didn't think that was Franco in Spring Breakers. The guy when he's given the right material is one of the best out there. He's a bit eccentric but the guy's a talent.

The side by Side during the end credits, show how he got Wiseau down pat. Love during his interviews for the Disaster Artist, he even talks in Wiseau accent to Wiseau himself lol.

Is there anyone that hasn't seen the Room or had prior knowledge of it? I'd be so curious to hear your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Glad to hear Disaster Artist is living up to the hype - heading in to see it myself tomorrow.

Been re-watching Freaks and Geeks again recently and it's always mad seeing how far the cast of that series have come over the years. Was lucky enough to meet Seth Rogen and James Franco when they were doing the Dublin leg of their press junket for Pineapple Express - such down to earth guys, and while I don't give two sh*tes about the Oscars, it's still great to hear that Franco is being recognised for his role in The Disaster Artist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Is there anyone that hasn't seen the Room or had prior knowledge of it? I'd be so curious to hear your opinion.

Curious about this too. My gf has not seen The Room and I wonder if she'd get away with seeing this without the reference points. i.e. can it be enjoyed as a movie in and of itself. I've no doubt it can, but the enjoyment may be lessened.

Advertisement