Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,570 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP.

Must have been great to play Berta:

You spent all that money on an ex-wife and an ex-wife's house and you're not allowed inside either one of them.

Her lines were great and her delivery spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ah no. She was the best part of Two and A Half Men. I will remember her fondly. RIP Berta. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

One of the worst shows in living memory, I hope she had a full life but if I was remembered for that **** I'd do myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

2ndcoming wrote: »
    One of the worst shows in living memory, I hope she had a full life but if I was remembered for that **** I'd do myself.

Two and a half men was a great show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

2ndcoming wrote: »
    You'll be remembered for nothing, what a disgusting comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'm not even a fan of 2 and a half men (I would change the channel when it came on).
    But there's a time and a place to critique the show.

Most of us were just celebrating Conchata Ferrell's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,425 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anthony Chisholm has died aged 77

Probably best know for playing Burr Redding on Oz
    Best known for his recurring work on Oz‘s last three seasons, Chisholm starred in a total of 23 episodes from 2001-2003. His other TV credits include Law & Order: SVU, High Maintenance, Random Acts of Flyness, Hack and last year’s Hulu drama Wu-Tang: An American Saga.

Chisholm was a prolific stage veteran who frequently collaborated with playwright August Wilson. He starred as Wolf in the original run of Wilson’s Two Trains Running, which debuted at the Yale Repertory in 1990 and on Broadway in 1992. He also performed in Wilson’s Jitney and the first runs of Gem of the Ocean and Radio Golf, the latter of which earned Chisholm a Tony Award nomination for Best Featured Actor in a Play in 2007.

In 2017, he returned to Broadway for the revival of Jitney, which ultimately won the Tony for Best Revival of a Play. He continued performing in the production’s national tour which spanned from September 2019 through February 2020.

Other notable credits include the cult classic Putney Swope, Jonathan Demme’s Beloved and Spike Lee’s Chi-Raq.

https://tvline.com/2020/10/17/anthony-chisholm-oz-dead-dies-obituary/

Tony Lewis, from the band The Outfield, has died aged 62.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/tony-lewis-dead-the-outfield-lead-singer-your-love-1234600964/

Used to love driving around in GTA: Vice city, listening to this track.

RIP

RIP the Amazing Randi, aka James Randi, who has sadly died, aged 92.

_115027579_gettyimages-505581002.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54642107
    Magicians are the most honest people in the world. They tell you they're going to fool you, and then they do it.-James Randi

He was an incredibly talented magician and illusionist, but probably became best known for debunking pseudo scientists and conmen who claimed to be mindreaders, or telepathic, or speaking to the dead, or any other number of supernatural claims, many of whom exploited vulnerable and desperate individuals. His other exploits included escaping from a straightjacket, and creating the 'Guillotine' illusion for Alice Cooper, a stage trick where Cooper appeared to be beheaded by guillotine, in front of a live audience. It was often the closing trick to his live shows.

But he was also a frequent guest on Tv and in film. Appeared in Happy Days, Sesame Street, choreographed the illusions in the movie Ragtime, and multiple guest appearances on Johnny Carson (on one appearance, infamously, in which he exposed Uri Gellar as a fraud. Gellar was a frequent target of Randi's-for good reason). Other appearances included Penn and teller: Bullsh!t, and he was the focus of the documentary 'An Honest Liar', which chronicled his life, his decision to come out as gay at the age of 81, and his relationship with his partner, later husband, Jose Alvarez.

Penn Jillette tweeted this out.

https://twitter.com/pennjillette/status/1319015298184278016?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

RIP. We need more like now than ever.

Good documentary on him. An Honest Liar.

http://www.documentarymania.com/player.php?title=An%20Honest%20Liar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to hear of James Randi's passing. When I first discovered him I spent several hours on Youtube watching clips of him exposing several grifters and scammers. He did it in a very calm, polite way as well. My favourite one was the chap who claimed he could move pages with his mind. If I recall correctly he was actually blowing the pages and Randi used an experiment where he placed some material around the book that would move if any breath were to be used. Surprise, surprise, the superpower failed to work on the night.

Sad to hear of James Randi's passing. When I first discovered him I spent several hours on Youtube watching clips of him exposing several grifters and scammers. He did it in a very calm, polite way as well. My favourite one was the chap who claimed he could move pages with his mind. If I recall correctly he was actually blowing the pages and Randi used an experiment where he placed some material around the book that would move if any breath were to be used. Surprise, surprise, the superpower failed to work on the night.

Ah yes, James Hydrick.

Not so fun fact-when had appeared on that show, he had already been convicted of kidnapping and torture from 3 years before.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/crime/article39444981.html

Randi did everyone a service, too-Hydrick was a child molester, was sentenced to 17 years in jail for molesting 6 boys, back in 1989 (8 or 9 years after his appearance on the show). If he had become famous with his 'trick'... he could have gone on to molest many, many other small boys.

He's still in a mental hospital, to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

My favourite Randi investigation was Peter Popoff. Evangelical grifter, criminal, thief. Its covered in the documentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Popoff#Investigation_by_James_Randi

Whats astonishing is that Popoffs "career" recovered and hes as rich now as he ever was. A genuinely evil person.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this is one of my favourite Randi pieces because it is just so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Frank Bough has died, he was 87. Frank was the presenter of Grandstand and many other BBC Sport shows in the 60s, 70s and 80s. He was also one of the launch presenters of Breakfast Time on BBC1. Very capable presenter on live TV, his career went downhill after a number of tabloid scandals

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54684374

• Registered Users Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Skid X wrote: »
    Frank Bough has died, he was 87. Frank was the presenter of Grandstand and many other BBC Sport shows in the 60s, 70s and 80s. He was also one of the launch presenters of Breakfast Time on BBC1. Very capable presenter on live TV, his career went downhill after a number of tabloid scandals

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54684374

He was a big part of my early years, Grandstand, and the show after the news - was it Nationwide?

The scandals were one of the first that I remember too, shocking for the avuncular family man image.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

He was a big part of my early years, Grandstand, and the show after the news - was it Nationwide?

The scandals were one of the first that I remember too, shocking for the avuncular family man image.

Yeah, that's right he was on Nationwide too

He continued to work on different channels after the scandals on lower profile shows, he was always a professional at work but his reputation never really recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭corks finest

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I remembered Ned, Dave and Roy's dad

RIP

Just watched him a in an old emmerdale classic last week

• Advertisement

Pamela Kosh passed away at the age of 90 on October 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 10,951 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bobby Ball has died after a covid 19 diagnosis. Staple of 80s ITV as part of Cannon and Ball and had a renaissance in recent years too. RIP

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bobby Ball has died after a covid 19 diagnosis. Staple of 80s ITV and had a renaissance in recent years too. RIP

He still seemed spry whenever he popped up in Not Going Out as Lee's dad.
    RIP Bobby :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Best thing he ever did (being Lee Mack's dad)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sean Connery - Age 90, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Glebee wrote: »

Just heard,sad day

Just heard,sad day

2020 continues to break hearts, spirits, and bodies...

Sincerely sad to hear this.:(:(:(

First and best Bond! R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Thats a good age! R.I.P I'll have to watch some bond tonight! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Tork

At 90, it's no shock but it's sad all the same. He retired relatively young as actors go - I see the last film he made was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen back in 2003.

Advertisement