Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That horrible disease has claimed another life...

RIP.

I remember this clip, a wonderful way to pay tribute with the kindest of gestures. A very nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭cml387

If I may beg your indulgence, another Geoffrey Palmer classic from The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin.

Reggie has discovered that his brother in law Jimmy (Palmer) has organises a secret army to rise up against the moral degradation he sees in British society. What follows is one of the classic monologues of TV history:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry to hear about Alex Trebek. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭crushproof

Truly shocked by Alex Trebeks passing, I knew it was coming but man what a guy, a true giant of US television.

I got hooked on jeopardy years ago while in the States years ago and still watch daily back on this side of the pond. Its the perfect dinnertime quiz show and he was there the whole time. Imagine hosting over 8,200 episodes of a show, simply mind boggling!

Absolutely no idea who could fill his boots but I'm happy he managed to continue what he loved to do for as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

cml387 wrote: »
    If I may beg your indulgence, another Geoffrey Palmer classic from The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin.

Reggie has discovered that his brother in law Jimmy (Palmer) has organises a secret army to rise up against the moral degradation he sees in British society. What follows is one of the classic monologues of TV history:

Wow, In some way that speech feels very relevant to our time. Where's my Enfield??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Papist rapists"

• Registered Users Posts: 85,474 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bert Belasco, tv actor has died, he was 38, Belasco died Sunday of an apparent aneurysm while at a Virginia hotel for a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Fergus O'Kelly aka Fr Barty Dunne (the laughing priest) from Father Ted has passed away, one of my favourite characters on the show:

M_JGXBXc_400x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

Fergus O'Kelly aka Fr Barty Dunne (the laughing priest) from Father Ted has passed away, one of my favourite characters on the show:

M_JGXBXc_400x400.jpg

Ah no :(

He's gone to the auld heh heh in the sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Sad all those that appeared on Fr.Ted who have now passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

E mac wrote: »

It doesn't feel like it finished 22 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

E mac wrote: »

To be fair, not everybody who appeared in Fr. Ted has passed on!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

To be fair, not everybody who appeared in Fr. Ted has passed on!

Ya you got me there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

sentient_6 wrote: »
    It doesn't feel like it finished 22 years ago.

It didn’t. It finished 24 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Dtp1979 wrote:

1998 wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Final episode aired May 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Final episode aired May 1998.

Correct. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Des O'Connor, light entertainment star of UK TV in the 70s and 80s, right in to the 90s has passed away.

Also a former Northampton Town reserve footballer.

He was 88
    RIP

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Des O'Connor, light entertainment star of UK TV in the 70s and 80s, right in to the 90s has passed away.

He was 88
    RIP

Him and Freddy Starr where gas together.Des used to be on the floor laughing.
    RIP Des.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

dubstarr wrote: »
    Him and Freddy Starr where gas together.Des used to be on the floor laughing.
    RIP Des.

I know Morecambe and Wise earlier than that used to use him as the butt of their jokes and he loved it I think.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

He was 88
    RIP

I remember when we started of on your journey, we had a labour government, you could eat meat and Des O'Connor was white.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Des O'Conner was Mr Light Entertainment on ITV he also had a big No 1 hit single "I believe" and even charted in the Top 10 as recently as 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I know Morecambe and Wise earlier than that used to use him as the butt of their jokes and he loved it I think.

Yes they used to give poor Des an awful life. But he took it in good stead.

https://youtu.be/Nqn2lnx9SbI

Des O'Connor had his entertainment-based chat show - Des O'Connor Tonight - right up until the early 2000s. Between 2007 and 2008, Des O'Connor was the presenter of Countdown. I think that might have been when I last saw him on television.

He was actually a guest on The Morecanbe and Wise Show on more than one occasion, despite being the butt of so many jokes!

Edit: Actually, I think I remember seeing Des being interviewed by Philip and Holly on ITV about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Take Your Pick show where he tried to trip contestants up on the Yes/No game was a particular favourite of mine.

Love this joke by Stan Boardman on live TV pre-watershed which I believe landed Des in some hot water with the Ofcom types.

https://twitter.com/SandyC8572/status/1327906373091397632

The Take Your Pick show where he tried to trip contestants up on the Yes/No game was a particular favourite of mine.

Love this joke by Stan Boardman on live TV pre-watershed which I believe landed Des in some hot water with the Ofcom types.

https://twitter.com/SandyC8572/status/1327906373091397632

I remember seeing that. It was live and Des just wanted the ground to swallow him up! Oliver Reed did something similar - it was silly expecting Oliver Reed to behave himself on live tv! He revealed where he had a particular tattoo - Des said to him that he had not been told that earlier! I don't know if it happened on the same show - it could have!

On a subsequent show, still live (think it was the following week), Jim Davidson was a guest and told a story about being on a plane connected to the army and how he nearly, eh, creased himself. Jim pretended he was about to say something more descriptive just to wind Des up, after the previous controversial show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

He revealed where he had a particular tattoo - Des said to him that he had not been told that earlier! I don't know if it happened on the same show - it could have!

On his cock.

At least he didn't get it out.

He was 88
    RIP

He had a show with Melanie Sykes a few years back, he had an infectious laugh

RIP Des

• Advertisement

Ben Watkins has died aged 14 from cancer, he was on Master Chef Junior

Advertisement