Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

His final episode of The Bill was a classic, especially the last scene.

He came back for two episodes in 2000 (I had to Google the year). I think those episodes proved he was a decent actor, whoever wrote it gave him a lot more to work with than some of his earlier stuff.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

His departure from the Bill in 1993 along with Burnside marked the end of the shows Golden Era. The replacements were a bit of a disaster. Took a while to rebuild a decent cast again.

He was outstanding in the show. One of the greatest characters.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

PRC_152922863.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C338&ssl=1

Anthony James, who had a prolific career in film and television, has died aged 77.

He mainly excelled in playing villains, starring in shows such as Charlie's Angels. V, The Mod Squad, Starsky and Hutch, to name few.
    His movie roles were in films like In the Heat of the Night (1967), High Plains Drifter, Vanishing Point, Naked Gun 2: The Smell of Fear, and his final acting role was as Skinny Dubois, the owner of the bar and brothel in Unforgiven (that's him in the bowler hat, playing Skinny Dubois).

He quit acting after Unforgiven in 1992, dedicating his time to writing writing and painting.

Wasn't afraid to send himself up, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I remember from loads of 70's and 80's shows especially his character in Buck Rogers

e49229c359f75bb5ef8a8cf0a84bb378.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

deise08 wrote: »
    Of course, no one man or woman is everyone's cup of tea entertainment wise.
    RIP Brendan Bowyer & commiserations to his fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Naked Gun 2: The Smell of Fear,

One of the best scenes of all the movies/Police Squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

The Nal wrote: »
    One of the best scenes of all the movies/Police Squad.

Looks like the cows have come home to roost.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Water John wrote: »

He had an odd accent. Sounded almost Welsh, but there was definitely a hint of Cork there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Was only talking about Ted Roach and that episode the other day! Very sad to read that he's passed.

Anthony James made numerous appearances in the A Team as well, sad to see he's passed too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anthony James was very much in the "that guy in" category of supporting cast actors but it was a very decent career.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,479 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Michael Angelis died aged 76. RIP.

He was the narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine, He also was in The Liver Birds, Boys from the Blackstuff and Auf Wiedersehen Pet among other TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Michael Angelis died aged 76. RIP.

He was the narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine, He also was in The Liver Birds, Boys from the Blackstuff and Auf Wiedersehen Pet among other TV shows.

Sorry to hear that

I'm not sure if he does the voiceover in this classic advert. It sounds like him, and he is mentioned in the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

He was brilliant in Boys From the Blackstuff, that was a powerful series, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Thomas The Tank Engine was a big part of my childhood. Michael Angelis was a big part of it. He was a really useful narrator. R.I.P. big fella :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thomas The Tank Engine was a big part of my childhood. Michael Angelis was a big part of it. He was a really useful narrator. R.I.P. big fella :(
    Income from narration of Thomas revitalised Ringo's finances when the series hit the big time in the States. Hope Micheal did as well out of it.

Loved Boys from the Blackstuff. Classic BBC drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jaysus. Something is very strange in the world if you can make more money from narrating a kids TV show than you can from being a BEATLE.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,154 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If you do the sums I think it technically makes Thomas the Tank Engine bigger than Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mary Pat Gleason died of cancer on June 2nd - RIP

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322325/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jaysus. Something is very strange in the world if you can make more money from narrating a kids TV show than you can from being a BEATLE.

Remember Ringo had very few writing credits and it was all about the royalities in those days, with the B side earning the same as the A side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Mary Pat Gleason died of cancer on June 2nd - RIP

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322325/

Wouldn't have known her name, but she was one of those actresses who appeared everywhere. RIP

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wouldn't have known her name, but she was one of those actresses who appeared everywhere. RIP

Yes the face was recognisable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

just googled her. she seemed to be in an episode of everything . didnt really star as a main role in anything really.

she look's really familier but couldnt tell you why

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

She played ED-209 in Robocop

ed209-18.jpg?resize=1200%2C670&strip=all&ssl=1

Thats her

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I read this book last year on their business and commercial affairs;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Never_Give_Me_Your_Money_(book)

They blew vast amounts of money setting up Apple and paying nice people to fart around and smoke dope for five years or so. They spent a decade or two suing each other, managers and other associates, putting lawyers' families though college on their dime.

None of the four came out of it well, just not very nice people it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Sir Ian Holm has sadly passed away.

Probably best known to modern audiences as Bilbo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings films (For me he was the definitive Bilbo.) He had a long career, starring in The Borrowers tv series, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, MAry Shelley's Frankenstein, Ratatouille, Alien and even the video game Alien Isolation.

Sadly had Parkinson's, but living to 88 is good innings, as they say.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0619/1148460-lord-of-the-rings-actor-ian-holm-dies-at-88/

RIP Joel Schumacher, who has died aged 80 after a battle with cancer.

http://www.irishnews.com/magazine/entertainment/2020/06/22/news/st-elmo-s-fire-director-joel-schumacher-dies-aged-80-1982416/

He directed films like The Lost Boys (lotta fun that film), Batman and Robin, Falling Down (a personal fave of mine), The Client and A time to Kill.

He wrote Car Wash, The Wiz, St Elmo's Fire and directed TV shows like 2000 Malibu Road, and one of his last gigs was directing two episodes of House of Cards in 2013. He also directed music videos, for INXS, and Seal, to name a few.

I know many people enjoyed his work, but for me, one of the most notable things he did (with zero fanfare, but for Susan Sarandon revealing it) was how he looked after Brad Renfro after directing him in The Client.
    He knew Renfro needed help, because his parents (two addicts) weren't there for him.

He got Renfro into a good school, tried to keep him on the straight and narrow... sadly, Renfro was the victim of An Open Secret (I suspect) and went off the rails after working with Bryan Singer in Apt Pupil. Renfro died of a heroin overdose, in 2008. He was just 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Sad to hear Margharita Pracatan passed away aged 89

She was Clive James' regular musical guest on his shows, always giving it socks and never in the slightest bit bothered about being in tune or knowing the lyrics or any of that technical nonsense.

https://news.sky.com/story/margarita-pracatan-singer-known-for-appearances-on-the-clive-james-show-dies-aged-89-12013918

Advertisement