Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies and Gentlemen.......

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Why do you all care?

I don't. As long as people don't object to those who continue to use "Ladies and Gentlemen" as an opening announcement.

Do you care about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

It's pandering. It annoys me. You've to be so careful these days about everything you say and how you address anyone because they might identify as any number of things that honestly, I'm just going to start referring to everyone with 'hey, you'. You have to be so careful it puts regular people like me (a little ignorant of these things, but willing to try) off trying at all because there's too much to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

_Roz_ wrote: »
    It's pandering. It annoys me. You've to be so careful these days about everything you say and how you address anyone because they might identify as any number of things that honestly, I'm just going to start referring to everyone with 'hey, you'. You have to be so careful it puts regular people like me (a little ignorant of these things, but willing to try) off trying at all because there's too much to remember.
    You can say what you like, this company is pandering to the majority but that doesn't really have any baring on you. People are acting like where companies lead we must follow.

Companies will try to be the most bland that they can be to cater to the widest possible audience. But there company policies aren't laws and won't become laws, everyone can carry on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can say what you like, this company is pandering to the majority but that doesn't really have any baring on you. People are acting like where companies lead we must follow.

Companies will try to be the most bland that they can be to cater to the widest possible audience. But there company policies aren't laws and won't become laws, everyone can carry on as normal.

Fair point. I guess what irritates me is that it can be used to exemplify 'progress' by people shouting for equality and all that. 'Oh this company gets it, look they're including us, why can't you in your day to day speech?' Because there's too much and I don't care enough anymore.

Everyone is just 'you' now. 'hey, you, with the hat. Yeah you. Inanimate objects are still safe to label with names, right?'

_Roz_ wrote: »

Here's a question with a lot of answers: What is the name of the second city of Northern Ireland. located at the mouth of the River Foyle and whose centre is still surrounded by its traditional walls, dating back to the early 17th century and which are still entirely intact?

Depends on whom you ask.

It's official name is Londonderry
    Most people who live there call it Derry
    People who work in media and broadcasting tend now to refer to it as Derry/Londonderry.
    If you are an employee of Dupont, the multinational chemical firm which is such a large local employer you have to refer to your location as Maydown, Northern Ireland (the name of the industrial park in which your factory is located)
    If you are en employee of Seagate, a multinational electronic components manufacturer, you have to refer to your location as Springtown, Northern Ireland for the same reason.
    Bottom line: no matter what you call it you are bound to run the risk of "offending" someone but actually what offends them most is the idea that they might be offended by you not being a complete and utter prig so just call it whatever you normall call it (Derry or Londonderry is enough choice for most people) and trust to your otherwise charming nature to see you through.

And that, Ladies & Gentlemen, completes the lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

bear1 wrote: »
    This equality **** is going completely over the top.
    We've got groups of letters to denote certain types of people which incorporates everyone on the planet and now you can't say ladies and gentlemen as it needs to reflect everyone?
    My biology classes might be failing me but regardless of what you are, you are still either a man or a woman...
    Idiotic.

Ooooh no, your quite wrong their, we now have non-gender gob-shs too that might take offence that their idocy is being discriminated against.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm genuinely baffled that people are so pissed off, they're simply going to start saying 'Hello everyone' from now on.

Was just thinking about this recently. I lived in and around London for 10 years, so I was a frequent traveller--sorry, customer--on tubes and trains.

I actually cannot for the life of me ever remember them EVER saying Ladies and Gentlemen. In fact, so far as London Underground is concerned, the only public service announcement I ever heard was "Mind the Gap!"

The overground stations frequently made announcements because trains for different destinations would depart from the same platform. Again, there was NEVER a prefix of "Ladies and Gentlemen..." or indeed any sort of prefix at all. They would just run straight into "The train now arriving at platform 2 is the 08:37 service for Chipping Sodbury, calling at Elmer's End, Pratt's Bottom, Snodland and Chalfont St Giles" *

By putting out this stupid announcement, they have not actually changed anything. They are just striking a pose. Throwing a shape. And it's about as edifying as watching your dad dancing at a wedding.

Meanwhile people will now be sitting in stations thinking "This is political correctness gone mad. They won't even say Ladies and Gentlemen now!"

They never did.

* all real place names believe it or not, although not on the same train line. Poetic licence :D

Advertisement