Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies and Gentlemen.......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I think what annoys people the most with all of the PCness is the act of being told what they can no longer say or do.

Who are these other people who make these decisions and why do they hold power over the rest?

What happens if you do not follow the PC way? Not a lot I imagine.

Why is it such an attrocity that people become offended?

Do you realise the absurdity of you expressing offence about people expressing offence?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I am delighted that this is happening. I love it when people lose their shit over trivial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RayM wrote: »
    I am delighted that this is happening. I love it when people lose their shit over trivial stuff.

its great alright and when it happens enough people do things like elect Trump to make it stop :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Peoplechester
    Theirstory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Peoplechester
    Theirstory

Scockhorpe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

We want everyone to feel welcome on our transport network.

Talk about pandering to a minority of gob****es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

Can you imagine attending the meeting this was decided at? It's absolutely ridiculous.

So, Chairm... person, eh, latest figures aren't good.
    Hum. Marketing, what have you got?
    Well, within the budget we have 'One free child with every six adults!'
    Gah, anything else?
    Yes, we were also thinking 'Gender Bull****'.
    Gender Bull****?
    Oh yes, it's the latest thing, pick something traditional no one has even thought about before and gender it up: unisex bathrooms, women only carriages and the like. The kids love that stuff. Viral feeds, morose twenty somethings making reaction videos, we could even get our own hashtag trending!
    I like it, lets go with Gender Bull****. Great work people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

jamesbere wrote: »
    We should just ban talking altogether, just communicate in the form of interpretive dance

That's incredibly Ableist of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Sonics2k wrote: »

There are many forms of dance that everyone can perform

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Stupid is the new normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,700 ✭✭✭ablelocks

how dare you bring my name into it...I'm offended

I used to roll my eyes when anyone uttered "it's PC gone mad, innit?". But in the last year or two, it seems PC really has gone mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Oh my god. Letters....... the horror of it...... it's a disgrace Joe letters Joe. Its outrageous they want letters. How dare they have letters Joe.

Wait until they use all 26, what will happen then? And the worse thing is that at that point they won't have reached peak stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Yeah this kind of pandering is getting out of hand now. There's a difference between genuine equality and just going off the deep end and this is the kind of stupid carryon that pisses NORMAL people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Infini wrote: »
    Yeah this kind of pandering is getting out of hand now. There's a difference between genuine equality and just going off the deep end and this is the kind of stupid carryon that pisses NORMAL people off.

Are you allowed call people, people anymore. It might offend them as they associate themselves as beings or some other crazy term

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I like Ladles and Jellyspoons myself.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm genuinely baffled that people are so pissed off, they're simply going to start saying 'Hello everyone' from now on.

It's not as if they've gone full Tumblr and have started saying Xe/Xer and that stuff to people getting on.

Why do you all care?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm genuinely baffled that people are so pissed off, they're simply going to start saying 'Hello everyone' from now on.

It's not as if they've gone full Tumblr and have started saying Xe/Xer and that stuff to people getting on.

Why do you all care?

As I said the absurdity of people being outraged about people being outraged.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Why do you all care?

I don't care, really, about how London Underground wants to address its passengers. It could start announcements with "Yo Dudes!" for all it matters. What exasperates me is the statement it put out saying "We have reviewed the language that we use in announcements and elsewhere and will make sure that it is fully inclusive, reflecting the great diversity of London."

The implication being that the time honoured "Ladies and Gentlemen" is not "fully inclusive" and therefore possibly discriminatory at worst and ill mannered at best.

Here's the thing: if anybody ever seriously objects (and it may never happen) to me addressing a mixed crowd of whatever size as "Ladies and Gentlemen" on the grounds that I am not being inclusive enough, I'm going to give her a good kick in the bollix.

Fair enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"Ladies, Gentlemen and Miscellaneous....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Silver Lynel

I don't care, really, about how London Underground wants to address its passengers. It could start announcements with "Yo Dudes!" for all it matters. What exasperates me is the statement it put out saying "We have reviewed the language that we use in announcements and elsewhere and will make sure that it is fully inclusive, reflecting the great diversity of London."

The implication being that the time honoured "Ladies and Gentlemen" is not "fully inclusive" and therefore possibly discriminatory at worst and ill mannered at best.

Here's the thing: if anybody ever seriously objects (and it may never happen) to me addressing a mixed crowd of whatever size as "Ladies and Gentlemen" on the grounds that I am not being inclusive enough, I'm going to give her a good kick in the bollix.

Fair enough?

Well, at least the people who are in agreement with this move will now stop using terms like "mansplaining" and "manspreading".

So that's a positive.

Or is it not OK to use "Ladies and Gentlemen" in tannoy announcements but still totally OK to whine about "manspreading" on public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

valoren wrote: »
    "Ladies, Gentlemen and Miscellaneous....."

Miss what? How dare you, it's Mrs...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Logically, if you stop using 'Ladies and Gentlemen' then you should use 'Peasants'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

bear1 wrote: »
    This equality **** is going completely over the top.
    I don't think this is strictly an equality move. We're talking about a company that wants to make money here, if someone tells them they'll increase profits by 0.002 of a percent by being more gender neutral they'll do it to make more money. Companies are always making little adjustments like these, from the colour of the for sale sign, to the font used, to the words used. They might avoid mentioning any gender when selling so that people don't assume a product is for a man or a woman and avoid it based on that assumption. There's also a bit of an advertising trend to jump on activism (AKA that horrible Pepsi ad) and "everybody" is closer to that terminology whereas "ladies and gentlemen" sounds like something from the 1800s.

Humans are animals prone to animal behaviour and moods. Little things like these do make a statistical difference and companies follow statistics over dealing with individual events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Allinall

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think this is strictly an equality move. We're talking about a company that wants to make money here, if someone tells them they'll increase profits by 0.002 of a percent by being more gender neutral they'll do it to make more money. Companies are always making little adjustments like these, from the colour of the for sale sign, to the font used, to the words used. They might avoid mentioning any gender when selling so that people don't assume a product is for a man or a woman and avoid it based on that assumption. There's also a bit of an advertising trend to jump on activism (AKA that horrible Pepsi ad) and "everybody" is closer to that terminology whereas "ladies and gentlemen" sounds like something from the 1800s.

Humans are animals prone to animal behaviour and moods. Little things like these do make a statistical difference and companies follow statistics over dealing with individual events.

They would increase their profits more if they got rid of people who think up this sort of bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Allinall wrote: »
    They would increase their profits more if they got rid of people who think up this sort of bull****.
    They wouldn't hire the people who make this stuff up if it didn't work. That's the bottom line for a company, this stuff works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Everyone implies that it is only people who ride on the Tube - I treat my slave as an object and am proud to parade it around on the Tube. I want it acknowledged in the announcement too!

Why do you all care?

Maybe it's just an interesting thing to talk about?

I don't get why people talking about a thing is such a big deal that you have to come storming in with "why do you all care about this"?

If you think about it, announcements have probably started with "ladies and gentlemen" since the underground was opened in 1863.

The actual phrase "ladies and gentlemen" can be traced back to the early 1600s at least.

So it's kind of an interesting deal if they are doing away with the phrase.

Not to say that we should cling to the past forever but you have to admit that it's at least a worthy talking point.

Why do you care that people care?

• Advertisement

As I said the absurdity of people being outraged about people being outraged.

How is that absurd?

There are plenty of scenarios where it's perfectly understandable to be outraged at someone else's outrage.

I don't see anything I would really class as outrage here anyway so it's basically an irrelevant point you've made.

Is this a tactic? You get to declare that people are outraged, when they may not be, so you can deem their reaction absurd and then the conversation ends and/or you get a sense of satisfaction from being above it all?

The reasoning behind scrapping "ladies and gentlemen" is silly.

Will it affect anyone's life in any profound way? Probably not.

Is it a topic worthy of discussion? Sure, I don't see why not.

How much of your time do you devote to telling people what they should and should not care or talk about?

Advertisement