Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies and Gentlemen.......

Options
  • 13-07-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

This is the accepted form of addressing a crowd of people in English. It's counterparts in German, French and Spanish are respectively "Meine Damen und Herren", Mesdames et Messieurs" and "Senoras y Senores" all pretty direct translations.

In Irish, fair enough, the equivalent is "A dhaoine uaisle" (not a direct translation and no reference to different sexes.)

So....

Please somebody tell me that this announcement is a joke!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Maybe they should ban the tube. A big long object going in and out of tunnels. Sounds very falic to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Fcuk sake.

They will be renaming Manchester to Nonspecificchester next.

Gobshytery at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe "tube peasants" is better..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

We should just ban talking altogether, just communicate in the form of interpretive dance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I thought it was something from Waterford Whispers News at first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Fcuk sake.

Nonspecific United!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Fcuk sake.

Cant use the word 'City' anymore as Manchester now identifies as a Town.

Bit like the reverse of Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This equality **** is going completely over the top.
    We've got groups of letters to denote certain types of people which incorporates everyone on the planet and now you can't say ladies and gentlemen as it needs to reflect everyone?
    My biology classes might be failing me but regardless of what you are, you are still either a man or a woman...
    Idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    We've got groups of letters to denote certain types of people which incorporates everyone on the planet and now you can't say ladies and gentlemen as it needs to reflect everyone?
    My biology classes might be failing me but regardless of what you are, you are still either a man or a woman...
    Idiotic.

Or a dolphin. How dare you take away my Dolphinhood from me!!!

Dont assume my species.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Wouldn't be a bad thing to be fair.

Some psycho posts get thrown around those two areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

So long as this leads to Unisex toilets I have no problem with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

I don't see the problem. Could be due to the fact that I don't really care enough to get outraged about it one way it another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sweet baby Jesus, when will it end.

embarrased.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Maybe the announcement could be "Ladies, Gentlemen, dudes in dresses, women dressed like men, and others".

I am a gentleman, and I demand to be referred to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Does it really matter? If there had been no news article about it would anyone have noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

circadian wrote: »
    I don't see the problem. Could be due to the fact that I don't really care enough to get outraged about it one way it another.

I'm not outraged; more like exasperated.

The only thing I fear is that initiatives such as this will cause certain people, with incredibly thin skins, indeed to become outraged if somebody uses the traditional form of address and will therefore accuse them of all sorts of heinous crimes such as being "gender normative" or "non inclusive" or "anti-equality".

It's priggishness like this that caused monstrosities such as the Shrieking Yale Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"good morning everyone" is like a teacher addressing children in a classroom

circadian wrote: »

Ron-Burgundy-What-Did-You-Say-Anchorman.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

I don't.get it .

Aren't transgender people still a lady or a gent regardless of their birth sex?

Who are they trying not to offend , the rats and mice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

optogirl wrote: »
    Does it really matter? If there had been no news article about it would anyone have noticed?

Well, if it doesn't really matter, why do it in the first place?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I saw a thread about this on the Digitalspy forums. It's political correctness gone mad. Pandering to uber-left types who are offended on behalf of the minuscule number of people who want to be referred to as "non-binary."

Pathetic. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

deadybai wrote: »
    I don't.get it .

Aren't transgender people still a lady or a gent regardless of their birth sex?

Who are they trying not to offend , the rats and mice?

what if you are Wolfkin?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Can you imagine attending the meeting this was decided at? It's absolutely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The weird thing is soon Britain won't be able to blame this type of thing on the EU anymore and they'll have to realise that it was all their own doing all along…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dear Earthlings, now hear this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think what annoys people the most with all of the PCness is the act of being told what they can no longer say or do.

Who are these other people who make these decisions and why do they hold power over the rest?

What happens if you do not follow the PC way? Not a lot I imagine.

Why is it such an attrocity that people become offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Good morning everyone? Ridicolous, what happens if you hate the bloody morning ey? Don't remind me of it.

Things that tannoy you incoming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bear1 wrote: »
    Idiotic.

Oh my god. Letters....... the horror of it...... it's a disgrace Joe letters Joe. Its outrageous they want letters. How dare they have letters Joe.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement