Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE seeking fees from Sky and cable operators for its channels

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

More Music wrote:
    People probably don't subscribe to Sky just because of RTE. However, they are a major part of an overall package. If RTE were to leave Sky tomorrow you can be sure Sky would lose a lot of Irish subscribers.

Would be interesting to see RTE leave Sky. Doubt if Sky would lose a lot of subscribers. The crap on RTE is the reason a lot of people have Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Communicorp want to divert 25million of the licence fee to Journalism!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Sky are making a fortune in Ireland and pay nothing in tax. About time they are asked to put there hands in there pocket.

That changed a few years ago under EU regs, VAT is paid where the service is provided, hence the reason a separate Sky Ireland company was formed about that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see RTE leave Sky. Doubt if Sky would lose a lot of subscribers. The crap on RTE is the reason a lot of people have Sky.

Sky are loosing customers, by treating Irish customers like idiots. It drives me mental that RTE is behind a paywall on the sat system, thankfully in this modern age I can use a computer.

Your one Dee must think she is still over Discovery or something if she thinks SKY/Virgin or any operator will pay for RTE. Sky where just about telling Discovery to f**k off, they will tell RTE to f**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TallGlass wrote: »
    Your one Dee must think she is still over Discovery or something if she thinks SKY/Virgin or any operator will pay for RTE. Sky where just about telling Discovery to f**k off, they will tell RTE to f**k off.

The issue of retransmission fees is also happening in the UK, the regulations were changed recently to allow the PSBs seek fees for their transmission on the pay platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In my opinion, RTE would be the bigger loser here if Sky were to pull them from the platform.

Sky would lose some customers, but not enough for it to be a problem. Many people have a disdain for RTE at the moment and already resent paying the license fee. Besides, with no RTE on the platform Sky could lure in more advertisers to the channels where they already play Irish ads.

JDxtra wrote: »
    In my opinion, RTE would be the bigger loser here if Sky were to pull them from the platform.

Sky would lose some customers, but not enough for it to be a problem. Many people have a disdain for RTE at the moment and already resent paying the license fee. Besides, with no RTE on the platform Sky could lure in more advertisers to the channels where they already play Irish ads.

I agree, I don't think RTÉ are doing themselves no favours. They have gone to **** and they don't seem to realize it, Dee Forbes really is only restructuring she seems to have displaced all content. Repeats and repeats on TV, along with over paid stars, RTÉ seem not to be aware of how their audience feel nor do they seem to care. This has been ongoing since 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE have been on the wrong end of this marriage of convenience from the start, they just didn't know it. Despite being the primary content provider for a sovereign state they were happy to jump into bed with a UK based company to be seen in Ireland! Had this not been the case maybe what is now saorview would have been a useful platform for a number of content providers with RTE as the core company. Instead they are a very small player on a big platform. Sky would lose some customers but more likely is that they'd have to tweak their basic package for the UK FTA channels as Freesat would suddenly get a massive boost if RTE left SKY. All those dishes with multi LNBs...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The people that work for Sky in Ireland, do they pay tax on their earnings?

What's that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If sky stop carrying RTE I for one will not renew my subscription. A few more might do the same but not enough to badly affect SKY.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

lertsnim wrote: »
    What's that got to do with anything?

It doesn’t, and let that line of conversation be dropped.

Look, we’re in the EU, and companies from what for now is still an EU member state have every right to come and do business here. When Sky got into the carriage business (first with Sky Multichannels in 1993) it had no terrestrial channels of any sort. When Sky Digital started in 1998 there were no terrestrial channels either. Must carry/must offer didn’t apply to it, being regulated in the UK (indeed there was no provision to apply it to satellite prior to the Broadcasting Act 2009).

I am not sure that Sky getting RTE made Pay DTT any less viable. I think t made Sky a more attractive proposition as regards Cable, sure. But I don’t think RTE staying off Sky would have saved pay DTT at all in the way certain posters think. It was always an unattractive proposition set against both digital cable and satellite, both of which can offer many multiples of the 30 channels or so that was being proposed for pay-DTT at the time it was being promoted.

As for RTE, they know what they are proposing means. Lose must offer and must carry also goes. Fair is fair. The risk is that the pay TV companies follow through and TV3 goes to the top of the EPG.

Finally, I don’t think anyone, bar some long time cable subscribers, choses pay TV because they only want RTE. Once upon a time it was for the BBC. Now it’s becauee they want premium sports and movies. RTE is a nice to have, not a subscription driver. Those who only want RTE can go to Saorview.

I agree PAY DTT to work would have had to have happened earlier and even then looking at European PAY DTT role outs none went to plan, that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

From the point of view of the Irish consumer, via sky or virgin, inevitably this cost will be passed on. As you would expect.

We are paying for RTE in the licence fee - why should we have to pay a second time because we are watching on Sky/Virgin rather than via saorview? If this cost is charged to sky / virgin customers watching though cable service why should it not be also charged to saorview customers - thus reducing the burden by increasing the numbers paying. If you go that far though - why are they not simply looking for a licence fee increase? Not that i think they should get one.

Fian wrote: »
    From the point of view of the Irish consumer, via sky or virgin, inevitably this cost will be passed on. As you would expect.

We are paying for RTE in the licence fee - why should we have to pay a second time because we are watching on Sky/Virgin rather than via saorview? If this cost is charged to sky / virgin customers watching though cable service why should it not be also charged to saorview customers - thus reducing the burden by increasing the numbers paying. If you go that far though - why are they not simply looking for a licence fee increase? Not that i think they should get one.

Your possibly picking up the cost in any case. IMO I think RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 should be available on a FTV basis on all pay providers.

For example if you fall behind in payments or cancel your subscription the provider may disable your Pay TV channels and services, but the channels available on Soarview may not be disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

RTE have failed to notice also. That if Sky refuse to pay RTE the fee for what is 80% pure rubbish programming. Then why should the tax paying public be burdened with a licence fee increase.

RTE need to understand they are no longer needed in such volume. Too many TV stations, too many Radio stations. Not even sure if they still own the transmission network think they sold it off. Anyway, they should close down radio stations and TV stations and focus on less platforms and more on the content.

Then either reduce the licence fee down or keep it and rearrange the pie to be shared with TG4 etc...

I don't want no RTE it's needed. But we don't need RTE1/2 just RTE. We don't need 2FM it's constantly under performing and in minus in terms of profit. Close it down.

People are underestimating just how many people watch RTÉ, RTÉ One in particular.

People are underestimating just how many people watch RTÉ, RTÉ One in particular.

You underestimating how many would miss it, RTÉ One's audience is falling, it's just waiting for DWTS.

RTÉ have no idea how they continue to walk from PR disaster to PR disaster, they hide in full view.

Yes. I agree. But I watch RTE. Would I miss it if it left tomorrow? No. Not at all. My viewing figures would be extremely low.

Now. If Netflix closed down tomorrow I would be very upset. And I happily pay for that. I was pretty pissed when the BBC moved BBC3 online and I don't even pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

It's fine to say watch RTÉ on Saorview if it went off Pay TV, but what the hell do we record/series link it on ? Right now we only have the Walker PVR and the forthcoming piece of junk called Saorview Connect, which from the spec of it, makes the Walker look like a Humax ! I for one, hope RTÉ stays on all pay tv platforms.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    You underestimating how many would miss it

So minimal backlash from viewers who lose RTÉ from their Sky EPG is it? No chance.

You underestimating how many would miss it

So minimal backlash from viewers who lose RTÉ from their Sky EPG is it? No chance.

I think in the current climate most wouldn't care. Blame could and would be put at the feet of RTÉ with RTÉ arguing that they had to collect because of the law, Sky refusing to pay arguing it would increase their prices.

Perhaps I am reading it wrong but I think people are not happy with RTÉ even particularly when those of us who agree with PSB can't defend what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

galtee boy wrote: »
    It's fine to say watch RTÉ on Saorview if it went off Pay TV, but what the hell do we record/series link it on ? Right now we only have the Walker PVR and the forthcoming piece of junk called Saorview Connect, which from the spec of it, makes the Walker look like a Humax ! I for one, hope RTÉ stays on all pay tv platforms.

Plenty of people use an external hard drive to series link and record from their Saorview TVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Ah come on nobody watches RTE anymore. Couldn't give a hoot if it stays or goes i don't pay the licence fee anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Ah come on nobody watches RTE anymore. Couldn't give a hoot if it stays or goes i don't pay the licence fee anyway .

About 500,000 watch the LLS every time it's on.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104873108&postcount=1085

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

I would note the last paragraph of this article,

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/10/04/sky-and-virgin-threaten-to-drop-rte/?mc_cid=26ae6d0064&mc_eid=3598503789

RTÉ even admit themselves that removing the channels from Sky and Virgin would very much be a nuclear option. If it did happen that they dropped the channels they would probably lose viewers in my opinion. Take Listowel for example, when digital switchover happened the local transmitter which had carried analogue, was taken out of service the digital service was transmitted from a new mast on Cnoc an Oir. This meant having to have your aerial re-pointed and re-polarised. Judging by the amount of aerials in the town that are still pointing at a decommissioned transmitter (including my own), most people are watching RTÉ on some form of pay TV provider. RTÉ would surely be running the risk of losing those viewers if they pull the channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

IT really will be a political decision in the end. If an election is called next year then don't expect a decision next year on it or the following year. It will be kicked down the line and the current arrangement will be left in place despite what RTE protests.

IT really will be a political decision in the end. If an election is called next year then don't expect a decision next year on it or the following year. It will be kicked down the line and the current arrangement will be left in place despite what RTE protests.

I can't see the current minister making a decision on this even if he stays in office for 3 more years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I can't see the current minister making a decision on this even if he stays in office for 3 more years.

I can't see the current minister making a decision.

Can kicking is a government sport - not just down the road but into the next parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

RTE should pay Sky for carrying it.

Advertisement