Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Capital Spending on Infrastructure

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

thomasj wrote: »
    EmoCourt wrote:
    And we almost had a Dart plunge into the Malahide estuary. You forgot about that.

Dart doesn't cross over malahide estuary!
    He did say almost! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Haha !

(It was a commuter train that almost crossed the estuary)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Around 2005/6 I was at a conference I think held by EI or CIF and a rep from the then NRA told us that when the entire Motorway Network is complete that they would then focus on upgrading all National Secondary routes around the country . Is that still a long term plan or is that gone and only selected routes will be upgraded?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roadmaster wrote: »
    Around 2005/6 I was at a conference I think held by EI or CIF and a rep from the then NRA told us that when the entire Motorway Network is complete that they would then focus on upgrading all National Secondary routes around the country . Is that still a long term plan or is that gone and only selected routes will be upgraded?
    Back in 2006, there was 100 or so schemes in some stage of planning, a large amount of which were national secondaries. Some of them have been done (large parts of the N52, Tullamore BP, Kenmare BP, N69 Tralee BP etc). Some of the plans involved large stretches of road Ennis-Inagh, Castlebar-Claremorris, Athlone-Boyle.

Nowadays, there is around 20 major schemes in planning and a large amount of minor schemes on the table. There is no long term strategy at present, just upto 2021. TII are focusing on the worst sections of national secondaries, such as the current realignments of the N55 in Cavan, N56 in Donegal and N52 in Westmeath. There is also some low volume national secondaries getting long realignments done in parts (N86 Tralee-Dingle, N56 Dungloe-Glenties, N59 Clifden-Oughterard (ABP denied), N59 Westport-Mulranny)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

roadmaster wrote: »

There is no plan really. The current capital spending plan for roads only covers parts that were delayed (Galway Bypass) and bottlenecks and dangerous parts. The only exception is the M20 which is strategic.

But there is really no order or sequence that routes will be done in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Leo's Capital Plan will be published this month, which will likely include the M20, parts of the N4 and N5, the A5/N2/N14 link but beyond that we don't know.

By the looks of things, funding will be allocated to restart the three schemes in donegal (N13/N56 Letterkenny relief, N14 Letterkenny-Lifford and the N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypasss). The M20 will also be restarted but beyond that we don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

In an interview on 27 December Paschal Donohoe was quoted as saying that the capital plan was merely a few weeks away.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/steady-unspectacular-dull-boring-paschal-donohoe-s-magic-mediocrity-1.3338340

Advertisement