Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Athenry data centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭threeball

Why does everything have to be an either / or choice?

Pat Supermac created more jobs for Athenry when he opened the Plaza than Apple ever would and thats nearly in Loughrea.

There's plenty of industries that deserve support and get none from the government that would creating 100's of jobs rather than the time and money that went into this rubbish. Perhaps you should ask your local TD why this country is crap at supporting local entrepreneurs but will fall over themselves for foreign entities who deliver nothing of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Ludikrus

threeball wrote: »
    Pat Supermac created more jobs for Athenry when he opened the Plaza than Apple ever would and thats nearly in Loughrea.

There's plenty of industries that deserve support and get none from the government that would creating 100's of jobs rather than the time and money that went into this rubbish. Perhaps you should ask your local TD why this country is crap at supporting local entrepreneurs but will fall over themselves for foreign entities who deliver nothing of note.

Apart from 200,000 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jobs for nurses, doctors etc .... and Pat Supermuck ain't paying them.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Apart from 200,000 jobs.

200,000 in data centres?? As that is what I referred to when I mentioned bringing nothing of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

200,000 in data centres?? As that is what I referred to when I mentioned bringing nothing of note.

Who said 200,000 in data centres? He said 200,000 jobs from foreign entities. We can't ALL work at Supermacs.

• Advertisement

Who said 200,000 in data centres? He said 200,000 jobs from foreign entities. We can't ALL work at Supermacs.

Keep the head up. Some day you'll make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

If the data centre went ahead, Pat McDonagh would have created more jobs in the Plaza as there would have been greater demand.

The data centre would have been guaranteed jobs for a long period.

The data centre would have created additional jobs in Athenry.

This data centre was/will be built somewhere. We have just lost out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

On a somewhat semi related note, I see Amazon got their go ahead to build a 1 billion euro facility in Mulhuddart. It would have been nice to see Apple given the go ahead in Athenry, but as we all know, the objectors ****ed that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    On a somewhat semi related note, I see Amazon got their go ahead to build a 1 billion euro facility in Mulhuddart. It would have been nice to see Apple given the go ahead in Athenry, but as we all know, the objectors ****ed that one up.

Apple would have cancelled anyway, just as they have cancelled the one they were building in Denmark. It wasn't the protests or construction problems (Denmark), that caused them to cancel these projects, it was because iPhone sales are declining and they no longer saw a need for data centres in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

cnocbui wrote: »
    Apple would have cancelled anyway, just as they have cancelled the one they were building in Denmark. It wasn't the protests or construction problems (Denmark), that caused them to cancel these projects, it was because iPhone sales are declining and they no longer saw a need for data centres in Europe.

Well it would have been built as it was due to start at the same time as the first one in Denmark.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Well it would have been built as it was due to start at the same time as the first one in Denmark.

No it wouldn't, the one in Denmark was cancelled too, even though construction had begun. Apple pulled out because they no longer wanted data centers in Europe, or they figured it was cheaper to just pay Google, as they already do for a lot of their cloud requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The second site in Denmark was cancelled. The first is being expanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No it wouldn't, the one in Denmark was cancelled too, even though construction had begun. Apple pulled out because they no longer wanted data centers in Europe, or they figured it was cheaper to just pay Google, as they already do for a lot of their cloud requirements.

The one that was canceled was the second one, the replacement for athenry, it would have been built.

JJJackal wrote: »
    If the data centre went ahead, Pat McDonagh would have created more jobs in the Plaza as there would have been greater demand.

The data centre would have been guaranteed jobs for a long period.

The data centre would have created additional jobs in Athenry.

This data centre was/will be built somewhere. We have just lost out

Yes he would have had to staff up to keep the 20 people employed in the DC fed. They'd be ran off their feet at lunchtime.

Stupid post and shows what you really know about the DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's built a good while now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

6 wrote: »
    It's built a good while now.

The one referred to was cancelled, have a quick web search old chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

Yes he would have had to staff up to keep the 20 people employed in the DC fed. They'd be ran off their feet at lunchtime.

Just curious do you work in a DC or are you taking all your info about the number of jobs that would be created by reading articles?

I suspect your posts illustrates your knowledge of economics - I doubt any of the lets call it "20" staff employed would have gone to the plaza for their lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Iphone sales are declining because people are waiting longer to upgrade now. Including myself who used to upgraded religiously every year.
    Regardless of that fact you still have a huge number of people on ios and cloud services are still required in Europe.
    In fact Cloud services are increasing significantly for Apple which is a good thing as it means they're reducing their exposure on iphone sales.
    In fact Services are already bringing in more revenue than Ipad, Mac and wearables.
    And its increasing 20% year on year growth.
    So yes they either need to build data centres in Europe or source from Amazon, Google or Microsoft.
    Also even though the main contractor has stopped worked on the site in Denmark the subcontractors are still working away.
    Apparently its a dispute between the Irish contractor (Exyte) who was unable to meet previously agreed deadlines.
    Apple should really avoid any Irish buiders/contractors for any work going forward as you just cannot depend on them whatsoever. Any joe soap would have told them this :)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/18273179/apple-icloud-itunes-app-store-music-services-businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

What do iPhone sales have to do with data centres? iPhone data would only be a small portion of big data. Apple is also starting its own online video streaming service which will require regional data centres for Western Europe and North Africa. Many companies such as Microsoft (Azure), Amazon (AWS) and Google also provide hosting/ storage services.

All data centers have duplicate disaster recovery sites in multiple locations (Microsoft have their centres in Amsterdam and Dublin for example).

Data centres trend to be clustered near eachother so they can share resources such as high capacity internet connections, redundant power, access to clean air and water and also resources such as people..

People are always complaining about tech jobs going to Dublin and it is a valid complaint. But when they do try to move outside of Dublin this happens.

Some have said, oh sure they wouldn't have built anyway or would have pulled out in a few years. Without any proof, just assumptions. And I'm sure I'll get a glib : hang in there for that supermacs job, buddy.

But I have quite extensive experience with data centres. Would t have hired a lot of people DIRECTLY after construction? Maybe a couple of dozen is all. However indirectly? Local electricians on lucrative 24/7 support contracts. Local plumbing on lucrative 24/7 support contracts. Local logistic/shipping companies. Local small electrical manufacturers (cabling harnesses, power assemblies etc). As well as previously mentioned shops etc.

And as I said, these trend to draw more companies to then but I suppose this would not be wanted either.

• Advertisement

And as I said, these trend to draw more companies to then but I suppose this would not be wanted either.

Some people are afraid of progress and are simple just **ts. Like those 2 people protesting against this for no reason. The town entire town of Athenry protested in favor, there was a massive air of depression in the area after it got cancelled so it pay no heed to the one or two people in here trying to claim otherwise.

This would have been absolutely fantastic for Co. Galway, both directly and indirectly but a few fools who should have been ignored ruined it. One thing for sure if we are lucky enough to get something big like this again in the county (which we may not be) there will be no bull s*it taken and it will be fast tracked though planning of that you can be sure.

Some people are afraid of progress and are simple just **ts. Like those 2 people protesting against this for no reason.

They objected on legitimate environmental grounds and were concerned that an inadequate assessment was completed which would adequately reflect the environmental impact of the site if it were fully built

The town entire town of Athenry protested in favor

Lol, no they didn't. There was about 200 people. Those who wanted it were enamoured with the Apple name and had little understanding of the environmental implications

there was a massive air of depression in the area after it got cancelled so it pay no heed to the one or two people in here trying to claim otherwise.

About the same level of depression as losing a match, people got over it.

This would have been absolutely fantastic for Co. Galway, both directly and indirectly but a few fools who should have been ignored ruined it.

I prefer to refer to it as a close call. Athenry, Galway, Connacht got lucky when this was cancelled.

One thing for sure if we are lucky enough to get something big like this again in the county (which we may not be) there will be no bull s*it taken and it will be fast tracked though planning of that you can be sure.

Here's hoping it never comes around again

About the same level of depression as losing a match, people got over it.

And yet we are still talking about it?

Illustrates your reading capacity anyway seen as that's the point I was making in a sarcastic manner.

Illustrates your reading capacity anyway seen as that's the point I was making in a sarcastic manner.

Ditto!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Some people are afraid of progress and are simple just **ts. Like those 2 people protesting against this for no reason. The town entire town of Athenry protested in favor, there was a massive air of depression in the area after it got cancelled so it pay no heed to the one or two people in here trying to claim otherwise.

This would have been absolutely fantastic for Co. Galway, both directly and indirectly but a few fools who should have been ignored ruined it. One thing for sure if we are lucky enough to get something big like this again in the county (which we may not be) there will be no bull s*it taken and it will be fast tracked though planning of that you can be sure.

the whole town of athenry really did lose the run of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

JJJackal wrote: »
    And yet we are still talking about it?

We're not one bit surprised

I prefer to refer to it as a close call. Athenry, Galway, Connacht got lucky when this was cancelled.

Here's hoping it never comes around again

Such a backward, anti progress outlook. It’s also clueless.

Project Ireland 2040 has attracting data centers and putting in place the necessary infrastructure to support them as one of the key national strategic outcomes for the country. That’s how important this type of thing is and such a horrible horrible shame Co Galway has been denied this.

It reminds me of my grandmother who still complains that it took them so long to get electricity because of a few people who were “against it” and delayed it’s roll out in many areas for years. They were as dim as those who prevented the massive massive development which would have done so much good for the county.

The Athenry data centre, if expanded to the full projected size, would have increased Ireland's electricity consumption by 8%.

Given Ireland is possibly already on the hook for probable multi million EU fines for not meeting CO2 targets, the whole idea was daft. You can be sure Apple wasn't going to be the ones paying the fines or a share of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cnocbui wrote:
    Given Ireland is possibly already on the hook for probable multi million EU fines for not meeting CO2 targets, the whole idea was daft. You can be sure Apple wasn't going to be the ones paying the fines or a share of them.

Ah shur we can use the 13bn donation

Advertisement