Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions v New Zealand 3rd Test Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

irishman86 wrote: »
    I have no problem accusing them of being bottlers. The Lions have had most calls go there way, not really what Im complaining about like a few have said Warburton has a head boy way of talking to refs.
    The call he had decided a penalty then changed based on the moment of the game, it was similar to Chile/Germany farce in the Confederations cup last week

The word bottler in this case must be lost in translation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Augme

You've already made this statement before and have had the law quoted to you and pointed out where the decision came from. No response from you and here you are back again with the same old rigmarole. Are you just sticking your fingers in your ears when the facts are pointed out to you?

Well actually the facts are that it should have been penalty. There's really no debating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

irishman86 wrote: »
    Thats the definition of bottling it, everything said it was a penalty but he didnt have the balls to stand up and give it knowing the backlash he would get in europe over it, he took the easy way out

You can save yourself time and just type "Yes, I am" next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Buer wrote: »
    You can save yourself time and just type "Yes, I am" next time.

You can save yourself time and just not post a non related comment buddy

clsmooth wrote: »
    The word bottler in this case must be lost in translation :D

Im guessing so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Augme wrote: »
    Well actually the facts are that it should have been penalty. There's really no debating.
    Take a look at the incident ....

Reid was a mile offside from the KO .... that was the only reason he got near the ball in the first place.

Should have been a Lions scrum on the half-way.

..... there's a debating point for you!

Reid was a mile offside from the KO .... that was the only reason he got near the ball in the first place.

Correct. He was a 1-2m in front of the halfway line when the ball was kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Augme wrote:

It shouldn't but there isn't much point debating it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Augme

Take a look at the incident ....

Should have been a Lions scrum on the half-way.

..... there's a debating point for you!

Now I haven't seen that part so that could well be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was immortality achieved?

Ha...well all I will say is that it's been the most dramatic Lions series since 1997 and that still gets talked about a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It would have been an absolutely s*** way to lose such a dramatic series...BUT...I'm pretty sure it was a penalty. That said I'd say it would be virtually impossible not to react the way Owens did. The fact he countered that reaction so quickly is a credit to him. But if I were a Kiwi I'd be pretty livid.

One thing though..Jordie Barrett...feck me, what a talent...he was far from perfect, but for a 20 year old in his NZ start...the kid is a bit special.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

bilston wrote: »
    It would have been an absolutely s*** way to lose such a dramatic series...BUT...I'm pretty sure it was a penalty. That said I'd say it would be virtually impossible not to react the way Owens did. The fact he countered that reaction so quickly is a credit to him. But if I were a Kiwi I'd be pretty livid.

One thing though..Jordie Barrett...feck me, what a talent...he was far from perfect, but for a 20 year old in his NZ start...the kid is a bit special.
    In this case two wrongs made a right ..... I don't think the Kiwis have too much to complain about regarding this incident. [See #817 above]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just watching it back and I'm not sure when the ball was actually kicked that he was offside.

He's a pretty quick guy and I think he starts running to time it that he's still onside but at a good pace when the ball is kicked.

If he is offside I'd say it's only a negligible amount

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

You didn't. You made no reference to the law as quoted. If you want to debate it within the law as applied, I'm all ears. Merely repeating an opinion isn't a debate.

Just to be clear. You can actually do what Owens did and it not be penalised. Another ref may well have decided that he played the ball and penalise him, but this ref didn't. In fairness it would have been very harsh considering no advantage of any sort accrued through Owens' contact with the ball.

Nothing unfair or unjust there.

So you can be offside and you can also be offside and handle the ball. I suppose you can be offside and take a player out? Where are you going with your logic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If you want my honest opinion it was a reflex from Owens and probably not deliberate off side. A technical penalty if you want. Like faumuina really last week.

The ABs had butter fingers plus BB is an erratic goalkicker and that was that.

Thought Jonathan Davies was immense for the lions all series, seriously under-rated on here, probably Welsh + BOD 2013 = hard work to please the forum.

Reckon RWC 2019 could be best ever. Youd fancy the NH sides to have the best chance since 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The camera is close up to Barrett as he kicks and Read is way out ahead of the rest of his team mates. If he is onside he has serious pace about him.

Any other angles available does anyone know

swiwi_ wrote: »
    If you want my honest opinion it was a reflex from Owens and probably not deliberate off side. A technical penalty if you want. Like faumuina really last week.

The ABs had butter fingers plus BB is an erratic goalkicker and that was that.

Thought Jonathan Davies was immense for the lions all series, seriously under-rated on here, probably Welsh + BOD 2013 = hard work to please the forum.

Reckon RWC 2019 could be best ever. Youd fancy the NH sides to have the best chance since 2003.

Agreed, he was very good. I think he's quite an underrated player in general as he's not particularly flashy. Not too many mentions of him even on the BBC forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was immortality achieved?

More or less, but they have to return to the great well of K'zuk once ever Lunar eclipse and drink deep from the waters of life therin.

It's a partial success on that front.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So you can be offside and you can also be offside and handle the ball. I suppose you can be offside and take a player out? Where are you going with your logic

It's like running into your own man.

If you do it in traffic and stop a defender it's a penalty.

If you do it 20m away from the defence it's play on.

Owens was offside but didn't interfere with the New Zealand players getting the ball.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The camera is close up to Barrett as he kicks and Read is way out ahead of the rest of his team mates. If he is onside he has serious pace about him.

Any other angles available does anyone know

I haven't found any, granted I didn't really look, but you can see Read start to run as Barrett is starting his kicking movement and if you freeze it just after he kicks it at the point where the camera angle flicks to widescreen you can see Read is just crossing the halfway line.

If he is offside it's only by a small amount in my opinion.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's like running into your own man.

If you do it in traffic and stop a defender it's a penalty.

If you do it 20m away from the defence it's play on.

Owens was offside but didn't interfere with the New Zealand players getting the ball.

In that case should advantage have been played? Bloody tough job being a referee!

In that case should advantage have been played? Bloody tough job being a referee!

I think Poite blew for a penalty but changed his mind once he saw the replay.

and yeah being a ref is a very tough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

I think Poite blew for a penalty but changed his mind once he saw the replay.

and yeah being a ref is a very tough job.
    Particularly when you have so many people who know better than the ref :-)

Just watching it back and I'm not sure when the ball was actually kicked that he was offside.

Given his position when the camera zooms out, if he isn't offside at the moment BB connected with the ball NZ should be confident of a medal in the 100m in Tokyo in 2020.

I agree, he's got a great set of wheels :P

Agreed, he was very good. I think he's quite an underrated player in general as he's not particularly flashy. Not too many mentions of him even on the BBC forums.

Id agree with this rather than a Wales/BOD thing. I feel hes not a good passer and a lot of the time kills a move, but put a 12 like Farrell inside him for all his flaws in the position and he looks a far better player. When he was with Teo, for me they were both average
    I dont think it was the best player over there, that would be be SOB or Itoje

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I dunno were the ball is in that pic

2lu2ki0.jpg

You can see it here but remember Read timed his run to coincide with Barret kicking the ball so he's running here.

So if he is offside, it's not by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

There was a guy who has jumped vertically and is in the air when he arrives. He blows the guy, who jumped vertically I may add, 6 foot from where he jumped. Clear as bloody day penalty. Good series, good result, let it go guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I dunno were the ball is in that pic

2lu2ki0.jpg

You can see it here but remember Read timed his run to coincide with Barret kicking the ball so he's running here.

So if he is offside, it's not by miles.

Looks like an incredibly timed run. Which is not surprising for a player of the calibre of Read.

Reminds me of Demarcus Ware. Any NFL fans will know his incredible timing and how he always looks offside until you put it in slow motion and see he's borderline every time. Ware'd be a far superior athlete but that instinctive timing is something we've seen from guys like Moody in rugby before.

One thing that this series reminds me of is how jealous I am of the kiwis, such a depth of natural talent, maybe one day they'll be as good as the Leinster academy.

Advertisement