Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The homeless millionaire.

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

My grandfathers uncle (a bachelor) lived permanently in a hotel in the South of Ireland for years until he died. When he died his estate was the equivalent of about €2 million. Sadly none of the money made it as far as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

4ensic15 wrote: »
    My grandfathers uncle (a bachelor) lived permanently in a hotel in the South of Ireland for years until he died. When he died his estate was the equivalent of about €2 million. Sadly none of the money made it as far as me.

Sounds like the lad I met.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This may or may not be true, but for someone who can actually afford to live like that it would make a hell of a lot more sense to buy a nice pad in a smart part of Dublin and employ a butler sort of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

jimgoose wrote: »
    This may or may not be true, but for someone who can actually afford to live like that it would make a hell of a lot more sense to buy a nice pad in a smart part of Dublin and employ a butler sort of person.

Sense schmense. Not to them.They choose not to do so. Many elderly millionaires are eccentric and what you describe is the last thing they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always wondered what mindset there is for someone to live a very basic life with little or no luxuries, and yet have no family or anyone to leave the money to.

I remember reading some story about a bachelor farmer in Kerry or Cork a decade or so back, who left nearly 3million behind him, yet he lived a very basic and frugal life.

Whats the point?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I always wondered what mindset there is for someone to live a very basic life with little or no luxuries, and yet have no family or anyone to leave the money to.

I remember reading some story about a bachelor farmer in Kerry or Cork a decade or so back, who left nearly 3million behind him, yet he lived a very basic and frugal life.

Whats the point?

A lot of these characters simply have no idea what one might spend money on beyond the necessities, so they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hookers would be a start! I'm sure many of them are dying as virgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Didn't Richard Harris stay in the Savoy Hotel in London for years?

Imagine being completely ignorant about who he actually was and he started randomly chatting away to you in a London Pub, he'd be regaling you with stories about him being a famous 'actor' who had worked with the likes of Brando et al, he'd tell you who stayed in the swanky Savoy and not having a clue who he was you're thinking "Yeah....right....ok....". You'd then tell people you'd met that some elderly bum had you totally convinced that he was a huge Hollywood star!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

He is not homeless (homeless people worry about having a roof over their head day to day) and a millionaire sneering at people for wanting possessions is just laughable.

valoren wrote: »
    Didn't Richard Harris stay in the Savoy Hotel in London for years?

Imagine being completely ignorant about who he actually was and he started randomly chatting away to you in a London Pub, he'd be regaling you with stories about him being a famous 'actor' who had worked with the likes of Brando et al, he'd tell you who stayed in the swanky Savoy and not having a clue who he was you're thinking "Yeah....right....ok....". You'd then tell people you'd met that some elderly bum had you totally convinced that he was a huge Hollywood star!

It's just English Bob, the no-good low-down varmint!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Hookers would be a start! I'm sure many of them are dying as virgins.

"I'm goin' ta town Daddy, ta get meself a WOMAN!!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

jimgoose wrote: »

Its probably a loneliness thing.
    Living in your own house alone vs living in a hotel constantly surrounded by people and staff who know you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

My son once stayed in a hostel in Canada with a guy who claimed to be a millionaire stockbroker who stayed in hostels because he met interesting people in them. My son went along with it but didn't believe him for a minute. They were discussing the Colm McGregor fight (not the most recent, the one before that) one night and the fella said he'd send my son and his friend to Vegas for it and they laughed it off saying "jaysus, can't wait".

A week before the fight this guys secretary rings my son for his and his friends passport numbers for the flights. Flew them business class, put them up in a 5 star hotel with tickets for the fight. One of the greatest moments of my sons life. He's learned to be a bit more trusting now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Has the money to pay no family as such and knows he will be dead within few years so hotels it is. Must cost a fortune but worse ways to spend it.

Come to think of it didnt Keanu Reeves live in hotels for years too?.

IIRC another celebrated ”strange" character, Nikola Tesla lived in a New York hotel. Died there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

pilly wrote: »
    My son once stayed in a hostel in Canada with a guy who claimed to be a millionaire stockbroker who stayed in hostels because he met interesting people in them. My son went along with it but didn't believe him for a minute.
    We've one or two "millionaires" on here as well. Wouldn't be holding my breath for fight tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

pilly wrote: »
    My son once stayed in a hostel in Canada with a guy who claimed to be a millionaire stockbroker who stayed in hostels because he met interesting people in them. My son went along with it but didn't believe him for a minute. They were discussing the Colm McGregor fight (not the most recent, the one before that) one night and the fella said he'd send my son and his friend to Vegas for it and they laughed it off saying "jaysus, can't wait".

A week before the fight this guys secretary rings my son for his and his friends passport numbers for the flights. Flew them business class, put them up in a 5 star hotel with tickets for the fight. One of the greatest moments of my sons life. He's learned to be a bit more trusting now. :D

What went on it that hostel?:(:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

Am I the only one jealous that OP at least had an interesting conversation. All I seem to attract is people trying to save me by joining their cult / sect/ version of some religion or the other. I would happily talk to a convincing lier over any religious nutcases out there.

Advertisement