Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The homeless millionaire.

Options

Comments

There is an individual in Galway - most locals would know of him. He regularly cycles in, gets drunk, and can be seen dancing around the streets of Galway. In reality - he is potentially extremely rich. Supposedly he owns land that is worth millions, so the story goes. Yet he refuses to and enjoys his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

While I do like to believe that this is a nice story he may have mistaken you as 'a woman of the night'

Theres a man here in Dublin, who also, lives in a hotel. Its one of the top hotels. before that he resided at the Four Seasons.

Strange life...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

endacl wrote: »
    I met a hatless billionaire once. Worth a fortune, but didn't own a hat. Weird. Each to their own, I suppose...

I met a few heartless millionaires. Kinda the same thing... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Jawgap wrote: »
    .... The company was founded by three guys from a fairly rough part of Bristol and as part of our job we're allowed spend time (and some company money/resources) on certain types of community empowerment projects.

So what are these communities able to do or authorized to do as a result of your intervention?

Is that 'empowered' word now meaningless guff these days?
    There is an individual in Galway - most locals would know of him. He regularly cycles in, gets drunk, and can be seen dancing around the streets of Galway. In reality - he is potentially extremely rich. Supposedly he owns land that is worth millions, so the story goes. Yet he refuses to and enjoys his life.

It's a lot more than an individual. There were a considerable amount of trust fund hippies wandering about that town when I lived there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That's b0llix and nothing more than a fairy story... would be cool if it were true though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Jake1 wrote: »
    Theres a man here in Dublin, who also, lives in a hotel. Its one of the top hotels. before that he resided at the Four Seasons.

Strange life...

T'is dead money.

(hides and watches)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

greencap wrote: »
    T'is dead money.

(hides and watches)

Clearly it is not saving anything. The original German guy is possibly a multi millionaire and had no descendents so he can play down his money for years. If he's running low he can bite a place in leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

topper75 wrote: »
    So what are these communities able to do or authorized to do as a result of your intervention?

Is that 'empowered' word now meaningless guff these days?

It's a lot more than an individual. There were a considerable amount of trust fund hippies wandering about that town when I lived there.

Not really, the projects we get to work on get a lot of support from us (some financial, some of it in-kind). So, for example, the advocacy group I work with gets help with preparing and maintaining its books by our finance people - it means the volunteers can be out working with people instead of spending an inordinate amount of time with accounts or preparing bids etc for funding.

If they need advice, for example legal advice on issues they are dealing with, we can help - or if we can't help we know people who can and we 'browbeat' them into providing some time/effort for free.......on behalf of the people the group tries to help, we carry out advocacy work - sometimes when people are not doing well and they run up against 'official Ireland' they just need someone who knows the system and who will not be put off by the bureaucracy ;)

....a couple of our IT gremlins help out with a homework club, and I know at least one other person who took advantage of the scheme to help out with a breakfast club. .....

......not exactly world-changing but if the lads who own the company wanted to they could just make a donation to assuage whatever social conscience they might have.....or they can do as they are doing and encourage the people they can influence to also make a contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

living in hotels is all very well, but where would you keep your stuff? He can hardly be carrying all seasons clothes everywhere he goes.
    Unless he is so wealthy that he just discards his clothes, shoes etc and buys new in each place. Seems a bit odd though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Better off renting a camper van and driving around cos it's less expensive but I guess he doesn't need to worry about money cos he is a homeless millionaire.
    Campers can be lonely though. You have less chance for random interactions with people driving around in a camper than you would say if you took busses everywhere and stayed in hotels and B&Bs.
    He's not homeless at all. He chooses to make his home temporarily wherever he sees fit.
    Homeless people don't have a choice. Choice is the difference.
    In the strictest sense, anyone who doesn't have permanent accommodation is classed as "homeless". How and why they're in that situation is not important.
    The number of people who choose this lifestyle is small, but they are considered homeless nonetheless.
    Jake1 wrote: »

Strange life...
    Strange life, but not *that* uncommon among very wealthy people who travel a lot. A hotel is expensive compared to say an apartment, but everything is done for you. You don't have to worry about furniture, cleaning, shopping, cooking, taxes, utilities, etc.
    If you were to rent an apartment on the basis that you would walk in and have a team of servants managing it for you and a company who you paid a single fee for everything, it'd be expensive and probably not as luxurious as a hotel.

How much would it cost to rent a fully-furnished, fully-serviced penthouse apartment in Dublin with a cook, cleaner, concierge & servant available 24/7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Clearly it is not saving anything. The original German guy is possibly a multi millionaire and had no descendents so he can play down his money for years. If he's running low he can bite a place in leitrim

Would that not break his teeth?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That's b0llix and nothing more than a fairy story... would be cool if it were true though!

Not bollox at all. If you're from around Galway, you'd know him as the Anti-Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not really, the projects we get to work on get a lot of support from us (some financial, some of it in-kind)..

OK so I guess they are empowered to some extent in that they can do stuff they wouldn't otherwise be able to do. You gave a robust defence!

I just get irritated when words such as empowered are thrown around to the point where they lose original meaning and vigour. See awesome. Large multinationals and their buzzword culture are often to blame.

Hats off for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

If I was a millionaire I would think about living in a hotel or multiple hotels too.

24/7 service, people that clean your room, food delivery, often in the center of a city,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

He's right. Why do people care about having a big house? End of the day it provides the same cover as a smaller house. Car same thing. And lets be honest again when you dead whos going to give a crap you owned a big house down the road or drove 017 car nobody. Enjoy your life, less stress, and travel the world and go meet people nights out.

Come back to us when you're 70, penniless, and have to pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    3 rented homes, did you rent them yourself or were you couch surfing?

If you're in private rented accommodation, you're not homeless.

I'm going by the statistical definitions. Private rented accommodation is permanent accommodation, in that it is intended for someone to live there on a long term, even if your lease is only 3 months.

Whereas hotels and hostels are not intended for permanent accommodation, even though someone who is homeless may end up living there long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

He's right. Why do people care about having a big house? End of the day it provides the same cover as a smaller house. Car same thing. And lets be honest again when you dead whos going to give a crap you owned a big house down the road or drove 017 car nobody. Enjoy your life, less stress, and travel the world and go meet people nights out.

That's all well and good if you're a millionaire, his concern is where next to stay, not, will I have a roof over my head tomorrow? Which is a far more pressing concern to the 'not millionaires' of this world and a pretty stressful situation to be in. There's nothing wrong with wanting that security, which that guy has. Not that I'd ever want his life, is sounds pretty lonely to be that rootless without family or community and only randomers to talk to.
    To be destined to be found dead in a hotel room by housekeeping some morning seems like a sad epitaph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

If he's really a millionaire then he'll earn a decent amount on interest alone.
    I'm talking several tens of millions of euro in the bank though, not 1 million.

It's all post tax if he is already a multi millionaire, he will mostly be playing down savings . If he's 70 and has a few million and nobody to inherit then even costs of $150k will last a long time.

At that spend $5M would keep him for 30 years.

(Personally I'd say he would spend $300k.a year though).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

He was good natured and realized the absurdity of gathering possessions so he spends it on hotels b and b's instead. Each to their own.
    Cool to meet a homeless millionaire!.

Its very easy for a millionaire to say "the absurdity of owning possessions".

Without his millions he would be really homeless and on the street. Very few are in the lucky position to be able to buy everything they need with cash in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I once got talking to a naked millionaire man who was rather hairy.
    Come to think of it, I was rather drunk at the time.
    Perhaps I misheard his "millionhairs" claim....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

So recently spoke to a homeless millionaire. He spoke to me for hours on a lake walk. Hes an elderly German man who loves Ireland so lives here. He spends all his time living in hotels and b and b's as thats what he likes proudly telling me he does not rent own or posess any home. "Im a homess millionaire" he said jovially.He was highly intelligent and speaks several languages (how he made his money actually language courses). His story was fascinating (albeit a bit sad, dead wife and son) and I know people might say ah he was lying but he came across as very sincere and brutally honest and a man in his late 70's really has no reason to lie to a total stranger I mean he couldnt benefit either way. He laughed at peoples obsession for property and had some amazing insights into life. I learned from the man anyway. He was good natured and realized the absurdity of gathering possessions so he spends it on hotels b and b's instead. Each to their own.
    Cool to meet a homeless millionaire!.

1) This crazy lonely old man was obviously lying for attention.

2) Being a millionaire is actually no big deal. Sell your house and you're 2/3rds of the way there.

3) Imagine the hassle of having to cart everything you own from hotel to hotel. Even if you only owned a few changes of clothes and some photo albums and a laptop. It has to be more than a suitcase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If he spent that a year on hotels and only had E1m, he's be able to go for over 66 years. I'm sure he'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

topper75 wrote: »
    OK so I guess they are empowered to some extent in that they can do stuff they wouldn't otherwise be able to do. You gave a robust defence!

I just get irritated when words such as empowered are thrown around to the point where they lose original meaning and vigour. See awesome. Large multinationals and their buzzword culture are often to blame.

Hats off for the work.

You should touch base with HR, and maybe run point on some workshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If he spent that a year on hotels and only had E1m, he's be able to go for over 66 years. I'm sure he'll be grand.

I think your calculator might be broken.

Who said he only had 1M. Probably a multi millionaire

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I've met a few millionaires in my time,not blokes who reckoned their gaff was worth a million quid but people(usually from the country) who had come up without an arse in their trousers and worked and saved their arses off for decades. Usually they had bought a few shiit properties back in the 60s and sold them for huge money in the last decade or two.
    Without exception they were tightwads, one guy brought a packet of marietta biscuits into work on monday to do him for lunches for the entire week. Another was a landlord who lived in a semi-derilect hovel and wore one suit for 50 years whilst raking in thousands a week in rent.

Advertisement