Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The homeless millionaire.

Options
  • 07-07-2017 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

So recently spoke to a homeless millionaire. He spoke to me for hours on a lake walk. Hes an elderly German man who loves Ireland so lives here. He spends all his time living in hotels and b and b's as thats what he likes proudly telling me he does not rent own or posess any home. "Im a homess millionaire" he said jovially.He was highly intelligent and speaks several languages (how he made his money actually language courses). His story was fascinating (albeit a bit sad, dead wife and son) and I know people might say ah he was lying but he came across as very sincere and brutally honest and a man in his late 70's really has no reason to lie to a total stranger I mean he couldnt benefit either way. He laughed at peoples obsession for property and had some amazing insights into life. I learned from the man anyway. He was good natured and realized the absurdity of gathering possessions so he spends it on hotels b and b's instead. Each to their own.
    Cool to meet a homeless millionaire!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I met a hatless billionaire once. Worth a fortune, but didn't own a hat. Weird. Each to their own, I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Better off renting a camper van and driving around cos it's less expensive but I guess he doesn't need to worry about money cos he is a homeless millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Obviously he once had an obsession for 'gathering' himself, since he became a millionaire. Now that he has lost his 2 closest relatives he has 'seen the light' and decided to spend it. His story seems rather unusual though. In Ireland those who have an obsession for gathering, largely subjecting themselves to poverty in many cases, pass it on to a relative who in turn will p##s it all against a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Better off renting a camper van and driving around cos it's less expensive but I guess he doesn't need to worry about money cos he is a homeless millionaire.

Has the money to pay no family as such and knows he will be dead within few years so hotels it is. Must cost a fortune but worse ways to spend it.

Come to think of it didnt Keanu Reeves live in hotels for years too?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So recently spoke to a homeless millionaire. He spoke to me for hours on a lake walk. Hes an elderly German man who loves Ireland so lives here. He spends all his time living in hotels and b and b's as thats what he likes proudly telling me he does not rent own or posess any home. "Im a homess millionaire" he said jovially.He was highly intelligent and speaks several languages (how he made his money actually language courses). His story was fascinating (albeit a bit sad, dead wife and son) and I know people might say ah he was lying but he came across as very sincere and brutally honest and a man in his late 70's really has no reason to lie to a total stranger I mean he couldnt benefit either way. He laughed at peoples obsession for property and had some amazing insights into life. I learned from the man anyway. He was good natured and realized the absurdity of gathering possessions so he spends it on hotels b and b's instead. Each to their own.

I don't believe him.

• Advertisement

I know people might say ah he was lying
    /thread

He's homeless, man. I once shared a dorm with a Welsh guy in a Czech hostel who regaled me with stories of his life at the top of a corporate empire. When he went to take a poop, my Canadian room-mate told me how this ex-Captain of Industry had previously told the Canadian he was in the SAS and how he was almost killed in the Gulf War.

I don't know why people say this shit OP. It's probably because of a totally understandable need to escape from the far more real hole they have dug themselves into. Some people just aren't comfortable in their own skin. There are some pretty sad cases of it amongst those who are on the streets, and frankly, even on this website. I'm not saying any names, but we all know.

I don't believe him.

You dont have to. Like I said he was elderly and he enjoyed telling someone his story and came across as sincere, very polite and grounded. Important to note he wasnt bragging or anything (nice man).

Quite a few rich folk spend long time time in hotels though common in The U.A.E.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,301 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

He's a bit like the Major from Fawlty towers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

He's right. Why do people care about having a big house? End of the day it provides the same cover as a smaller house. Car same thing. And lets be honest again when you dead whos going to give a crap you owned a big house down the road or drove 017 car nobody. Enjoy your life, less stress, and travel the world and go meet people nights out.

Are you saying what I think you're saying?

OP, was this person Keanu Reeves possibly playing his greatest role yet? Did he end any sentences with "bogus, dude"?

• Advertisement

Are you saying what I think you're saying?

OP, was this person Keanu Reeves possibly playing his greatest role yet? Did he end any sentences with "bogus, dude"?

Serious props to the make up team for turing him into a very convincing old German man!

Also that thick German accent Keanu well done mate. Heres me thinking hes a wooden sterile hack who couldnt act who got VERY lucky!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Has the money to pay no family as such and knows he will be dead within few years so hotels it is. Must cost a fortune but worse ways to spend it.

Plenty of people have lived in hotels. It was common in Hollywood.

Plenty of people have lived in hotels. It was common in Hollywood.

Not in Ireland it aint. Thats why its unusual.

Used to be more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

We may have different takes on what 'homeless' means.

Not in Ireland it aint. Thats why its unusual.

So what. He isn't Irish. No reason to not believe this.

A hotel room is a serviced studio apartment. Or more if you get a decent room.

The Chelsea hotel in New York was famous for its residents. Long term residents. They wouldn't be homeless of course.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Always annoying to hear some millionaire waffle on about how after all money isn't that important in their life, it's just the simple things that count, blah blah blah...when really they'd stab their granny in the back to close a deal.

Tesla spent more than 40 years in different new York hotels. Died in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Damn, thought this was a discussion about a new TV show where a millionaire goes homeless and the first person to give him €5............. he surprises the next day (whilst wearing a suit and tie) and gives them a briefcase with €50,000 cash inside....... but only because I gave a homeless guy a €5 last week. That chap who plays the beat up old guitar and sings Beatles tunes on Henry St and North Earl St most days/

osarusan wrote: »
    Always annoying to hear some millionaire waffle on about how after all money isn't that important in their life, it's just the simple things that count, blah blah blah...when really they'd stab their granny in the back to close a deal.

Erm Where did I say he waffled on money not being important?!?!. He said no such thing!.
    He said he doesnt need a home as such. He still has roof over his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you're a millionaire in your twilight years money ain't important. The guy probably spent his life amassing it and feels regretful.

Also why is there some sort of bird squaking its head off at two thirty in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Having a home is not about owning property. People on social housing don't own their property.
    He's not homeless at all. He chooses to make his home temporarily wherever he sees fit.
    Homeless people don't have a choice. Choice is the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

' Oh,..Think twice,...it's just another day for you and me in paradise,...'

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Major Gowan wouldn't appreciate being compared to a German!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Creol1 wrote: »
    Major Gowan wouldn't appreciate being compared to a German!

He was a great man to keep a secret all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

/thread

He's homeless, man. I once shared a dorm with a Welsh guy in a Czech hostel who regaled me with stories of his life at the top of a corporate empire. When he went to take a poop, my Canadian room-mate told me how this ex-Captain of Industry had previously told the Canadian he was in the SAS and how he was almost killed in the Gulf War.

I don't know why people say this shit OP. It's probably because of a totally understandable need to escape from the far more real hole they have dug themselves into. Some people just aren't comfortable in their own skin. There are some pretty sad cases of it amongst those who are on the streets, and frankly, even on this website. I'm not saying any names, but we all know.

Probably just having a bit of fun. I was once "Gaz from Chelmsford" on holiday for a bit. Had the accent down to a tee. I also played League of Ireland football. I am fat now so wouldn't get away with it. I am thinking about venturing into management.

It's great to see how long you can play for before the mask slips.

Probably just having a bit of fun. I was once "Gaz from Chelmsford" on holiday for a bit. Had the accent down to a tee. I also played League of Ireland football. I am fat now so wouldn't get away with it. I am thinking about venturing into management.

It's great to see how long you can play for before the mask slips.

Sounds exhausting
    When I go on holidays I like to be myself

Leave that mask wearing for the office :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

"One thanks = amen" :D:D:D

Why doesn't he take his money, and his obvious skills and do a "Chuck Feeney" - give it away to efficient, worthy causes rather than the hospitality industry? I know you probably don't know the answer to that question, but take, for example, the crowd I work for. The company was founded by three guys from a fairly rough part of Bristol and as part of our job we're allowed spend time (and some company money/resources) on certain types of community empowerment projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

He's right. Why do people care about having a big house? End of the day it provides the same cover as a smaller house. Car same thing. And lets be honest again when you dead whos going to give a crap you owned a big house down the road or drove 017 car nobody.
    What a load of cobblers. Your post is tinged with bitterness and assumptions about other people, your perspective is skewed.

Living in a 'big House' > Living in a cat box

Driving a less than reliable older car < Driving a reliable newer car
    Enjoy your life, less stress, and travel the world and go meet people nights out.

Yes, because everyone wants what you want.

• Advertisement

He's right. Why do people care about having a big house? End of the day it provides the same cover as a smaller house. Car same thing. And lets be honest again when you dead whos going to give a crap you owned a big house down the road or drove 017 car nobody. Enjoy your life, less stress, and travel the world and go meet people nights out.

You equate wanting more newer comfortable houses, cars etc. with just doing so for status. But while there is certainly an element of vulgarity in certain purchases, you can filter out the flash from the larger numbers who simply want newer and bigger for comfort, amenity, utility etc. Travelling the world and going out is fine, but so too is wanting a newer crossover car or a house with a big garden for kids.

Advertisement