Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to eat across the country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It always amazes me when I see thousands of GAA fans eating in Supermacs, Burgerking and McDonalds in Dublin on match day when there's a plethora of really really good, cheap (and not so cheap) restaurants in the city. And, I'm not being a food snob, I often see GAA fans in the restaurants I'm mentioning!

Seven Northside Dublin gems close to Croke Park.

KOH - epic Asian food, super service, decent kids menu (€5 for a huge kids noodle dish). I can't recommend this place enough. Particularly for big, mixed aged groups, caters for everyone.

Boojum - Mexican, top class Tex-Mex.

Brother Hubbards - Great food, but a bit hipsterish, slow service.

Thai Jasmine - Good sit down but usually quick, very reasonable, fresh food.

Thai Basil Noodle bar- Great fresh food, super quick, there's a bar or pay and go. Good kids chicken or beef and Veg noodles too.

Musashi - The best Sushi in the country with good kids choice (noodles, veg and chicken or beef) Very good value for what it is (super fressh raw fish in some cases).

FX Buckleys - Steak done well, not amazing value though.

Chapter One - Fine dining, quality over value and quantity... not suitable for kids, expansive but unique food for the discerning foodie. Book for next year, well worth it if you want to taste Irish produce cooked very very very well.

That's all well and good but could you park a 7610 with a twin axle silage trailer outside any of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dylan's Drimlish
    Olde Post Inn Cloverhill
    Fredricks Rathowen
    Grogans & Villager Glasson
    LoughBawn Killeshandra
    Fiddlers Carrickmacross
    Potin Still & Cryans Carrickonshannon
    IMO Ferricks has gone downhill in the last few months, their floor staff ain't the best and portion sizes have been noticeable reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's all well and good but could you park a 7610 with a twin axle silage trailer outside any of them!!

I had to google that. It looks military spec and you'd probably end up parking on top of our little city cars and bikes!

So, the answer is no, unless you're up on a protest.

But, if you're up for a match they're worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Dylan's Drimlish
    Olde Post Inn Cloverhill
    Fredricks Rathowen
    LoughBawn Killeshandra
    Fiddlers Carrickmacross

Jaysus I remember getting the shift in fiddlers about 20 yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

stanflt wrote: »
    Jaysus I remember getting the shift in fiddlers about 20 yrs ago

Go longer ya auld fart. He must have been locked (with added very low lighting) to shift you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Go longer ya auld fart. He must have been locked (with added very low lighting) to shift you :D

As I said you never get anything decent in the fiddlers😜

• Registered Users Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Who2 wrote: »
    As I said you never get anything decent in the fiddlers😜

Ya little beauty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Potin Still Carrickonshannon

Are you sure, I'd think twice before having a pint in there. Would have though they'd be the last place to serve food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Is Hard Knocks a bad judge of food?

What's left on his list?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    IMO Ferricks has gone downhill in the last few months, their floor staff ain't the best and portion sizes have been noticeable reduced.

Haven't been there in a while but would of frequented lots, sad to hear that, we always enjoyed

• Advertisement

riemann wrote: »
    Are you sure, I'd think twice before having a pint in there. Would have though they'd be the last place to serve food

Serve early in the day

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Is Hard Knocks a bad judge of food?

What's left on his list?:p

Or maybe they see us coming & roll out the red carpet treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Haven't been there in a while but would of frequented lots, sad to hear that, we always enjoyed
    The last two times that OH and I dined there we were very disappointed. Both occasions were within the last 2 months. Awful pity as its on our way home and we used to eat their regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

It always amazes me when I see thousands of GAA fans eating in Supermacs, Burgerking and McDonalds in Dublin on match day when there's a plethora of really really good, cheap (and not so cheap) restaurants in the city. And, I'm not being a food snob, I often see GAA fans in the restaurants I'm mentioning!

KOH - epic Asian food, super service, decent kids menu (€5 for a huge kids noodle dish). I can't recommend this place enough. Particularly for big, mixed aged groups, caters for everyone.

Thai Basil Noodle bar- Great fresh food, super quick, there's a bar or pay and go. Good kids chicken or beef and Veg noodles too.

Musashi - The best Sushi in the country with good kids choice (noodles, veg and chicken or beef) Very good value for what it is (super fressh raw fish in some cases).

Chapter One - Fine dining, quality over value and quantity... not suitable for kids, expansive but unique food for the discerning foodie. Book for next year, well worth it if you want to taste Irish produce cooked very very very well.

Can't beat an auld Booj up in the big shmoke!

Zaytoons is great too

Chapter one for a GAA dinner? You must be in the corporate box!

You clearly like your food so next time your up that way there is a Lebanese restaurant on Andrew street called The Ceder Tree. Been there for years
    Order one of the Mezze plates and you'll have enough food to last a week

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Dylan's Drimlish
    Olde Post Inn Cloverhill
    Fredricks Rathowen
    LoughBawn Killeshandra
    Fiddlers Carrickmacross

I was going to a match with a load of Mayo lads a few years back and we stopped off in Fredricks on the way up to Croke Park( so did probably every other Mayo fan place was packed). They were all were saying it was the best place to eat but to be honest didn't see what all the fuss was about. The food was OK nothing exceptional.

Fureys bar on the enfeild Kinegad road. If you get a fine day sitting out by the canal is lovely

The Hammlet Johnstownbridge

Farm to fork Athboy

The forge between Carnaross and Virginia (don't roll up in your mart gear though)

Dunderry lodge

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Boojum has to be one of the best places I've been too. Not the type of food I'd usually go for but I would recommend it to anyone who likes spicy food👌ðŸ»ðŸ‘ŒðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭visatorro

Fureys bar on the enfeild Kinegad road. If you get a fine day sitting out by the canal is lovely

Farm to fork Athboy

The forge between Carnaross and Virginia (don't roll up in your mart gear though)

Dunderry lodge

Heard fureys recommended alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Farm to fork Athboy

Dunderry lodge

I'd forgotten about The Hamlet. Always got good grub there.
    Be well worth tipping the few hundred yards off the N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Poitin stil on the way out of dublin or paddys on the old dublin road in kilkenny youd get a serious plate a fodder there

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    Heard fureys recommended alright.

They don't do food on Sundays for some reason though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

Great idea for a thread. If a crowd of farmers come out full the quantity must be OK anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farm to fork Athboy

Dunderry lodge

I heard the forge was closing.... a good spot, I second fureys too.

Brownes on the green in tyrrellspass, owned and run by an ex Dunbia manager. Nice food and atmosphere for a night out
    I got lovely food and plenty of it in the Ramble Inn last week, it's on the Ballymena to Antrim road.
    Lovely food in Wineport in Athlone too, but too expensive and you'd need to go for a Supermacs after to have enough.
    Very unusual now to get badly stung in restaurants nowadays.....it's so competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

north tipp.. sky farmer's (bobby reidy's ) newtown,
    thatched cottage ballycommon,
    whitehouse roscrea,

clare ... ennis mart, & knox's

just got a call for a run to waterford, leaving shortly.

any recommendations around kilmeadan area, need parking for jeep and box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Finns in Milltown-Galway is a brilliant restaurant.

Food service and potions are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Boojum has to be one of the best places I've been too. Not the type of food I'd usually go for but I would recommend it to anyone who likes spicy food��ðŸ»��ðŸ»

Boojum in galway also . im 33 and I felt like an OAP in it . student galore and the place was hoping even at 3pm

Serious feed and I wount be mad into tex mex . I was hungry and not a hope of me finishing the wrap thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Poitin stil on the way out of dublin or paddys on the old dublin road in kilkenny youd get a serious plate a fodder there

How's NZ going for ya ? Langton's in Kilkenny city is also a good spot. Mario's chipper out near the ring road. Arrons chipper in Kilsheelan village on the N24 is known over the country for their wraps and burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Dylan's Drimlish
    Olde Post Inn Cloverhill
    Fredricks Rathowen
    LoughBawn Killeshandra
    Fiddlers Carrickmacross

Dylans in Drumlish? Never heard or seen it, where is it? Dillons in Ballinamuck is superb too.
    Would agree with Cryans over the Landmark but if you're eating dinner you'd want to be hungry at 1pm for it, otherwise the place is wedged til 3 or so.
    Cox's in Dromod is my fav in that region though, the steak is to die for!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Boojum is excellent - tasty, filling burritos for about €7.50. 3 in Dublin and in Galway and Cork now. You don't have to love spicy Tex-Mex to love a burrito. It can be as mild or as spicy as you want.

The Oarsman in Carrick On Shannon serve top notch food.

Quality of the grub should take precedence over quantity.

There has been a revolution in eating out in Ireland in the past 20 years. Overcooked steak, burger and chips or dry chicken breast plus frozen chips just won't cut it anymore.

Another fan of Fureys. Lovely little wooden building in a great spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

McGanns in monivea is good as well, only on Sundays now I think tho, they do pizza other evenings alrite I think

Advertisement