Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal wedding from guest's perspective (Mod warning in 1st post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

ligerdub wrote: »
    What about not going to foreign stags? Any thoughts?

Only been on one foreign stag and it was to a place that we had gone on drinking weekends before years back so we were all really wanted to go for old times sake.

In general a stag somewhere in Ireland is preferable, somewhere that maybe most people haven't been before if possible. I don't like one day stags, need at least a good two if not 3 day session which was how all the stags were bar one in my group of friends but everyone is big into drinking so there would be no complaints about it or anything. I don't really like activities and prefer just to get started on the drinking early the second morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

....... wrote: »

Have to say, I've never seen anyone wear jeans and a GAA shirt to a wedding…

• Registered Users Posts: 30,403 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For a man it does, black suit, white shirt and dickie bow would be the definition of "black tie" for a man.

My parents were at a black tie wedding recently and looking at the pictures this is what every man was wearing. I actuality think it looks quite cool though I wouldn't do it for my own wedding as it is hassle for people.
    Isn't that the point of black tie?

I was always under the impression that a black tie wedding meant to wear a black pants, jacket, bow and white shirt. If the couple suggested a place to rent it.The option generally was a black suit. I never saw suggestions of purple or wine suits being given.
    I was under the impression it was so all the guy would look the same in the photo and it would stop people wearing beige, blue, shiny suits and had nothing to do with jeans and GAA jerseys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Only been on one foreign stag and it was to a place that we had gone on drinking weekends before years back so we were all really wanted to go for old times sake.

In general a stag somewhere in Ireland is preferable, somewhere that maybe most people haven't been before if possible. I don't like one day stags, need at least a good two if not 3 day session which was how all the stags were bar one in my group of friends but everyone is big into drinking so there would be no complaints about it or anything. I don't really like activities and prefer just to get started on the drinking early the second morning.

That's some people's worst nightmare for a stag! Just shows how everyone has a different opinion!

• Advertisement

Formal wear is standard and expected at every wedding so specifying black tie means imo that they want all male guests in a black tux basically.

I've been to a lot of weddings and never saw a single person ever turn up in anything even remotely like a Gaa jersey, I've seen one full day guest wear jeans but he wasn't Irish and I'd guess didn't understand that in Ireland anyway formal wear is expected at a wedding.

It was just what my understanding of a black tie wedding was. I never even thought a guy would turn up in a different colour other than black when the couple requested black tie.

PM if anybody wants me to attend your black tie wedding or event!

The people I know who had them wanted all the guy to look the same and be in black. So, I wouldn't go against them.

• Advertisement

Can ya not keep it in topic lads, lol!!!

Of course it's not the only way to dress formally, a suit be it blue, black, grey etc with a shirt of any colour and tie of any colour is dressing formally and the type of formal dress you expect to see at a wedding hence why it black tie is requested it's not a request to dress formally it's a request to wear a tux.

Anyway back on topic. I prefer when weddings are not organised on bank holiday weekends.

Of course it's not the only way to dress formally, a suit be it blue, black, grey etc with a shirt of any colour and tie of any colour is dressing formally and the type of formal dress you expect to see at a wedding hence why it black tie is requested it's not a request to dress formally it's a request to wear a tux.

This back and forth is ruining the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Keep the time that guests arrive at hotel and getting fed to a minimum. Hungry guests guzzling pints in the afternoon leads to messiness later on.

Dear God, just some fncking food in the afternoon...........

GingerLily wrote: »
    This back and forth is ruining the thread

It's called a discussion, what's the point in a discussion fourm if you cannot discuss things? Anyway that's the end of it anyway and things are back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I have been to a few weddings which were a disaster in terms of food quality and delay of getting dinner out. One wedding, the dinner didn't start until 7p.m as guests were still traveling to the venue and then this delayed the band starting which resulting in them only playing for an hour. Really took away the enjoyment of guests. Lots of hangry guests.

I was very conscious of this at my own wedding. Hopefully I made our day very enjoyable for our guests.

A few points which I've learnt from other weddings and tried to do at our wedding..

-Our ceremony and reception were at the same location. Our venue had a bar which guests had a drink at pre ceremony. Kept guests happy as they weren't waiting too long outside for me to arrive.

-Later starting time @2 which gave guests a chance to eat some lunch before travelling to location.

-Lots of canapés and a bang on starting time for dinner.

- I had a very bossy photographer who was amazing. She had all the photographs done in 20 minutes. Then we all went back to mingle with our guests.

- No speeches. Just a short thank you from the groom. I know this doesn't suit everyone but I've been to weddings where there was a lot of waffle or things that were sentimental to the bride and groom but not to the majority of the guests there. Maybe I'm just a heartless cow though :D

-Smaller numbers so less people to keep happy and made to feel they're genuinely wanted there.

I know all these things aren't always realistic but I think there are a lot of things within your control that you can do. Good food and keeping guests topped up with booze is essential. A good band too who can gauge the guests well. No point in having a Country Night at said venue when the guests just aren't into that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I know some folks were annoyed with the back and forth re black tie, but I think it's on topic. I would love to be invited to a black tie wedding as I really enjoy black tie events. We're not stating a dress code on our invites but we have a lot of friends who enjoy similar events and I and my bridesdude will be in black tie- although neither of us are wearing black jackets, well both be wearing coloured velvet dinner jackets. I'd say a good few guys will turn up in their tuxedos- because they own them and want to get the wear out of them.

But like is coming through on most sub topics that are being brought up- you can't please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

We're not stating a dress code on our invites but we have a lot of friends who enjoy similar events and I and my bridesdude will be in black tie- although neither of us are wearing black jackets, well both be wearing coloured velvet dinner jackets. I'd say a good few guys will turn up in their tuxedos- because they own them and want to get the wear out of them.

I would suggest either making it black tie or not....

I've a tux which I wear to black tie events. I've a few decent suits that I wear to regular weddings.

I wouldn't turn up to a black tie event in a suit and I wouldn't attend a regular wedding in a tux. I dress for the occasion.

I've seen people turn up in black tie at regular weddings and they look out of place.

A friend who wanted to do Black Tie as "it's for people who don't have suits - it makes it easier for them".

My reply was "how many of your friends don't own a suit?" The answer: NONE

Black Tie for a wedding, for me, is pretentious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I agree, to a point, but it really doesn't actually bother me. I'd prefer not to have to go out and buy new clothes- but I'll happily admit I have an interest in fashion and vintage/ formalwear so black tie would be easier for me than most other things!

We're not stating 'black tie' or anything like that, but people are already asking us what they should wear, what are other people wearing etc (the invites haven't even gone out yet, just the save the dates!) so we're being honest and telling them the kind of wedding it's going to be- which is relatively glam and vintage black-tie-esque. It suits myself and my partner, we go to black tie and vintage events probably 10+ times a year, with most of our guests being the same, so actually having a hippy-boho afternoon tea wedding would just be odd for us, people would wonder why we're not being authentic.

I think that riles Irish people up at weddings more than anything- the feeling that the couple are putting on "airs and graces" that they don't have, or aren't being honest about what they like. If your days are spent growing your own veg and you go camping every year and you're much more down to earth types, then hosting a black tie, highly formal and structured wedding makes zero sense to you, or likely to the folks you hang out with. People won't be comfortable, the couple won't actually be comfortable and then you get a wedding that feels weird and stiff and awkward and that you remember for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

What I can't stand at a wedding:
    Waiting for the bride to arrive more than 10 minutes....
    A huge journey to the venue... Like more than an hour....
    Dinner that starts at 7 when everyone is starving
    Black tie and all other pretentious crap chocolate fountains candy carts why?????
    Wedding favours.... Spend the money on something more useful better food better band another choice on the menu etc......
    Speeches that never end
    Bride speeches then bridesmaid speeches.... On top of groom best man and dad's.....
    Dinner served with courses too close together or too far apart
    Bad food or not enough of it
    Horrible battery acid wine I'd prefer a drink of choice
    Suckling pig for afters food I do not want to see that let alone eat it
    Music that is way too loud
    Ridiculous room prices to stay in a room for a few hours.....
    The couple who dance the first couple of dances and then leave the dance floor or the room even it just kills any atmosphere unless the crowd are good to keep it going and usually they're not.

Really I think simple is just better. I like to see the bride and the groom spend time with everyone together and be hosts for their wedding not just expect everyone to flap around them. Decent food and lots of it seconds even and decent music and dancing the night away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It suits myself and my partner, we go to black tie and vintage events probably 10+ times a year, with most of our guests being the same, so actually having a hippy-boho afternoon tea wedding would just be odd for us, people would wonder why we're not being authentic.

I think that riles Irish people up at weddings more than anything- the feeling that the couple are putting on "airs and graces" that they don't have, or aren't being honest about what they like. =.

That makes sense.

My issue I guess is when someone goes "we're doing Black Tie" and it's an extra cost / hassle for most people and they're not, let's say, Black Tie people.

I've heard of a three day wedding event in Italy (all guests flying from IReland) and the wife demanded it be black tie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

screamer wrote:
    The couple who dance the first couple of dances and then leave the dance floor or the room even it just kills any atmosphere unless the crowd are good to keep it going and usually they're not.

Was at a wedding once where couple did first dance and left the floor and stood at the bar with 99% of the crowd for the night, poor band were left playing to us (about 5 of us!) for hours! Felt bad for the band! Why pay for a band if you're gona do that? Stick on an ipad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

screamer wrote: »

I like to see the bride and the groom spend time with everyone together and be hosts for their wedding not just expect everyone to flap around them.

It's actually tricky enough to do both of these! You have to leave the dancefloor to go talk to people.

pwurple wrote: »
    It's actually tricky enough to do both of these! You have to leave the dancefloor to go talk to people.

Being physically impossible is no excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Black Tie for a wedding, for me, is pretentious.

Agreed. I was only invited to one black tie wedding. Black tie immediately put me off and I made up an excuse to get out of going. I heard it was utter rubbish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I know some folks were annoyed with the back and forth re black tie, but I think it's on topic. I would love to be invited to a black tie wedding as I really enjoy black tie events. We're not stating a dress code on our invites but we have a lot of friends who enjoy similar events and I and my bridesdude will be in black tie- although neither of us are wearing black jackets, well both be wearing coloured velvet dinner jackets. I'd say a good few guys will turn up in their tuxedos- because they own them and want to get the wear out of them.

But like is coming through on most sub topics that are being brought up- you can't please everyone.

Off topic but I REALLY hope you post pics of your wedding on the "photos of my wedding" thread. I love reading your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Addle wrote: »
    Of course it's up to the priest.
    Good luck finding a priest who'll leave out the mass.
    And fair enough. If couples choose a catholic ceremony, they shouldn't be so bothered by a catholic mass.

We are having the rite of marriage with out communion. When we spoke with our priest he offered it as an option and said that that was originally how a marriage was done, and then people just wanted to add length to the ceremony so they started to add in bits from a normal mass. I have been to a few weddings where this has been done.

Our priest was quite fine with us creating a mass with wanted once we respected certain elements, and that was for two sections he wanted hymns, everything else he didnt mind.

We are getting married in a little over two weeks, We are having 'first look' pics before hand, and most of the family pics before hand so we have to get less taken afterwards. The marriage is at 1.30 in a church which has a lot of special meaning for me, and we explained that in the mass booklet for guests, dont plan on being too late. Venue is 45 mins away with drinks and food, on a lake and with a walled garden, garden games, music etc. Dinner round 6.30, but speeches after starters and soup. Then the band and DJ in the evening.

Having a BBQ the next day in my dads house, no expectation on anyone to be there, most people dont even know about it yet.

We both like attending weddings and go to a few every year so have planed a day that we like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Back to the Hen element of weddings.

I was a bit more ahem "mature" than the bride was for this wedding, as was my sister and other mad aunties! We were muttering about the hens and not being up for all nighters in bars and clubs.....

Turns out the Bride's mother also said the same, so Bride did a two parter. One for herself and the young wans in Kilkenny, then another afternoon tea type thing in the Shelbourne for the "oldies".

It was perfect for everyone.

Advertisement