Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N24 - Cahir to Limerick Junction [design and planning underway]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The junction east of Bansha pretty much has to be a roundabout given how sharply the corridor turns here, but I think all of the others will be compact GSJs, pretty much like N22 Macroom.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Confirmed by TII at Oireachtas Committee that they intend to prioritise delivery of the Tipp Town bypass section of this scheme. The exact scope of this is unclear.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Thats a sensible approach. Worst bottle neck on the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Mod: Quote deleted

I'll say it before anybody else does. We don't have road tax in this country. We have a tax on motor vehicles and all of that tax flows into general exchequer funds and has nothing to do with road infrastructure.

This is not to say that the N24 shouldn't be progressed but equating one with the other is a false argument.

PS - Ireland is not the most expensive country in Europe.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

MOD:

No more motor tax debates. Not the place for it.

Whats the expected (approx) date for finalising the route?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Would it matter? They won't build this until the 2030s the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Norteño

I think you'll find it is the most expensive country in Europe, certainly in terms of costs of living and road tax.

Also....is it a tax?

YES.

Do you have to pay it before you can drive on the road?

YES.

ITS A ROAD TAX.

FACE 🌴.....

You can call it whatever you want, but the fact remains....it's a ROAD TAX.

I bet you're the sort of person who would go to the bathroom and have an "Armitage Shanks Interface Defecation Scenario", when the rest of us would just have a dump.

You try driving on the ROADS without paying this TAX and see how you get on...... 🤡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So VRT is a road tax too? It's a tax and you have to pay it before you can drive on the road.

Motor tax is not determined by the type of roads you drive on, how far you drive, etc. You can post as much Armitage Shanks Interface Defecation Scenario as you like but the fact remains that the tax is levied against the motor, not the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Latest word is that it will take another 18 months before being submitted to ABP . Tii expect it's about 4-5 years from starting construction at the best case scenario.

Proof please that this is the most expensive country in Europe in terms of cost of living and VRT (it's not a road tax as much as you like to call it that). Come on then, if it's so clear you should have no problems being able to point me to sources to back up your statement.

You try driving on a road without insurance and see how you get on. Is insurance a road tax as well then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This isn't a thread about taxes or the cost of living.

Back to the N24.

Whens the next announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Could you please read back the last half dozen posts please.

Head of roads for Tipperary county council confirms it's going to be a single carriageway. Bit surprised some of it isn't a dual .

That feels like a missed opportunity especially between Limerick and Tipperary. Looking at the traffic counts website they have a figure of 17,000 at the counter on the N24 at Ballysimon near Limerick while it drops to 6,000 at the counter beyond Tipperary. But even more than traffic counts the N24 is a significant cross-country link so you'd have assumed it would be built to a higher spec that just single carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Joke decision. Almost lost my son to that disaster of a road. Some of my earliest memories are of accidents on that road, used to see nightly accidents from my bedroom window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Seems strange with AADT's so high in some places

• Advertisement

On the new road at 2031 projected traffic numbers i believe are

Cahir to bansha 4400

Bansha to Tipperary town 4250

Tipperary to bohercrowe 9200

Bohercrowe to monard 9600

Surprised its not dual from the n74 junction to Monard or beyond that to the tie in .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

i thought this was planned as 2+2 always? When did this change?

It didn't change.

I must have misunderstood then because originally there was talk of a motorway, then that became 2+2. Can honestly never remember single carriageway. Even the two upgrades of the past two decades were 2+1 at piltown and cahir bypasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VeryOwl

I also thought this was going to be done as 2+2. Is there a particular reason they're cheaping out on this one?

The only talk of motorway was from the people who were trying to pose M8+N24 as an alternative route to N20. (That discussion has been done to death, but the summary is that it's not a good alternative, and even if it were done, N20 would still need to be rebuilt).

The route was never officially planned as motorway: traffic volumes need to be above 20,000 before that's considered, and this route is not near those figures.. Based on current and projected traffic, the choice was between Type 1 Single carriageway and Type 2 Dual ("2+2"). The 2+2 option won out for various reasons, but mainly 2+2 doesn't really cost much more than Type 1 Single when the build is offline, as this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

“The 2+2 option won out for various reasons, but mainly 2+2 doesn't really cost much more than Type 1 Single when the build is offline, as this is”

So are you saying this will be a 2+2 cross section based on something that was said by Tipp or just your preference?

Apologies, I should have said "should win out". It would be my preference (Type 1 DC is overkill here, Type 1 Single is not enough), but also the route was highlighted as an ideal candidate for 2+2 in presentations from TII. Sections of the existing route are already over the accepted limit for a Type 1 Single, but far off the threshold for Type 1 Double. That leaves 2+2 as the only logical choice. The other side of this route, east of Cahir is also strongly hinted as 2+2. There's also the pattern of upgrades on all but the lowest-traffic Primary routes being proceeded as 2+2.

There's a possibility of 2+2 at either end, and Type 1 Single between, but really, it wouldn't save much money, and would come with lower safety.

I know but it says here single carriageway won out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement