Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - House move not possible - cancellation fee

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Seems their contracts now specifically insist on charging you the minimum term regardless.

As of 18 August 2016 anyway

https://www.virginmedia.ie/pdf/terms/virgin-media-terms-aug16.pdf

I guess, rule of thumb then is don't go with Virgin Media if you're likely to be moving during the minimum term.

I'd generally assume that as the case with any provider. Signed up with Smart telecom years ago, told them before I signed up I might be moving within the minimum period and asked could I transfer the account to the new address without penalty. Just as well I got the confirmation that I could in writing because when I moved house a year later they tried to charge me a cancellation fee, eventually back down when I forwarded them their original mail saying otherwise.

But in general I wouldn't take it for granted you're allowed move the account unless it's explicitly stated - the contract is for a service for a minimum period at the current address. I'd imagine catching people out on that provides fairly significant revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

No matter what service you sign up to, read the cancellation policy.

Every company enforces cancellation terms. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

I have subscription to Irish times. Cancellation policy is simply send an email and subscription is cancelled with immediate effect at next payment date. The Times though insists on you ringing a "cancellation" dept and I would guess a hard sell to stay - hence I don't subscribe.

If you don't like policy, don't take the service, but the policy is very clear.

Advertisement