Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major delays on Cork line @ weekend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

IE 222 wrote: »
    Okay lads just use the bus if your not happy with someone not been there in the early hours of the morning to see how your getting on, at least the bus driver might say hi when your getting on and give you a full performance update.

This has nothing to do with the bus, it has to do with Irish Rail and that is what the topic is about.
    Your given a false view of things in Irish Rail and there is a lot more satisfied customers than the extreme complainers like you 2.

People have different views to each other.
    Not only do you expect every base to be covered 20hrs of the day you are milking and blown out of proportion problems created by outside agents such livestock on the line ect. On a list of 21 days 11 where due to outside interference whilst 4 were minor little issues that delayed an intercity service 10 - 15 mins and it doesn't state that the service terminated late either. Yes there was 4 major mechanical issues resulting in delays over 1 hour. Considering Irish Rail probably run over 500 services a day across the network I think the 4 during the month of July is a reasonable amount given the lack of resources, underinvestment and the rate of growth.

I already told you that I do not have a problem with the fact issues occur, some of which are outside of Irish Rail's control, I have a problem with how they deal with them and it appears that other posts on this thread do as well.
    Neither of you could provide me information of another Irish transport company that offers the level of service you expect throughout there whole operating day not could you any company in any sector and the reason been is it's non existent.

I answered your question, then you changed it. I can also cherry pick criteria and make it restricted and narrowed as possible as well so nobody can argue an example for anything, but the fact you consistently have had to change your criteria and narrow it down speaks pretty much volumes.
    I do agree a level of service is required and expected. I think Irish Rail provide an adequate level of service information which is offered during their busiest operating hours between 7am - 7pm.

Customer Care is not something you offer when you feel like it and don't when you don't. Irish Rail by your own admission on this thread and others is short of a few bob, they should be doing everything that they can to attract new customers and keep customers, this is what they are not doing right now.

The passengers who travel in the early hours will also be traveling home in evening peak most likely and the people who are traveling home in late hours are most likely traveling to work in evening peak. If they get a bad service in early or late hours they won't travel in peak either and there are a lot of shift workers in Dublin who will often depend on either very early or very late services who will be buying annual tickets, Irish Rail would be in an even poorer position without their revenue.
    So all in all I'd rather see the money coming in going towards operations rather than haven another pen pusher sitting at desk at 6am ready to send you a message on the off chance there is a problem.

And you are entitled to have that view, but I strongly disagree with it as would many of my colleagues who used to get shafted on a regular basis because Irish Rail couldn't care less about providing a public service to the public.

Unfortunately you've underlined that Irish Rail is not a customer focused company and couldn't care less about their customers and that is a very sad thing when they are supposed to be a company whose whole existence is to serve their customers something which they do so miserably.

If we had the kind of rail system and attitude towards customer service that has been seen in other countries I suspect Irish Rail would gain far more revenue than it would lose in extra costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

correct, but nobody stated otherwise on the thread. what was suggested was that ctc could be given access to the twitter and website from start of service until the customer services department opens, and then from close of the customer services department until service ends. this would be so that people could still be informed of delayed or canceled services so they can make alternative arrangements.
    either way the current system of "turn up and hope for the best and if there is an issue with the service shur tough" is not acceptable, so something is going to have to be sorted somehow, some way.

Run that one by health and safety and come back to us. Maybe the NTA should look after the out of hours parts. That's the same of getting air traffic controllers to run the DAAs gate information screen.

devnull wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the bus, it has to do with Irish Rail and that is what the topic is about.

People have different views to each other.

I already told you that I do not have a problem with the fact issues occur, some of which are outside of Irish Rail's control, I have a problem with how they deal with them and it appears that other posts on this thread do as well.

I answered your question, then you changed it. I can also cherry pick criteria and make it restricted and narrowed as possible as well so nobody can argue an example for anything, but the fact you consistently have had to change your criteria and narrow it down speaks pretty much volumes.

Customer Care is not something you offer when you feel like it and don't when you don't. Irish Rail by your own admission on this thread and others is short of a few bob, they should be doing everything that they can to attract new customers and keep customers, this is what they are not doing right now.

The passengers who travel in the early hours will also be traveling home in evening peak most likely and the people who are traveling home in late hours are most likely traveling to work in evening peak. If they get a bad service in early or late hours they won't travel in peak either and there are a lot of shift workers in Dublin who will often depend on either very early or very late services who will be buying annual tickets, Irish Rail would be in an even poorer position without their revenue.

And you are entitled to have that view, but I strongly disagree with it as would many of my colleagues who used to get shafted on a regular basis because Irish Rail couldn't care less about providing a public service to the public.

Unfortunately you've underlined that Irish Rail is not a customer focused company and couldn't care less about their customers and that is a very sad thing when they are supposed to be a company whose whole existence is to serve their customers something which they do so miserably.

If we had the kind of rail system and attitude towards customer service that has been seen in other countries I suspect Irish Rail would gain far more revenue than it would lose in extra costs.

It's a simple question that you seem to struggle with I changed it to try make it easier for you to answer as firstly you started telling me about a trip you went on in germany which to blunt I.dont really care about what they do or don't do. So I asked again for an Irish company meaning an Irish transport company which again you failed to answer or understand. So then I gave you the option of given me an example of any company Ireland that provides customer service thoughtout their daily operation and still keep given me this stupid response. So I'll ask the quest one last time and either give me an answer or say you can't provide an example.

The question,
    Can you give an example of an Irish transport operator that provides customer service during their whole day of operation, from beginning to end of services.

If you can't give me a transport company I'll settle for any company in any sector operating on the island of Ireland as I believe there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Okay lads just use the bus if your not happy with someone not been there in the early hours of the morning to see how your getting on,

why is it okay that i can be informed my train is going to be delayed or canceled after 7 am and before 7 pm yet before and after it's simply tough, i have to turn up to the station and hope for the best?
    at least the bus driver might say hi when your getting on and give you a full performance update.

i don't want a hi and a full performance update. i simply want to be able to find out my train is delayed, or isn't going to run, so i can make alternative arrangements.
    There's flaws in every company and not everyone is going to be pleased about the service it's not just an Irish Rail thing.

i agree, but when you don't even bother with basic things that other rail operators manage, that goes beyond flaws and not being happy with the service. it's simple incompetents.
    Your given a false view of things in Irish Rail and there is a lot more satisfied customers than the extreme complainers like you 2.

i'm afraid that isn't true. you only need to check the social media pages to see there are a huge number of dissatisfied users.
    Not only do you expect every base to be covered 20hrs of the day you are milking and blown out of proportion problems created by outside agents such livestock on the line ect.

i expect to be able to be informed if my train is going to be delayed or canceled whether it's the first service of the day or the last. why is it okay and not a problem to inform people of such after 7 am and before 7 pm but not before and after? i all ready stated i don't blame IE for the specific incidents you mentioned and neither did anyone else, but the mechanical issues, which there were a greater number then usual, are down to IE and they need to get on it.
    Neither of you could provide me information of another Irish transport company that offers the level of service you expect throughout there whole operating day not could you any company in any sector and the reason been is it's non existent.

because other irish companies aren't relevant. informing people their train will be canceled or will be delayed is existant in most rail operators around the world. rail operators are the best comparison.
    I do agree a level of service is required and expected. I think Irish Rail provide an adequate level of service information which is offered during their busiest operating hours between 7am - 7pm.

sometimes they do yes. it's rather hit and miss though. again i will ask, why is it only okay to inform people their train will be delayed or canceled between 7 am and 7 pm but before and after that, it's tough on you if you turn up and your train doesn't turn up?
    In terms of trains running late there is no magic wand here. People demand more frequency, new routes, bigger trains and quicker jouneries but realistically you can't add these without adding to the network so unless investment is going to made in infrastructure the risk of trains running late is going to increase as a tighter schedule is implemented. So all in all I'd rather see the money coming in going towards operations rather than haven another pen pusher sitting at desk at 6am ready to send you a message on the off chance there is a problem.

so, if someone goes to the station to catch an early morning or late night service and the service is canceled and they can't be informed about it, it's just tough? really?
    u wouldn't be paying a "pen pusher" to send me a message, you would be insuring either the normal customer mechanisms or the control centre would be able to inform people of delayed or canceled services so they can make alternative arrangements, from start to end of service. that's nothing to do with funding.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

correct, but nobody stated otherwise on the thread. what was suggested was that ctc could be given access to the twitter and website from start of service until the customer services department opens, and then from close of the customer services department until service ends. this would be so that people could still be informed of delayed or canceled services so they can make alternative arrangements.

This is what happens in the UK - normally everything comes from Tyrrell which powers everything else, normally they will have social media staff working during operational hours and outside of those they'll have the control room.

The one thing about the UK despite the flaws with the UK system is they have built some very good tools to keep customers informed of issues and a far more open culture when it comes to delays and problems, certainly there are things that need to change in the UK system but the likes of Journeycheck is far more a comprehensive tool than anything we have here.

Example: https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

That level of information and advice is something we can only dream of and a surprising amount of it is automated as well.

• Advertisement

why is it okay that i can be informed my train is going to be delayed or canceled after 7 am and before 7 pm yet before and after it's simply tough, i have to turn up to the station and hope for the best?

i don't want a hi and a full performance update. i simply want to be able to find out my train is delayed, or isn't going to run, so i can make alternative arrangements.

i agree, but when you don't even bother with basic things that other rail operators manage, that goes beyond flaws and not being happy with the service. it's simple incompetents.

i'm afraid that isn't true. you only need to check the social media pages to see there are a huge number of dissatisfied users.

i expect to be able to be informed if my train is going to be delayed or canceled whether it's the first service of the day or the last. why is it okay and not a problem to inform people of such after 7 am and before 7 pm but not before and after? i all ready stated i don't blame IE for the specific incidents you mentioned and neither did anyone else, but the mechanical issues, which there were a greater number then usual, are down to IE and they need to get on it.

because other irish companies aren't relevant. informing people their train will be canceled or will be delayed is existant in most rail operators around the world. rail operators are the best comparison.

sometimes they do yes. it's rather hit and miss though. again i will ask, why is it only okay to inform people their train will be delayed or canceled between 7 am and 7 pm but before and after that, it's tough on you if you turn up and your train doesn't turn up?

so, if someone goes to the station to catch an early morning or late night service and the service is canceled and they can't be informed about it, it's just tough? really?
    u wouldn't be paying a "pen pusher" to send me a message, you would be insuring either the normal customer mechanisms or the control centre would be able to inform people of delayed or canceled services so they can make alternative arrangements, from start to end of service. that's nothing to do with funding.

You will be inform one way or another. You said it yourself although notification wasn't given of a train hitting a landslide within the hour of it happen a replacement bus was organised which arrived to meet the trains departure time. To me and sure most other passengers them arranging that bus is far more important than haven them worry about getting messages across.

It's a simple question that you seem to struggle with I changed it to try make it easier for you to answer as firstly you started telling me about a trip you went on in germany which to blunt I.dont really care about what they do or don't do. So I asked again for an Irish company meaning an Irish transport company which again you failed to answer or understand.

No, you asked me a question and when I provided an answer to prove you wrong you changed the question, all of us can keep changing the question when someone gives them an answer to an earlier question they don't like.

If you want to keep comparing apples with oranges by all means please do so, but I'm going to keep comparing apples with apples, this topic is about rail operations and therefore I think about talking in relation to rail operations is keeping on-topic.

So then I gave you the option of given me an example of any company Ireland that provides customer service thoughtout their daily operation and still keep given me this stupid response. So I'll ask the quest one last time and either give me an answer or say you can't provide an example.[/quote]

Firstly I don't appreciate use of the word stupid, I don't agree with your views but I respect that you have a right to air them just like anyone else does on this forum. Secondly I have made my feelings known on this a number of times so it's clear we are not going to agree so we'll leave this point at that rather than going around and around in circles.

This is what happens in the UK - normally everything comes from Tyrrell which powers everything else, normally they will have social media staff working during operational hours and outside of those they'll have the control room.

The one thing about the UK despite the flaws with the UK system is they have built some very good tools to keep customers informed of issues and a far more open culture when it comes to delays and problems, certainly there are things that need to change in the UK system but the likes of Journeycheck is far more a comprehensive tool than anything we have here.

That level of information and advice is something we can only dream of and a surprising amount of it is automated as well.

Well then take your issue up with the NTA rather than bashing Irish Rail who do their best for the best part of the day.

indeed. we can only dream of something like that.
    it just makes no sense to me why it's fine to inform people their train will be delayed or canceled between 7 am and 7 pm but before and after it's tough on you if you turn up and there is no service.

Well then take your issue up with the NTA rather than bashing Irish Rail who do their best for the best part of the day.

Ahh, we've already blamed the customers, the government, the lack of funding, the passengers, the truck drivers, the unrealistic expectations, now we will shift blame to the NTA if all else fails, anything to avoid taking any responsibility for what is their own service. Blame culture at it's best.
    indeed. we can only dream of something like that.it just makes no sense to me why it's fine to inform people their train will be delayed or canceled between 7 am and 7 pm but before and after it's tough on you if you turn up and there is no service.

The thing is that on it's own is impressive enough, especially when you can set it for text and email alerts for when your route is effected, but it's just a small part of the overall system that consists of a back-end system that is linked to a 24 hour twitter, websites, staff mobile phones, conductors etc keeping everyone in the loop.

I believe the system behind it is called Tyrell
    http://www.nexusalpha.com/products/operational/

• Advertisement

You will be inform one way or another.

you may not be informed. plenty of incidents of such where there were no attempts to inform at all. no bus, no nothing.
    You said it yourself although notification wasn't given of a train hitting a landslide within the hour of it happen a replacement bus was organised which arrived to meet the trains departure time.

that was just luck. what if they hadn't have been able to source busses. quite possible given that that week had severe floods everywhere. you would have had people driving or getting lifts to the station left there with no information. the people organising the busses could also have written that there would be a transfer on the website.
    To me and sure most other passengers them arranging that bus is far more important than haven them worry about getting messages across.

both are important. people driving to the station means they are using fuel. fuel which costs money. if they were aware there would be a transfer and they didn't need to travel, they could have stayed at home. if they needed to go somewhere and they felt the bus transfer would delay them, they could have simply driven from their home rather then going all the way to the station to then find out there was an issue. you have no argument here and your excuses don't work considering plenty of rail operators around the world can provide such information. if you can organise a bus transfer you can write on a website.

what do you expect the NTA to do. IE run the trains day to day not the NTA. the NTA can set up a similar service like journey check but will IE play ball and provide the information? if they can't provide it because it's outside their supposed business hours dispite there still being services running then what chance do they have of providing it to a journey check type website?

Ahh, we've already blamed the customers, the government, the lack of funding, the passengers, the truck drivers, the unrealistic expectations, now we will shift blame to the NTA if all else fails, anything to avoid taking any responsibility for what is their own service. Blame culture at it's best.

The thing is that on it's own is impressive enough, especially when you can set it for text and email alerts for when your route is effected, but it's just a small part of the overall system that consists of a back-end system that is linked to a 24 hour twitter, websites, staff mobile phones, conductors etc keeping everyone in the loop.

I believe the system behind it is called Tyrell
    http://www.nexusalpha.com/products/operational/

Well the NTA run the real time which is what your complaining about and the journey planner.

Actually do Irish Rail not offer a live map on their website.

Still waiting for either of you to give me an example of a company that offers such a service in Ireland.

Well the NTA run the real time which is what your complaining about and the journey planner.

Tyrell is neither a journey planner or a real time system and this is also not the purposes of which JourneyCheck is used, it is far far more sophisticated than that.

It's a dedicated tool to manage train service disruption information and make information available as fast as possible to both rail staff and customers alike.

It provides
    - Instant messenger functions for staff
    - Full line updates in case of incidents
    - Train Cancellation information and advice of what customers should do and alternative routes
    - Replacement road transport information
    - Information on late running directly from signalling system
    - Train formation updates
    - Catering Service Updates
    - Station Facility Updates
    - Engineering work notices and advice.

All of which is streamed to station information boards, social media, website, customers and staff mobile phones and other relevant places, it means that customers can make a proper educated decision over what to do and the kind of disruption that is being experienced.

The JourneyAlert function is very helpful in that you can set it to your usual route and before leaving the office it will automatically update you with running information without you needing to seek it out first.

The irony is all of this is possible despite the fact that the infrastructure and the passenger sides of the rail operation are run by different companies, Irish Rail can't manage it even when they're all one company.
    -
    Actually do Irish Rail not offer a live map on their website.

Live maps on their own are not very useful, since they do not tell you what the disruption is, just where a train is.

Tyrell is neither a journey planner or a real time system and this is also not the purposes of which JourneyCheck is used, it is far far more sophisticated than that.

It's a dedicated tool to manage train service disruption information and make information available as fast as possible to both rail staff and customers alike.

It provides
    - Train Cancellation information and advice of what customers should do and alternative routes

All of which is streamed to station information boards, social media, website, customers and staff mobile phones and other relevant places, it means that customers can make a proper educated decision over what to do and the kind of disruption that is being experienced.

The JourneyAlert function is very helpful in that you can set it to your usual route and before leaving the office it will automatically update you with running information without you needing to seek it out first.

The irony is all of this is possible despite the fact that the infrastructure and the passenger sides of the rail operation are run by different companies, Irish Rail can't manage it even when they're all one company.
    -

Live maps on their own are not very useful, since they do not tell you what the disruption is, just where a train is.

Well surely at 6am standing on the platform you just want the train to arrive what need a full detailed report for I don't understand. I think the live map will do for most at 6am

Well surely at 6am standing on the platform you just want the train to arrive what need a full detailed report for I don't understand.

My point is the gulf.

Irish Rail provide nothing, they provide a lot more.
    I think the live map will do for most at 6am

A map doesn't tell you there is a tree on the line, a signalling failure or the train has broken down, especially when it's the first train of the day and it doesn't appear on the map until it leaves the first station which in my case was a few minutes before it arrived at mine....

It provides

-

Yeah it's definitely the NTA you need to take your complaint up with If that's the level of service your expecting 24/7. Their in charge of all of that. Actually did they not take responsibility from Irish Rail.

Yeah it's definitely the NTA you need to take your complaint up with If that's the level of service your expecting 24/7. Their in charge of all of that. Actually did they not take responsibility from Irish Rail.

It's control room software, Irish Rail run the control room.....

All - I'm sure you are aware we have an on-going problem with a serial re-reg troll.

Please can we not feed them with responses because it will encourage them all the more to disrupt this and other threads here on Commuting and Transport.

It's control room software, Irish Rail run the control room.....

But the NTA need to decide if irish rail should be required to operate this during the hours you want.

Any update on the example of someone else doing this in Ireland.

• Advertisement

But the NTA need to decide if irish rail should be required to operate this during the hours you want.

Because you well know that it's not as simple as the NTA clicking their fingers and Irish Rail simply doing whatever they ask them to no questions asked, what has happened with the 10 minute DART situation tells you all you need to know about that because of issues with training new drivers.

I'm still talking about train companies so that is what the topic is about so I'm going to continue to compare one train company but you decided that you want to continue to compare apples with oranges, that is your choice.

I think most people who read this thread see the title is related to Irish Rail and they expect to see discussion about Irish Rail here, not drifting off into things that are totally unrelated in an attempt to take the discussion away to the fact that Irish Rail's customer focus is far below that which is enjoyed by citizens of other countries who use a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

Dublin Bus operate their twitter account from 7am-7pm Mon-Sat but do update it outside of this if they need to.

Because you well know that it's not as simple as the NTA clicking their fingers and Irish Rail simply doing whatever they ask them to no questions asked, what has happened with the 10 minute DART situation tells you all you need to know about that because of issues with training new drivers.

I'm still talking about train companies so that is what the topic is about so I'm going to continue to compare one train company but you decided that you want to continue to compare apples with oranges, that is your choice.

I think most people who read this thread see the title is related to Irish Rail and they expect to see discussion about Irish Rail here, not drifting off into things that are totally unrelated in an attempt to take the discussion away to the fact that Irish Rail's customer focus is far below that which is enjoyed by citizens of other countries who use a train.

Now your just stirring up false information as that's not the sole reason for the 10 min Dart delay. The NTA are in control of that information and set the requirements of service level and you in particular are quite happy to throw that fact out when it suits you.

It was you that brought up about German, UK and other train services from across the EU. I've purely stated over and over again this is Irish Rail I'm talking about and what I'm trying to prove to you is that here in Ireland there is NO company offering the level of customer service you are expecting Irish Rail to provide you with neither transport, public or private sector in any industry. Their online Live map is a good source of information to tell you where your train is but you refuse to use that as it's not detailed enough to tell you the reason why there maybe a delay other than the fact it's telling you if your train is delayed or not. So my point is there is just no pleasing people like you and your better off finding alternative travel as the service doesn't meet your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IE 222

IE are well below par when it emos to communication with customers (some might say staff as well!). If you have a smart phone download National Rail app and just look how detailed live train data is for customers and that is when there is easily around 20 different operations yet they manage to:
    * - Detailed departure times
    * - State reason for delays
    * - Platform data
    * - Cancellations even if in middle of a service
    * - Alert system to specific service changes

In the next few years they have the prefect opportunity to address it and while the NTA might have a role. There will be a new control center, signalling system (more longer term).

All stations on the network should have a PIS and PA linked to control room. Some lines have them but they are not connected because there is no room in Connolly today.

All trains should be providing real time data (I know there is some system in test) and full details of any disruption.

It's mad to think they have a fleet of 22000 trains with 10 years which have GPS on board and Portlaoise Depot can pin point there locations at all times yet passenger data on scheduled services is very hit and miss depending on the route.

A minimum of one person on duty 24/7 to outline any disruption to IE staff and the public via social media and live train info is not a big ask.

Now your just stirring up false information as that's not the sole reason for the 10 min Dart delay.

The drivers refuse to train other drivers as it currently stands, that has been mentioned in a number of sources and also in the media, are you saying that all these sources are wrong and giving incorrect information.

If so if you could show us where else in a reputable source it says there is another reason behind it, I would really be interested to read it.
    I[t was you that brought up about German, UK and other train services from across the EU. I've purely stated over and over again this is Irish Rail I'm talking about and what I'm trying to prove to you is that here in Ireland there is NO company offering the level of customer service you are expecting Irish Rail to provide you with neither transport, public or private sector in any industry.

This forum is about commuting and transport and this topic is about Rail services, what happens in other industries is not related to rail systems one bit because different industries have different requirements, characteristics and impact on society as a whole, transport has much more if an impact on peoples daily lives than many other industries for example.

We should not just be looking from within Ireland for how to run our public services, we should be looking at examples from across Europe and beyond to make things the best they can be. All your illustrating is that Ireland has a lot to learn when it comes to public service in Ireland and delivering for said public.

I am not so naive that I think the problems only exist in Irish Rail, it is something that is endemic across much of the public and semi state sector in Ireland who seem to believe that the public and the customers are something they have to run their service in despite of, not for.
    Their online Live map is a good source of information to tell you where your train is but you refuse to use that as it's not detailed enough to tell you the reason why there maybe a delay other than the fact it's telling you if your train is delayed or not.

So if I'm waiting at Portmarnock in the morning what use is a map to me when the train only appears on the map 3 minutes earlier because it's the first run of the day from Malahide and I'm on the first stop. It's no use to me whatsoever because it doesn't tell me anything about how a train service is running or whether I should wait at the station, travel to the station or just drive.

That is before you even take into account the bug in the system that shows up ghost trains that when a train is not logged into the system it will show the train in the position of where it would be if it was operating to timetable since it presumes that the train is not running because of defective GPS. This happened a number of times as well.
    But my point is there is just no pleasing people like you and your better off finding alternative travel as the service doesn't meet your requirements.

Indeed, all of the other companies in Europe are just spending time and money on such systems to please their customers just for the fun of it, not because it has any benefit to their revenue and passenger numbers. They clearly realised that pleasing people like me was worthwhile.

As I said before, you can't moan on one hand Irish Rail has no money whilst at the same time not trying to even retain or attract new customers, if I ran my department in companies I worked for like you would run yours, we would be in serious trouble financially as well.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    IE 222

IE are well below par when it emos to communication with customers (some might say staff as well!). If you have a smart phone download National Rail app and just look how detailed live train data is for customers and that is when there is easily around 20 different operations yet they manage to:
    * - Detailed departure times
    * - State reason for delays
    * - Platform data
    * - Cancellations even if in middle of a service
    * - Alert system to specific service changes

In the next few years they have the prefect opportunity to address it and while the NTA might have a role. There will be a new control center, signalling system (more longer term).

All stations on the network should have a PIS and PA linked to control room. Some lines have them but they are not connected because there is no room in Connolly today.

All trains should be providing real time data (I know there is some system in test) and full details of any disruption.

It's mad to think they have a fleet of 22000 trains with 10 years which have GPS on board and Portlaoise Depot can pin point there locations at all times yet passenger data on scheduled services is very hit and miss depending on the route.

A minimum of one person on duty 24/7 to outline any disruption to IE staff and the public via social media and live train info is not a big ask.

I'm not say they are perfect and there is always room for improvement but I disagree there information service is non existent outside of them hours as others suggest.

The whole point of this topic was that what you suggest should be in place an linking up all the technology that's already there requires investment. Which is short coming and personally I believe there is a lot more important thing's to be done before given part of a small budget over to this.

The drivers refuse to train other drivers as it currently stands, that has been mentioned in a number of sources and also in the media, are you saying that all these sources are wrong and giving incorrect information.

If so if you could show us where else in a reputable source it says there is another reason behind it, I would really be interested to read it.

This forum is about commuting and transport and this topic is about Rail services, what happens in other industries is not related to rail systems one bit because different industries have different requirements, characteristics and impact on society as a whole, transport has much more if an impact on peoples daily lives than many other industries for example.

We should not just be looking from within Ireland for how to run our public services, we should be looking at examples from across Europe and beyond to make things the best they can be. All your illustrating is that Ireland has a lot to learn when it comes to public service in Ireland and delivering for said public.

I am not so naive that I think the problems only exist in Irish Rail, it is something that is endemic across much of the public and semi state sector in Ireland who seem to believe that the public and the customers are something they have to run their service in despite of, not for.

So if I'm waiting at Portmarnock in the morning what use is a map to me when the train only appears on the map 3 minutes earlier because it's the first run of the day from Malahide and I'm on the first stop. It's no use to me whatsoever because it doesn't tell me anything about how a train service is running or whether I should wait at the station, travel to the station or just drive.

That is before you even take into account the bug in the system that shows up ghost trains that when a train is not logged into the system it will show the train in the position of where it would be if it was operating to timetable since it presumes that the train is not running because of defective GPS. This happened a number of times as well.

Indeed, all of the other companies in Europe are just spending time and money on such systems to please their customers just for the fun of it, not because it has any benefit to their revenue and passenger numbers. They clearly realised that pleasing people like me was worthwhile.

As I said before, you can't moan on one hand Irish Rail has no money whilst at the same time not trying to even retain or attract new customers, if I ran my department in companies I worked for like you would run yours, we would be in serious trouble financially as well.

No that is not what I said. What I said there is more things delaying the implementation of the 10 min Dart than just the training issues.

No that is not what I said. What I said there is more things delaying the implementation of the 10 min Dart than just the training issues.

So I'm asking you, what are they and can you give me a link with more info?

So I'm asking you, what are they and can you give me a link with more info?

When you provide an answer to my question ill be as kindly to answer yours

• Advertisement

or IE could do it off their own backs as good will toards their users. like they are supposed to do, seeing as they do it for some of the day.
    they don't need to employ anyone or pay anything extra to do it.

yes, plenty of rail operators around the world.
    Their online Live map is a good source of information to tell you where your train is but you refuse to use that as it's not detailed enough to tell you the reason why there maybe a delay other than the fact it's telling you if your train is delayed or not.

but it doesn't tell you if it's delayed or canceled. that's all we want to know. but the company won't provide that information before 7 am and after 7 pm. if you turn up to the station it's pot luck if you will even get any clues there is an issue.

Advertisement