Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major delays on Cork line @ weekend?

Options
  • 26-06-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Looks like an issue out of Limerick on Sat, with a significant issue on Cork- Dublin service late afternoon Sunday, delaying passengers to midnight.
    Any details?
    Twitter indicates also significant communication issue to passengers during the delay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 16:20 Cork-Dublin train failed between Mallow and Charleville, which subsequently required single line working apparently.

While keeping people informed is clearly important, and there's really no excuse for not making regular announcements, even to say that there isn't any more updated information, many twitter users expect instant information, when in cases like this (where a train fails), the answer can often be "how long is a piece of string".

Not a good day for the railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Driver was most likely out of the cab and down trackside trying to make repairs or diagnose issues via phone with CME maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Passengers who transferred from the failed train arrived into Dublin at 22.54.

bazza1 wrote: »
    Driver was most likely out of the cab and down trackside trying to make repairs or diagnose issues via phone with CME maintenance.

That's why Cork trains have a host......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Just curious - I thought IE newer trains had the ability for CTC to make direct on board announcements without relying on the drivers?
    Check out IE twitter account to see all the complaints - every single one of them about the communication breakdown, very little reference to the actual failures and delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I was on that failed train and IE held the last Heuston to Galway train 25 for me at Portarlington so I could get home. I have no complaints. The Train host did a wonderful job and passengers were given forms to have their fare refunded for the journey as well. We were adequatly informed whenever we asked for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As I said above - I tend to take Twitter with a degree of caution in situations like this - some people have unrealistic expectations, expecting instant information along with a guaranteed updated time of arrival, when frankly in cases like a failed train that isn't going to be possible with any degree of certainty until they get it moving again.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/iarnrod-eireann-apologise-for-seven-hour-train-journey-from-cork-to-dublin-453420.html
    The power fault immobilised the train and also affected power systems on board, including lighting and air conditioning

Looking back at major failures, a set failure while operating to Limerick years ago looks like the most similar case.

Not sure but expect the batteries can't run air con even if greatly reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Was it a ICR or Mk4 that failed ?

Was it a ICR or Mk4 that failed ?

ICR.

• Advertisement

See 9.20 Cork to Heuston failed at Newbridge today. Declared a failure and all passengers offloaded for other trains. At least it failed at a station I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Rashers72 wrote: »
    See 9.20 Cork to Heuston failed at Newbridge today. Declared a failure and all passengers offloaded for other trains. At least it failed at a station I suppose.

not a good couple of days for the railway, by the looks of it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

8th July: 15:00hrs Cork Heuston departed Charleville 2hrs 45mins late. 16:00 & 17:00 combined is 80mins & 40mins late respectively. 18:20 Cork Heuston 45mins late due to ongoing service disruption
    7th July (although I could be wrong): 16:20 Cork Heuston 50mins late due to mechanical issues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I sure there will be one of the usual crew along soon to explain why there's no problems on CIE and will explain the technical reasons why these sort of things happen.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I sure there will be one of the usual crew along soon to explain why there's no problems on CIE and will explain the technical reasons why these sort of things happen.

Nothibg to explain, IE will admit the Mark IV fleet has been poor lately particularly locomotives just shutting down.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Nothibg to explain, IE will admit the Mark IV fleet has been poor lately particularly locomotives just shutting down.

And whose fault might that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Management spending too much time on playing trains and painting up locomotives to keep people happy? Seriously though this is a distraction of management and engineering resources and serves to provide no operational or financial benefit

No idea but I'm sure it's not a single issue. They are worked pretty hard.

No idea but I'm sure it's not a single issue. They are worked pretty hard.

I was about to reply to your original post re: 20 operational 201 locos but you've edited it. What happened to the other 14 highly expensive locos?

Is this all part of a plan to replace the Mk4s with ICRs?

I was about to reply to your original post re: 20 operational 201 locos but you've edited it. What happened to the other 14 highly expensive locos?

Is this all part of a plan to replace the Mk4s with ICRs?

There is 22 of 24 in service, one damaged by fire (returning) and another damaged by an accident (prob return as well). The other 10 are not push/pull capable so you cannot run them on Cork/Belfast routes without some work which costs money.

You might see one or two older ones used for the new engines in the coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no reason why those 9 couldn't have remained in operation, or be brought back into operation, there is still work for them.
    they could be working on freight instead of using only the pushpull capible ones, meaning the rest wouldn't need to be worked as hard meaning less failure and a more reliable service.
    but i suppose that would be logical so forget it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

no reason why those 9 couldn't have remained in operation, or be brought back into operation, there is still work for them.
    they could be working on freight instead of using only the pushpull capible ones, meaning the rest wouldn't need to be worked as hard meaning less failure and a more reliable service.
    but i suppose that would be logical so forget it.

In theory yes but a lot of Ballina is still worked by 071's, 201's tend to do a little more in the winter but you won't have Belmond for example so it's not really an issue.

It's likely if longer freight start operating then chances are they could have to look at it again but suspect getting 225 and 230 back will be first job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

How many rotations does a loco do before been swapped. Also is it swapped just for refuelling or to give it a rest.

Can mark4s operate without the driving trailer or would they require mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Mk4 set must have a the dining car or DVT in consist to operate with passengers

Without a DVT you have no power unless you run over the 201 HEP which really isn't a good plan

IE 222 wrote: »
    How many rotations does a loco do before been swapped. Also is it swapped just for refuelling or to give it a rest.

Can mark4s operate without the driving trailer or would they require mods.

They get checked nightly for faults/fuel. Don't know exact times they are swapped but probably 10-14 days and they get a more detailed exam.

Mark4 need the driving trailer to power on board equipment and I could be wrong but think if a locomotive is attached to a DVT it interfere's with the door systems.

I forgot about the DVT been a "genny" as well. Guess that rules out any alternative from running push/pull with current stock.

Didn't realise they spent so long on a set before been swapped.

How many trips can be made without refuelling.

IE 222 wrote: »
    I forgot about the DVT been a "genny" as well. Guess that rules out any alternative from running push/pull with current stock.

Didn't realise they spent so long on a set before been swapped.

How many trips can be made without refuelling.

GM228 will likely know the exact time they go for a detailed examination.

Fuel capacity is 4,500 liters, would expect they are topped up daily.

GM228 will likely know the exact time they go for a detailed examination.

Fuel capacity is 4,500 liters, would expect they are topped up daily.

I'm not doubting you just for some reason would of thought every 3 or 4 days would require a swap.

If lasting that long I don't see the need for needing the stored 201s in service as well. There is at least 12 or more 071s available as well.

I knew the capacity but would like to know how many Dub - Cork trips that gives.

Has the the introduction of the EGVs on the enterprise been much of a success. Obviously it's delivered some results as their still in use but has it made major benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Shamrock776

Long delays moved from Cork to Waterford route today, according to their twitter:

07.10 Waterford/Heuston failed between Athy and Kildare and arrived in Heuston 140 minutes late and the 07.50 Waterford/Heuston arrived 90 minutes late.

• Advertisement

To be fair to IE, Waterford services usually escape most major disruption and rarely experience major train faults such as the above.

Strangely all the major failures have been on the 07.10 service over the last few years. Only the second train failure this year so pretty good record and again both 07.10.

Advertisement