Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did An Post get my mobile number??

Options
  • 23-06-2017 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm expecting a delivery from Amazon today, and I've just received a txt msj from "AN POST" confirming it will arrive today.

I've never put my mobile number on my Amazon account, neither have I given it to An Post. I did ask for delivery confirmation by email from Track'n'Trace.

When the postman arrives, I'll ask him. Meanwhile, I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, or does anyone know anything about it?

Seems rather strange to me, and I'm certain I've never shared my number willingly with either of them....
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

I'm expecting a delivery from Amazon today, and I've just received a txt msj from "AN POST" confirming it will arrive today.

I've never put my mobile number on my Amazon account, neither have I given it to An Post. I did ask for delivery confirmation by email from Track'n'Trace.

When the postman arrives, I'll ask him. Meanwhile, I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, or does anyone know anything about it?

Seems rather strange to me, and I'm certain I've never shared my number willingly with either of them....
    :mad:

Do you use the app on a mobile or do you use the website on a computer?
    Also how do you log into your amazon account

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Grainne2012

I use the website on my PC only, logging in through my email address, with no mobile registered, and no apps on my phone.
    Postman just arrived, I asked him how he got the number, he tells me its a new service from Monday of this week and the mobile number for the txt must have come from Amazon. When I told him Amazon don't have my number he was rather uncomfortable. He said he just couldn't tell me how they have it.
    Then he told me it was so they could call me to confirm my location. When I pointed out the Eircode I use in my address he said "Hmm, we don't actually use that".
    Wow.
    Really making me curious how they have this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Website on my PC only, no apps on my phone.
    Postman just arrived, I asked him how he got the number, he tells me its a new service from Monday of this week and the mobile number for the txt must have come from Amazon. When I told him Amazon don't have my number he was rather uncomfortable. Then he told me it was so they could call me to confirm my location. When I pointed out the Eircode I use in my address he said "Hmm, we don't actually use that".
    Wow.
    Really making me curious how they have this!

How would the postman know how a number gets on a parcel? He/she is purely delivering the item.

It probably somewhere on your amazon account and as they dispatch the item, it is the information THEY provide that an post go on.

and no, the local delivery system does not use eircode unless they don't know where an address is. Eircode is not a postal delivery system - it is a locator system useable by many services.

It's nowhere on my Amazon account. I've never registered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It's nowhere on my Amazon account. I've never registered it.

You must have registered it with one or both of them at some point Grainne2012, how else would they have gotten it?

My number is on my Amazon account. I don't actually recall registering it but clearly I did and I am adult enough to take responsibility for it.

You can easily edit your account and remove any details you don't want them to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Visit https://www.amazon.co.uk/a/addresses. Does your mobile show up under any of those addresses?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Do Amazon not require a number when you register an address? I seem to remember always having to put it down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Well they didn't guess it. You've given it to them somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Do Amazon not require a number when you register an address? I seem to remember always having to put it down

Now that you say it I think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, just tried to add an address to Amazon account out of interest and contact number is mandatory

• Advertisement

Thanks for the address book link, but no, my mobile number isn't there, only a filler I'd entered. (a string of zeros)

Just to be clear, I'm not having a pop at my postman here, he's lovely... I'm simply wondering how it is that my mobile number is somehow associated with either my postal address or my email address.

Meanwhile, I'll ask Customer Services at both, so let's see what they come up with.
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Are you sure the text and package are connected? Did the text have an order number? It could just be a spam text and completely coincidental. In fact, this is how spam works. Did the text have a link or ask you to login?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Do you not need to put in a mobile number when you enter the credit card details?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If its definitely not on your amazon account maybe through the credit card payment somehow.

The An Post txt was official, as the postman asked me if I'd got it early this morning. It includes a number to call if you're not going to be home, so they can re-arrange delivery with you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Did you use paypal? Or visa? (Verified by visa might give your phone number to amazon who would then pass it to an post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

OK, so what exactly is the problem? Sounds like a very useful service. They also have your name and address, again to provide a very useful service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

qrx wrote: »
    OK, so what exactly is the problem? Sounds like a very useful service. They also have your name and address, again to provide a very useful service.

Its not a very useful service, it doesn't give you a time, or tell you who it is coming from. Quite mystified myself now, I got the text this morning , presuming my number was from Amazon.

Just checked, and while it is not on my account, it is on my delivery address, so mystery solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

whiterebel wrote:
    Its not a very useful service, it doesn't give you a time, or tell you who it is coming from. Quite mystified myself now, I got the text this morning , presuming my number was from Amazon.

It's a new service from an post, when you get the text you are supposed to be sent a number to contact the postman to re-arrange delivery. You can ask the postman to leave it in a safe location or have it delivered to a neighbour or your place of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

whiterebel wrote: »

Just checked, and while it is not on my account, it is on my delivery address, so mystery solved.

It's a great idea. I can now let them know if I won't be home at the usual post delivery time or can wait for the postman before heading out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its not a very useful service, it doesn't give you a time, or tell you who it is coming from. .

Did the sender not appear as 'AnPost' ?

Does for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's Amazon that are responsible for this.
    They want parcels delivered if at all possible and so extra measures have been added lately.
    Last thing they want is your parcel not being delivered because you were out and could not be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

EDit.
    just read problem solved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There is obviously a conspiracy here and evidence of a dark state in the republic in operation which is in cahoots with big business.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Davy wrote: »
    Did the sender not appear as 'AnPost' ?

Does for me.

Who is sending the parcel, i.e. Amazon.

It's a great idea. I can now let them know if I won't be home at the usual post delivery time or can wait for the postman before heading out.

The usual time for our post is somewhere between 8.30am and 3pm. If they gave you an timeframe for delivery, the way DPD do, it would be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The usual time for our post is somewhere between 8.30am and 3pm. If they gave you an timeframe for delivery, the way DPD do, it would be useful.

Our postman is between 9.30 and 10.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I received a similar message from An Post as well. I was expecting something from Amazon. I knew I wouldn't be in and must have rang the number in the sms about 20 times throughout the day. No answer and no call back.
    Amazon let me know the package was out for delivery on the day via email, so the An Post service is completely useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

jeez do ye want the parcel delivered or not?its almost as if they are fighting having it delivered.

like the saying goes

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time

• Advertisement

jeez do ye want the parcel delivered or not?its almost as if they are fighting having it delivered.

like the saying goes

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time

It doesn't make any difference to it getting it delivered, thats the point. Its a typical An Post/Semi State body, takes an idea that works for other companies, and then implements half of it, usually the wrong half. If they gave you an approximate time, you could then be present, or re-arrange.

Advertisement