Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Vincent - Dublin - Oct 20th

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Superb performance last night. The people going tonight are in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pedrozeno

Found the whole thing a bit underwhelming to be honest. Thought it was really lacking without the band. Atmosphere was pretty dead from where I was in the circle which probably didn't help.

The new albums great so it was a shame for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭mosstin

pedrozeno wrote: »
    Found the whole thing a bit underwhelming to be honest. Thought it was really lacking without the band. Atmosphere was pretty dead from where I was in the circle which probably didn't help.

The new albums great so it was a shame for me!

Dunno, I was in the Circle and people seemed to love it. I found her riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sort of in two minds about the whole experience. Mostly feel positive about it.

On one hand St. Vincent herself gave a great performance. It's hard to be the only one on stage all night - well apart from the balaclavad guy or guys who kept the guitars coming thick and fast - and have all that attention focused on you alone for the entire performance. She is a pretty mesmerizing performer, whenever she was cutting loose with the guitar it was glorious.

But, I did find myself drifting out of the gig at times. I felt that the novelty wore off a bit, particularly around halfway through the first half. I couldn't help but feel a little bored in places during some of the songs. While it was cool to see her and her alone, I sort of missed the spontaneity of a band, occasionally. The atmosphere in the crowd around where I was standing was pretty subdued, people were into it, but largely standing still, the only song that really got people moving was Birth in Reverse.

As much as I may have whined there I will say that I thought the second half of the show worked really well. It all seemed to work a little better, with the inclusion of the video screen and the platform. I thought the new songs sounded great, Los Ageless in particular stood out: she shredded it up. Still can't warm to New York though.

So, yeah: I found it a little underwhelming in places and then brilliant in others. I missed the realness of having a band at times, but enjoyed the focused theatricality at other times. I didn't come out of the building feeling like I'd been rocked to my very core, but I appreciate that she was trying to do something a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Like the previous poster I wasn't overly keen on the first section. Performance wise it was really impressive with a definite Stop Making Sense feel but I didn't feel the backing track setup really did the likes of Cruel or The Strangers justice. I think having heard those songs with a full band previously left them feeling somewhat lacking for me in these versions.

However, I thought the second half was a triumph from start to finish. For all the talk of art pop and concepts, I think the new album is by far her most personal and affecting record and this really came across in the live setting. It was really emotional in places and I felt the format of the show suited the new songs perfectly. It was brave, powerful, at times heartbreaking and a gig that I'll be thinking about for a long time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Anyone catch her directorial debut/support slot? Was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Birthday Party. I thought it was funny enough. Not great but entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ngunners

I thought her framing and visual sense were really strong (either building up tension or creating a humorous image) but, strangely enough, it was her use of sound that was slightly off. She definitely has potential as a director though. I could see her making an early-almodovaresque feature with the right script. It's worth checking out if you get the chance.

As for the concert itself, I agree with other posters who said that the solo approach worked brilliantly for the new material but was a bit underwhelming for some older songs.

Fair play to her for having the guts to finish a gig with a full album's worth of new material. Not many artists would dare to do that.

While I realise it probably wouldn't have been financially feasible, I would have liked to see her start with the new album (solo) and finish with the older stuff with a full band.

Having said that, the final song and the repeating 'it's not the end', accompanied by the great visuals of annie losing her ****, was a powerful gut punch and a great way to end the show (albeit a bit of a downer).

Was nobody from here at the second night then?

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Was nobody from here at the second night then?

Yeah, I was.

The more I listen to the new album, the more I love it.

Advertisement