Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Vincent - Dublin - Oct 20th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tickets got, thank fook. I wonder will we have the new album by the time she comes around?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Arghus wrote: »
    Tickets got, thank fook. I wonder will we have the new album by the time she comes around?

I think it's a safe bet that we will. The first single has just been released.

https://youtu.be/n48vQgfXygc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

2nd date added for Saturday 21st October.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180052DA90BD2165

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Looking and sounding great on the Jools show tonite.

New material is a bit different from what I expected, though granted there's only a couple of tracks out so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

New album out today! On the first listen now really liking it. Masseduction is prince-esque and sugarboy is giving me Donna summer I feel love vibes. Can't wait for next week, happy Friday everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Really not feeling the new album. Where is St Vincent gone :)

Really not feeling the new album. Where is St Vincent gone :)

St Vincent could break wind into a septic tank and The Ticket would give her four stars.

The new album sounds like Gaga in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was a huge fan up to 'Strange Mercy' and the album she did with David Byrne 'Love This Giant', have seen her at least 4 times, but she ain't for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

I like it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Sandwell

The new album is fantastic. It's a change of style but one for the better I think. Can't wait for Friday.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I was a huge fan up to 'Strange Mercy' and the album she did with David Byrne 'Love This Giant', have seen her at least 4 times, but she ain't for me anymore.

Wouldn't go as far as saying she isn't for me anymore, but I sorta concur with what you're saying. Absolutely loved Actor and Strange Mercy. Still gutted to this day that I missed her at The Button Factory when she was touring Strange Mercy.

Don't know if this is the right thread or the right forum for this, but considering every other music forum except this one is largely tumbleweed -

I remember listening to Actor back in '09 and thinking, yeah, this one is the real deal and I pushed that album onto a lot of people. And then when Strange Mercy came out I was fully ready to argue that she was a genius. It was great to see her start to get recognition.

Love This Giant didn't really do it for me, but it was a collaboration. But the self titled... I dunno. I initally thought it was fantastic, but after a few spins down the road I found myself kind of bored by it. I felt the songs sounded great at first, but they didn't have the depth of her earlier stuff. For me a large part of what really turned me onto her was the part of her sound that mixed the pretty, even the beautiful, with the jagged and discordant. I thought the earlier records were personal, but on the self-titled she had started singing from the perspective of a persona somewhat. I thought it all got a bit gimmicky: every photo of her was artfully worked out and there seemed to be a lot of spectacle for spectacle's sake going on.

I know the world at large felt different - she became a much, much bigger deal after that album and people kept heaping superlatives on it. But I'm of the opinion that a lot of that had to do with the fact that a lot of the press and media hadn't really given her much thought or listens before and then, all of sudden, there was this outlandish looking singer with relatively interesting sounding songs - Five Stars! And I do think the self titled is, if taken in isolation, a very strong set of songs, but it doesn't hit the heights that she reached before that point.

Don't get me wrong I still am going to give this album a good few listens before I reach a verdict. First impressions are that it's busy - and that's not a bad thing. And I still think she's got it going on and I sincerely hope the gig will be mind-blowing, but when I read the quoted comment above I knew what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I caught her at the Button Factory on that tour, supporting Grizzly Bear in Vicar Street during the 'Actor' period and in the Olympia before the s/t album came out. I definitely caught her another time as well.

None of her tracks after 'Strange Mercy' can touch the previous output...in my opinion. Also, in my opinion, she's not the same artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

any idea of her setlist at body soul 2012? i wasn't a fan back then, was doing nothing in the campsite, waiting for m83. hate when that happens

I've been a fan since Actor and while I enjoyed the earlier albums immensely I'm glad she's decided to experiment with different styles and personas. That kind of versatility is extremely rare and should be celebrated. How often do we see artists running out of ideas after three or four albums? It's usually that or threading water pleasantly while preaching only to the converted. Clark is one of the rare ones who's got the ambition and talent to try new things and pull them off. She's done the same with her stage persona. I can understand how the stylistic shifts can alienate people too of course, it depends on your tolerance for the poppier stuff she's currently producing. Sounding like Gaga in 2008 isn't a bad thing in my book!

Sandwell wrote: »
    I've been a fan since Actor and while I enjoyed the earlier albums immensely I'm glad she's decided to experiment with different styles and personas. That kind of versatility is extremely rare and should be celebrated. How often do we see artists running out of ideas after three or four albums? It's usually that or threading water pleasantly while preaching only to the converted. Clark is one of the rare ones who's got the ambition and talent to try new things and pull them off. She's done the same with her stage persona. I can understand how the stylistic shifts can alienate people too of course, it depends on your tolerance for the poppier stuff she's currently producing. Sounding like Gaga in 2008 isn't a bad thing in my book!

She's correctly trying to be commercial but also retain critical approval. That was the norm years ago.

I think streaming actually has brought its own problems as well as benefits. Music listened through those platforms just sounds more disposable and throwaway overall.

I like her new album, it just sounds a bit too contemporary (IMHO) for the marketing campaign that's gone with it and for the tour. I thought it would be very dirty electro funk with a warm vintage analog feel, and for something that took so long to be released it sounds a bit rushed and incoherent.

Last night's London show seems to have proved divisive. Friday will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

Would love to see her. She came to Cork a few years back and was excellent. Love the tracks on the new album.

Sandwell wrote: »
    Last night's London show seems to have proved divisive. Friday will be interesting.

Yeah interesting setup alright!

• Advertisement

I seen someone calling it "Amped up karaoke".

I'm intrigued anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Loving the new album so I'm really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Anyone know when she’s likely to be onstage?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Anyone know when she’s likely to be onstage?

I got this off the Olympia website:

Approximate stage times as follows: doors open 7pm, Short Film 8-8.30pm with St Vincent due on stage about 9pm. Please note, times subject to change as always and should be used as a guideline only.

Mesmerising from start to finish.

Will post properly when I've stopped crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ngunners

Mesmerising from start to finish.

Will post properly when I've stopped crying.

Good to hear. Any encore? It wasn't weird without the band?

ngunners wrote: »
    Good to hear. Any encore? It wasn't weird without the band?

Eerie overture in the theatre on a loop gave me a hint this was gonna be good.

She came out in pink corset and boots. Sang "Marry Me" on the left of the stage in a style that can only be described as a mixture of Edith Piaf and Prince.

In "Stop Making Sense" style the show gradually unfolded. The "backing track" was pounding but sonically crystal clear. She moved across the stage track by track with a guitar being swapped for each and sang her earlier bangers (sorry!) one after the other, becoming more impassioned with each one.Loved the slight rework of Digital Witness, had a very funky Herbie Hancock style take on it.

Eventually the visuals (very Who-like) became more pronounced as the tension in the set built. Then she launched into the new album and pummelled it from start to finish.

I was down the front and could see at the beginning she was a bit nervous as what the response would be given the UK reviews.

It wouldn't have worked with a band. She knew exactly what she was doing.

This show has to be seen to be believed. It is sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Phenomenal. An absolute joy from start to finish. The first half played out like a piece of David Lynch musical theatre. The second half was like a soul baring manifesto for the masses. I was up front on the barrier, but judging from the reaction in the venue, the show seemed to go down a storm, no matter the vantage point. I thought it was an utterly unique performance. I don't agree with accusations of karaoke. This is a fully conceived concept and Annie's vocals were incredible all night. Not to be judged in comparison to her previous incarnations, this is a very different beast. Superb.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Beautiful. Considering that her new album focuses on style and appearance, it was wonderful to witness a gig where emotion was just as important. Not a bum note all night. She's quite brilliant and ballsy as hell up there by herself. She carried it off effortlessly.

Advertisement