Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What I log about when I log about running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sounds like a good week. There are some great runs in there. When do you taper? How do you plan to carry the tailwind out of interest?

I think you are well set up for a brilliant race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Sounds like a good week. There are some great runs in there. When do you taper? How do you plan to carry the tailwind out of interest?

Tapering the long runs from now but another two weeks of sessions, so the taper proper begins 10 days out.

I'm only carrying enough Tailwind for an hour. I'd always planned on carrying my own hydration as Berlin water stations are supposed to be a nightmare. I got a belt that has two 600ml water bottles, so one for water and one for TW. I think you can carry TW pretty concentrated and then take on extra water at water stations to avoid having to mix if were to rely solely on it for nutrition. It is fairly rank stuff, though.

I can feel SBB rolling his eyes as I type this!
    I think you are well set up for a brilliant race.

Thanks! I think I just need to let the time goal go and then I'll feel a bit better about it.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Tapering the long runs from now but another two weeks of sessions, so the taper proper begins 10 days out.

I'm only carrying enough Tailwind for an hour. I'd always planned on carrying my own hydration as Berlin water stations are supposed to be a nightmare. I got a belt that has two 600ml water bottles, so one for water and one for TW. I think you can carry TW pretty concentrated and then take on extra water at water stations to avoid having to mix if were to rely solely on it for nutrition. It is fairly rank stuff, though.

I can feel SBB rolling his eyes as I type this!

Thanks! I think I just need to let the time goal go and then I'll feel a bit better about it.

All sounds sensible and well thought out. Is it just rank not very diluted?

I know what you mean about goal time. Just relax for the next few weeks and see what the day brings I think. You are very capable and have great training behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm sorry i'm late to replying to your first update. What a week :eek: But what actually has my head reeling (in a week where there was lots to reel about) is that 75km felt like a "step back week" :eek::eek: (yes that definitely did deserve a double eek :P). You're putting in amazing mileage consistently and getting all the extra elements into the runs as well, roll on Berlin you should have a cracking run :)

Actually yes, I was just thinking the same when my hubby who is training for an ultra his max week was 85km and last week was 70km that is some going Huzzah someday I want to be able to get in similar week's when I am injury free again :)

Awful stressful all the drama over your knee but so glad it all worked out in the end! Roll on Berlin !!!:)

All sounds sensible and well thought out. Is it just rank not very diluted?
    I've only tried the Raspberry in the caffeinated flavours and it's very sweet. The uncaffeinated lemon is grand.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Actually yes, I was just thinking the same when my hubby who is training for an ultra his max week was 85km and last week was 70km that is some going Huzzah someday I want to be able to get in similar week's when I am injury free again :)

Awful stressful all the drama over your knee but so glad it all worked out in the end! Roll on Berlin !!!:)

I've no kids or responsibilities, so I've little else to be doing bar running. Which is a good thing, given how long it takes me ;p

Hope the injury is coming along and you're back to full strength soon.

I've no kids or responsibilities, so I've little else to be doing bar running. Which is a good thing, given how long it takes me ;p

Hope the injury is coming along and you're back to full strength soon.

does not matter how fast we go :) your getting out and doing something you enjoy that is the main thing LOL

I am second guessing my husband's training :eek: I hope he has done enough its a very hilly trail run and self-navigation as well hmmm maybe his taper madness is rubbing off on me now LOL

does not matter how fast we go :) your getting out and doing something you enjoy that is the main thing LOL

Oh, it doesn't bother me in the least how slow I am when training. It's just not super practical to spend that amount of time running, so 50-mile weeks won't be a permanent feature unless I get a touch speedier.
    I am second guessing my husband's training :eek: I hope he has done enough its a very hilly trail run and self-navigation as well hmmm maybe his taper madness is rubbing off on me now LOL

Good luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

3 weeks to go! :eek: Crikey that's flown. Which I'm sure you don't need me telling you.

Phenomenal training again, as usual.
    It’s great that D and I are following the same plan, even if he is way more dedicated than me.
    I don't know D, obviously, but I find it hard to imagine anyone being way more dedicated than you!

Sorry to hear you were a bit up and down in terms of confidence lately (though I know the feeling, and I'd say we all do), because you've been as solid as a rock and you deserve to be feeling on top of the world.

Well done on getting the last 'longer' long run done, that's a big milestone!

Hope everything goes well in the FD10 this morning! I know you’re not racing it but hope you have a good run :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Hope everything goes well in the FD10 this morning! I know you’re not racing it but hope you have a good run :)

Thanks - have a great holiday ;)

• Advertisement

Day |Plan|Actual |Avg Pace| HR|Comments|
    Monday, 27 August |Easy 8km|Easy 8km| 7:21/km | - | I don’t remember much about this apart from being stopped just after UCD by what appeared to be an Erasmus student looking for directions. She was only 200m from where she needed to be, so I pointed the way out and then felt mad guilty for not walking with her, in case she got lost again. |
    Tuesday, 28 August |4x1.5mile@PMP - 10| per plan | 6:13; 6:10; 6:13 and 6:11 | 160(173) | Badly planned had me running this relatively late in the evening and I was tempted not to do the last rep. Listened to a podcast for the duration. Felt grand until the last one, which had my legs tired. I’d take fewer reps for these runs any day but needs must. Steak dinner ready for my when I came home. Can’t complain too much |
    Wednesday, 29 August |Rest|Rest|- | - | No run Wednesday slightly spoiled by the closure of the Port Tunnel leaving me waiting for a bus for over an hour before cutting my losses and strolling to the Luas. Package o’ crisps to make up for it but another lateish evening.|
    Thursday, 30 August |Tempo 16k plus w/up +c/d | 20ishkm incl 16km@pmp | 6:15avg | 162(171) | Far too fast and, as a result, almost a waste in my eyes but anyway. I honestly thought for the first mile of this that there was no way I was going to last the course. Took myself to Ringsend Park and ran most of the rest there. It got easier but I was glad to finish. Nice to see the HR average in my endurance zone.|
    Friday, 31 August | Easy 8km | 8km |7:33/km | 138(151) | A fairly tough day in work, coupled with all the late evenings this week, meant I was very tempted to just take the evening off. I felt a run would probably help my mood and it certainly did. I was determined to keep this easy, with the HR avg below 140 and I managed, despite it being a bit of an anger run. I’m pretty sure my boss saw me talking to myself when she peddled past at one point; I was giving people a piece of my mind in my head. Humid enough, I think. |
    Saturday, 1 September | Easy 13km | Easy 13km | 7:19/km | 147(166) | I needed to go to town for a spot of shopping and we made a day of it with lunch out, rounded off with a run in Marlay Park for a wee change of scenery. It was humid and I ran this too quickly, which might explain why I stopped dead about nine k feeling like I’d run out of steam. Finished the run off on very tired legs, leaving me a small bit concerned for the planned pace of tomorrow’s run. Another run brought to you by Ali on the Run podcast. |
    Sunday, 2 September /B]| Long 16km | Long 16km |6:43/km | 162(176) |I signed myself and D up for this when I spotted it fitted nicely with our last 10mile run of the plan. I’ve missed taking part in the Race Series this year. It would’ve been my fourth. As it is, it was my third FD and I was delighted it was in Swords as I actually think the Fingal 10k is my all-time favourite race. I also live in my Race Series tshirts, so I can never have too many. I met up briefly with Dealerz, Kittyclaws, SBB, Gypsy Lee and Juke before the run and was lucky enough to have the pleasure of Juke’s company for the duration. I’d set a plan to run this at the faster end of my long run pace, in or around 6:45/km. The run went by so quickly thanks to J and I enjoyed the route well enough. I was super glad when the sun went in, though. I tried telling myself that it was good acclimatisation for Berlin but I wasn’t sorry to see it go. Had one moment about 3k near the end where my HR started to rise a bit, so I pulled back in the pace, trying to keep everything on an even keel and not do myself a mischief two weeks out. |
    Week 16 Total |80km ||Week 16 Comments| Another week bites the dust. Last long-paced run done and I’m harbouring thoughts of making this my PMP. Interesting that my HR was much the same for the easier paced run today compared to the PMP run on Thursday, but I guess that’s fatigue and weather related. I’ve apparently dropped half a dress size despite not losing any weight, which made shopping a slightly frustrating experience on Saturday but no doubt that ship will right itself once I’m done with this cycle of training. I’d pretty much stopped listening to music and podcasts when I got my watch but they’re being heavily relied on at the moment. If I listen to any more Ali on the Run, I’ll start talking like her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Another great week Huzzah!

Lovely to meet you today and thanks for the motivation!

I'll be praying to the cloud gods for you for Berlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Well done on another great week.
    Let the taper madness begin:D

I must check out Ali on the Run!!

Another great steady week from you. Well done and well done on being so steady today. I’m dying to see how you do in Berlin. I think you’ll be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Another great steady week from you. Well done and well done on being so steady today. I’m dying to see how you do in Berlin. I think you’ll be brilliant.
    Agreed, really excited to see how you get on!! Hope the taper doesn't drive you too crazy :) I got nightmares :woot:

Well done on another great week.
    Let the taper madness begin:D

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Agreed, really excited to see how you get on!! Hope the taper doesn't drive you too crazy :) I got nightmares :woot:

I realised after I finished my log last night that this week is actually another 50-mile week :rolleyes: So, I've plenty to keep me occupied and stave off the taper crazies for another few days at least. For the best, really - as I keep saying, I'm terrible at tapering.

I'm still avoiding sneezy people on public transport, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Another super week, 50 miles :eek: Super work. Like the others i am dying to see how Berlin goes for you. I think you are going to have a fantastic run - i don't know if i've ever seen anyone so well prepared for their 1st marathon.

great week Huzzah and only two weeks to go eek let the taper madness begin :D

Oooh I haven't heard of that podcast, I'll have to check it out. I too have started listening to more stuff (podcasts and music) again on runs recently, which I had stopped completely. But I think it's only fair when the mileage is high and the new-plan novelty has long worn off. It's just about whatever gets you through now!

Great week, as per usual, and lovely running in the FD10. Would have loved to be doing it and gotten to meet you and the others too, but hopefully next time :)
    I’m pretty sure my boss saw me talking to myself when she peddled past at one point; I was giving people a piece of my mind in my head.
    This is a regular occurrence for me! :o

• Advertisement

Great week, as per usual, and lovely running in the FD10. Would have loved to be doing it and gotten to meet you and the others too, but hopefully next time :)

I'll be at DCM to cheer you all on :)

Day |Plan|Actual |Avg Pace| HR|Comments|
    Monday, 3 September |Easy 11km|Easy 9km| 7:30/km | 134(139) | I planned on doing a 9k loop to the office before picking up my stuff and running the 2k to the Luas. I ended up arriving at the office at just the right time to catch the bus, which is much handier for me, so I catch the bus I did. |
    Tuesday, 4 September |6x1mile@PMP - 10| per plan | 6:12; 6:11; 6:08; 6:11; 6:11; and 6:13 | 158(169) | I can’t really remember this one either. I did it in Ringsend Park and ran the short distance back to the office. It was hard enough to get going again once I picked up my stuff and I lumbered my way through the cool down. Asked on the random running questions thread about walking cool downs and got some good answers. |
    Wednesday, 5 September |Rest|Rest|- | - | Took advantage of no-run Wednesday to have a date night and go for pizza. |
    Thursday, 6 September |Tempo 16k plus w/up +c/d | 20ishkm incl 16km@pmp | 6:17avg | 157(165) | Ooof, the toughest one of these, I think. I can’t put my finger on why. Everything felt fine in isolation but put it altogether and it felt tough enough. Happy enough with the effort exerted for the pace, though.|
    Friday, 7 September | Easy 10km | 5km |7:27/km | - | I had my last physio session at lunchtime and was heading away for the weekend in the early evening, so I’d written getting this run done completely off. I was pretty chuffed with getting anything done at all. |
    Saturday, 8 September | Easy 10km | Easy 9km | 7:36/km | 147(167) | I was on my mini holliers and there was a 3k walk on the “gallops” advertised. I decided to try running here and was surprised to learn that it was an actual, literal, real-life working gallops for the event horses that live on the hotel grounds. The relatively dry summer meant it wasn’t overly rutted and I enjoyed the softer surface. I have to say, I find running on grass a small bit tougher overall. It was only 2k, though, and I got a bit bored, so I finished it off on the treadmill. |
    Sunday, 9 September /B]| Easy 13km | Easy 13km |7:37/km | 132(148) | The main aim of this week’s runs is to keep my heart rate as low as possible and I don’t care how slow a pace that translates to. I enjoyed this, although I’m pretty tired. |
    Week 17 Total |70km ||Week 17 Comments| I reduced this week from the planned 80k to 70k, somewhat on purpose and somewhat by accident. I probably should’ve run the full 11 on Monday, but I’m not too concerned about the rest. I’m happy enough that I ran every day I was supposed to and got my two sessions and longer run done as per plan. Need to stick to the taper plan as closely as possible now and not my usual trick of just not running at all, although I’m saying it now: I’m not doing Friday’s 10k. No sireee, Bob.

Well done. Still a high mileage week. Are you getting excited?

Ooof, the toughest one of these, I think. I can’t put my finger on why. Everything felt fine in isolation but put it altogether and it felt tough enough. Happy enough with the effort exerted for the pace, though.

Eh - 17 weeks of pretty serious dedication to the plan probably had a part to play!

Well done. Still a high mileage week. Are you getting excited?

Oh, God, no. I'm just getting more terrified :o
    juke wrote: »
    Eh - 17 weeks of pretty serious dedication to the plan probably had a part to play!

I was expecting it to be the easiest but you're right. Of course it would be difficult coming at the end of the plan.

I am excited for you!! When do you fly over? Are you staying on for a holiday?? Such a great city!
    Sorry, I'm very nosy...

The last week is a very weird feeling, I remember having a lot more free time than I was used to,but also a fair bit of (nervous) energy and not sure what to do with it. I know I had to avoid snacking too much.

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I am excited for you!! When do you fly over? Are you staying on for a holiday?? Such a great city!
    Sorry, I'm very nosy...

The last week is a very weird feeling, I remember having a lot more free time than I was used to,but also a fair bit of (nervous) energy and not sure what to do with it. I know I had to avoid snacking too much.

I'm glad someone is excited! Perhaps it will rub off on me :P

You're not nosy, just interested. Flying early on Friday. Not sure how much touristing will be done apart from a 26.2 mile running tour of the city. I'm flying back on the late flight on Monday. I'm hoping to satisfy my cravings for bad '80s cocktails with a margarita or two at some point as well.

What a cracking training cycle you've had, your training has been so impressive to follow. I'm excited for you now too and more than anything I just want you to have the amazing first marathon experience that you deserve. Have a good week!

1 week to go!! so exciting for you, now time to carb load ;)

I'm glad someone is excited! Perhaps it will rub off on me :P
    Add me to the excited camp please! I think we'll all be sitting at home back here wondering how you're getting on! You deserve to have an amazing and really enjoyable run after the consistency of all that training. Hope the nerves don't trouble you too much this week and you can start to look forward to it yourself. (Although I can entirely identify with the terror - I expect to be the very same :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Don't forget to post your number...I'm sure there are lots of us would love to follow you on the tracker.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Don't forget to post your number...I'm sure there are lots of us would love to follow you on the tracker.

Yes I second that!

yes please do post your number so we can track you and cheer you on from here! :)

ariana` wrote: »
    What a cracking training cycle you've had, your training has been so impressive to follow. I'm excited for you now too and more than anything I just want you to have the amazing first marathon experience that you deserve. Have a good week!

Thank you and thanks for all your help and support. I don't really care what time I run it in, but I would love to have an enjoyable (so far as possible) experience.
    1 week to go!! so exciting for you, now time to carb load ;)

Shoveling a muffin into my gob as I type.
    Add me to the excited camp please! I think we'll all be sitting at home back here wondering how you're getting on! You deserve to have an amazing and really enjoyable run after the consistency of all that training. Hope the nerves don't trouble you too much this week and you can start to look forward to it yourself. (Although I can entirely identify with the terror - I expect to be the very same :eek:)

I'm just a curmudgeon. I'm never excited the week I travel somewhere - too much of a Nervous Nancy.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yes I second that!
    yes please do post your number so we can track you and cheer you on from here! :)

Surely, you have better things to be doing. I was tempted to give Edna Kiplagat's number :cool: It's 39203.

Surely, you have better things to be doing. I was tempted to give Edna Kiplagat's number :cool: It's 39203.

You can add me to the cheering squad, I'll be shouting 'Viel Spas' and 'Schnell'
    and 'just a parkrun to go' at the tracker as you go around.

More than anything, enjoy the atmosphere.

Thank you and thanks for all your help and support. I don't really care what time I run it in, but I would love to have an enjoyable (so far as possible) experience.

Shoveling a muffin into my gob as I type.

I'm just a curmudgeon. I'm never excited the week I travel somewhere - too much of a Nervous Nancy.

Absolutely nothing better in the world to be doing - i have the kettle boiling already in anticipation :D

Seriously, i hope you're hanging in there ok and not feeling too many nerves this week. Sleep as best you can but don't worry if you're not sleeping great - that's normal too! Eat lots :D and enjoy a small bit more time to put the feet up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the very best on Sunday, you have had a great training cycle. Enjoy the day and soak it all in, run the best race you can and there is no doubt you’ll be sipping PB pints Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck! You've done a great block of training, I'm well impressed with your milage (or is it kilometrage?!) Hopefully the conditions will allow you to get the results you deserve.

Safe flight tomorrow and I hope you have a ball over the next few days. Your training has been so consistent that you are going to be just fine on the day. Soak up the atmosphere and remember all the details for your report when you get back. Will be tracking you!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck with everything this weekend. Your training has been brilliant and no doubt you will have a great trip :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck with your run. Enjoy every step. Looking forward to reading your race report. Have a great trip.

• Advertisement

Have a safe trip to Berlin, and hope you have a blast running the marathon! Best of luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Best of luck on Sunday! I hope everything goes to plan on the day and that all your hard work pays off. Most of all, enjoy it! Looking forward to your race report :)

Safe travels tomorrow Huzzah! I'll be thinking of you setting off. Hope you have fun doing all the lead up bits and soaking up the atmosphere, and most of all I hope you have an amazing first marathon on Sunday!! (Feels unreal even saying that.) You absolutely deserve it, and I hope all goes well for you on the day so you get the just rewards of all that incredible training. Dying to hear all about it x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Enjoy Berlin! Eat some nice currywursts, check out the wall and the amazing museums... oh and have a great marathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best, run well.

Have a great time H. Soak it up and enjoy every second - the training is done, Ts crossed and Is dotted, you couldn't have done any more - give it socks but mostly just enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Have a great time while you're away and soak up the day itself. Best of luck ::-):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Best of luck - enjoy every moment of it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Best of luck. :) You've trained well.

• Advertisement

Well I for one am looking forward to the report :D

Advertisement