Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I log about when I log about running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Didn't realise the Wexford half route change might mean more hills, flip! It wasn't nearly as flat as I was expecting/hoping for last year.

That's some mileage you're doing, I'm in awe!

No, it’s definitely not flat. I’m not sure but I think it used to be advertised as such? Anyway, my comment re the additional hill comes from a FB comment and it may not be accurate. It’s only additional one, though, so we’ll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Huzzah! wrote: »
    No, it’s definitely not flat. I’m not sure but I think it used to be advertised as such? Anyway, my comment re the additional hill comes from a FB comment and it may not be accurate. It’s only additional one, though, so we’ll be grand :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw it advertised as being flat. But yeah you're right, what's one more. Once it isn't a steep one:eek:

Tuesday, March 20
    Plan: 3x2mile@HMP - 10
    Total: 16.5km, incl session
    SOS splits: 6:02; 6:02; and 5:59
    Avg HR: 149 Max: 172

My legs felt fairly fresh, despite having run my long run the previous day, so I decided to see how I felt on the warm up and do my session if all was well. I felt grand and picked a 4ish-k loop close to home to do this on. The Hansons suggest doing these on an undulating loop, which is what I did but, being honest, I feel I benefited more from downhills than I suffered the uphills. An enjoyable enough session.

Thursday, March 22
    Plan: 8k tempo.
    Total: 12km, incl 8km@HMP
    Avg HR: 164 Max HR: 179
    Tempo Splits: 6:06; 6:08; 6:09; 6:08; 6:08; 6:09; 6:04; and 6:09

Another enjoyable wee session. The last kilometer was comically difficult because of wind, which hadn’t been an issue until that point. I turned directly into it just as the last kilometer started and my pace dropped significantly. The wind was making it hard to breathe. All I could do was just keep plugging away and I was pleased to see the last split came in about where it should be. I was less please when I saw my heart rate, however - another tempo run run largely at LT effort.

Friday, March 23
    Plan: Easy 10k
    Total: Easy 10km
    Splits: 7:28; 7:32; 7:18; 7:32; 7:41; 7:29; 7:35; 7:28; 7:27; and 7:23
    Avg HR: 134 Max HR: 154

I’ve been keeping to the flat for these Friday runs lately but I decided to this as a runmute. I can tell I’m deep into half-marathon training when my body just gets stuck at a certain pace. I could not have run this any quicker, but I also couldn’t have slowed down. The effort was pretty spot on, though.

Saturday, March 24
    Plan: Easy 8k
    Total: 8k
    Avg HR: 141 Max HR: 166
    Splits: 7:31; 7:16; 7:27; 7:45; 7:07; 7:09; 7:06; and 8:06

Another too fast run with D. Only slightly too fast, though. Spring has sprung, my friends :cool:

Sunday, March 19
    Plan: Easy 16k
    Total: Long 22km
    Avg HR: 153 Max HR: 176
    Splits: (7:47); 6:45; 6:54; 6:38; 6:35; 6:43; 7:04; 6:48; 6:42; 6:51; 6:58; 6:39; 6:51; 6:41; 6:39; 6:37; 6:45; 6:32; 6:38; 6:43; 6:40; 6:16; and 4:52

I ran this as part of the Wicklow half marathon and I loved it. I need to plan my year of running in advance, so that I stop signing up for races that don’t really fit with my goal races. I signed up for this last November when signing up for Wexford and it seemed like a good deal to sign up for all three Eoin Ryan races at once. I’ll probably only run Clontarf as a training run as well - oh well. I loved this run today. Everyone was so friendly. It was quite a scenic route but I wouldn’t recommend racing it. The hills were plentiful and I’d imagine they’d make any PB attempt next to impossible.

I was feeling pretty tired when I lined up for this. I’d initially planned at running this at the faster end of the long-run pace range (6.44-7.40) as I’ve notions that this might be an okay MP for me later in the year. When I started running, I quickly decided that chasing any type of time, even a slow one, was stupid and I decided to run this all by effort. So, while the splits seem erratic, I’m happy that I managed to keep my avg HR well within my endurance zone (max 163). Some of the hills tipped me quite a bit above this at times but never for long. I practiced my gels and happy to stay with the Cliff Shots for Wexico.

68.8 kilometres in this six-day week and I can confirm that cumulative fatigue is real. Tricky week ahead with various things to work around - Tuesday and Saturday looking particularly problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great week Huzzah. You're clocking enviable mileage. Well done on taking the sensible approach to the HM, it would have been so easy to get caught up in the race atmosphere. Tricky week ahead for me too, i have visitors staying from Wed-Saturday and the kids are off school all week. There's going to be weeks like that, just do your best and no point in beating yourself up. Life has to be lived too :cool:

ariana` wrote: »
    Great week Huzzah. You're clocking enviable mileage. Well done on taking the sensible approach to the HM, it would have been so easy to get caught up in the race atmosphere. Tricky week ahead for me too, i have visitors staying from Wed-Saturday and the kids are off school all week. There's going to be weeks like that, just do your best and no point in beating yourself up. Life has to be lived too :cool:

I think you're entitled to take it easy after your great run yesterday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's a super week, no wonder you're feeling it!
    I was less please when I saw my heart rate, however - another tempo run run largely at LT effort.
    But.... I thought tempo WAS LT effort?? No??? :confused:

eyrie wrote: »
    That's a super week, no wonder you're feeling it!
    I was less please when I saw my heart rate, however - another tempo run run largely at LT effort.

You are correct, except when it comes to Hansons. Tempo in Hanson-speak is planned race pace. So, half-marathon pace for this plan. Confusing, right?!

Ahhh, I see... Confusing is certainly the word! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Tempo is one of those words that could mean anything so it means nothing without further context

Some of the most common interpretations however are as follows

LT - About the pace you could hold for an Hour. For elites this is HM pace, decent club runners - 10 mile pace, others 10-15k pace. As such some will simply use HM pace or 10 mile pace referring to them as tempo

Aet - About the pace you can hold for 2 hours, normally these are referenced from Kenyan's meaning its interpreted by many as Marathon pace and as such become interchangeable.

Should also be noted that effort = duration + intensity meaning that true LT pace might be fine for a 20 min tempo but might need to scale back to HM pace for longer efforts

For example - a 2 hr half runner might have a LT of approx 8.45 (roughly about 11km race pace

So tempo run could be broken down as follows
    20 min tempo|8.45 pace
    25 min tempo| 8.50 pace
    30 min tempo|8.55 pace
    35 min tempo|9.00 pace

Even though the shorter run is at true LT the longer effort at slower pace would still be same effort due to cardiac drift. Some times the shorter can be as useful especially if you are looking at pace management, other times you are wanting more time on your feet and as a result the longer slightly slow pace might be just what the doctor ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

This is one of the things I really like about here....learning!

• Advertisement

Monday, March 26
    Plan: Easy 8k
    Actual: Easy 8k
    Avg HR: 122 HR Max: 143
    Splits: 7:32; 7:55; 7:52; 7:28; 7:38; 7:33; 7:52; and 8:35

Lowest ever average HR on a run.

Wednesday, March 28
    Plan: 2x3mile@HMP - 10
    Total: 15km, incl session
    SOS splits: 6:02; and 6:01
    Avg HR: 152 Max: 174

As expected, I ended up working late on Tuesday, so this was moved to Wednesday morning. I’d Wednesday and Thursday off and planned a lovely long lie in before being whisked away for a few days’ luxury, so I was fairly grumpy having to get up at six and on the warm up. I think the grumpiness was partially caused by a bit of nerves at the thoughts of the session, but I actually quite enjoyed it once I got going.

Headed to the physio for a tune-up after this. I’m running too often and not stretching enough, apparently.

Friday, March 30
    Plan: 10k easy.
    Total: 9.65km@7:25min/km

A wee jaunt around a fairly Baltic but very friendly Belfast.

Passed the Belfast to Dublin ultra run on our way home. I think they were about a marathon in when we passed. We then drove home, pottered around, cooked dinner, ate dinner, went into town, saw a play, came home, had a decent night's sleep, got up, ate breakfast, drove to the K-Club, ran a race, ate our fill of the spread and drove to Wexford and some of the participants were running all of that time :eek:

Saturday, March 31
    Total: 14.5km, incl 10k tempo
    Tempo Splits: 6:09; 6:09; 6:09; 6:08; 6:09; 6:07; 6:10; 6:08; 6:09; and 5:43
    Avg HR: 157 Max HR: 175

Boom! Them splits, though.The aim was 6:10/km, so I’m pretty happy with that. D was running the first of his Pfitz tune-ups at the K-Club 10k and we were driving to Wexford directly after where I’d planned to meet friends in the early evening. The only opportunity to do my run was to participate in the race, so I decided to move my tempo and do it then. I ran this last year as a Pfitz tune-up and ran it badly. It was a lot hotter that day and while I was hoping to tip in under the 60 minutes, I ran it in 1:01:42, which is pretty much what I ran it in yesterday but much more comfortably. The course measured ever so slightly longer this year. I was running back in the last kilometer when I got surrounded by a group of men on their warm down. My pace picked up to match theirs and I decided not to bother slowing down when I turned the slightly convoluted route to the finished. Happy enough with this run. Legs were tireder at the start than at the end and it never felt too hard. Hopefully, I can keep that pace for more than double the distance in a mere four weeks’ time. Finally, a tempo run that’s not at the LT effort.

Sunday, April 1
    Total: 11k@7:35/km

Legs felt fine after yesterday’s effort. No excuses for cutting this short. It was hammering rain and I was freezing in the wind, but that’s not a reason to quit. I wimped out.

58km for me this week and not a great showing from me. I’m four weeks out from a race I’ve worked very hard for; it’s time to buck up my ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I love reading your log Huzzah! I think you are doing great running. Your even splits are amazing! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

You're training hard. You're entitled to wimp out on 5k just once!

Also envious of those splits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Super session there, not easy to stick to the plan with racing going on all around you.

juke wrote: »

Agreed!! You're being too hard on yourself there.

Your description of how felt at the end of the 10k bodes extremely well for the half too!

juke wrote: »

Also envious of those splits!
    Agreed!! You're being too hard on yourself there.

Ah, I hate missing/shorting long runs is all. I also only ran five days, so missing a bit more than 5k, but who's counting?*
    Super session there, not easy to stick to the plan with racing going on all around you.

Thanks - I blew up running this last year and also have the fear of overdoing it and missing a session now that I'm running six days a week - it all contributes to keeping my head when all around me are losing theirs :)

*Me, I'm counting :o

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Love reading your logs. I am in awe at the mileage you are running each week. You will smash the Wexford Half.

Huzzah sometimes you have to listen to your body... But i know for us novices it can be a fine line to tell the difference between when our body is talking to us and when it's just our mind playing tricks :rolleyes: But seriously 58km is still a really good week's running, gosh i was only barely hitting that on the peak weeks training for Dublin where the LSR alone was 30-32 km!!!! I think you're doing amazing, i'm always in awe reading your log, don't beat yourself up, it's a new week now :)

Monday, April 2
    Plan/Actual:
    Easy 11k
    Avg HR: 133 HR Max: 152
    Splits: 7:38; 7:54; 7:18; 7:36; 7:29; 7:11; 7:32; 7:37; 7:23; 7:36 and 8:00

Looking forward to this but it wasn’t as comfy as expected once I got going.

Tuesday, April 3
    Plan: 3x2mile@HMP - 10
    Total: 13km(approx), incl 2x2 mile@hmp - 10
    SOS splits: 6:02; and 6:00
    Avg HR: 150 Max: 173

Perhaps I did this too close to Saturday’s session, although having cut Sunday’s long run short, it shouldn’t have been an issue. I haven’t been sleeping well, either. Anyway, I really struggled. I managed to hit the paces or a bit quicker until I started the third interval and I needed a pitstop - bit of a run/walk home with my fingers crossed situation :o

Thursday, April 5
    Plan: Tempo 10k
    Total: 15.5km(approx), incl tempo 10k
    SOS splits: 6:04; 5:58; 6:07; 6:11; 6:06; 6:11; 6:08; 6:08; 6:06; and 6:09
    Avg HR: 163 Max: 176

Another tempo tempo. It was a windy day and I was so cold on my warm up that I stopped back into the office to put my fleece on before the tempo. The wind made it hard to run consistent splits, but at least I was toasty in my t-shirt, mid-layer and fleece. Kept this one to the flat. I randomly picked up a blister, despite my Mizunos being well broken in.

Friday, April 6
    Plan: 8k easy.
    Total: 4km treadmill run

A measly 4k was all I could fit between a very busy day of work and a hot date with the Arcade Fire. I probably jumped around enough to make up the additional distance.

Saturday, April 7
    Total: Easy 10.3k@7:31min/km average
    Avg HR: 138 Max HR: 158

I’d a busy day of eating and prosecco drinking, so I was plagued with stitches on this run. Enjoyed it, nonetheless.

Sunday, April 8
    Plan/Actual: Long 23km@7:24min/km avg
    Avg HR: 147 Max HR: 172

My long runs are out of sync with the plan. This week should’ve been a step-back week, but as I only ran 11km last weekend, I decided to do the last 23km run this weekend. I was tired enough on this. Kilometres 12-15 were particularly grim, but I ground it out. I picked a nice’n’hilly route. I’ll either do 19 or 16 next week - tbc. Was thinking of the folks running Rotterdam and Manchester today and wondering how they were getting on. It’s been a tough winter to train through and it seems as if it was a tough day out for many. The marathon is well and truly a beast.

77 kilometres for me and this will quite possibly be the highest mileage week of the plan. For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been really busy and running was feeling like a bit of chore - another item to be ticked off a never-ending to-do list. Thankfully, I really enjoyed the weekend’s runs, despite them being tough. I guess there’s a point in every plan where the option of being free and easy to do what you please seems appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's some mileage (or kilometrage if that's even a word :confused:). Great training going on. Is there a decent taper in the plan ? Seems like the hard work is pretty much done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

That is some mileage well done :) and I agree it has been a very hard winter I am looking forward to some nice warmer days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great mileage and very impressive log and training !

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's some mileage (or kilometrage if that's even a word :confused:). Great training going on. Is there a decent taper in the plan ? Seems like the hard work is pretty much done.

Thanks! I'm almost bilingual, so mileage works ;)

This week is a standard week and next week follows a similar format but with reduced mileage and then a nice final week of easy running. Easy, right?!

That's an incredible week Huzzah!, fair play to you. You deserve a hell of a result after all this!
    I hear you completely about the desire to escape from the demands of a plan at a certain point, but I've no doubt that a week after the race you'll be dying to start the next one.

Now most importantly of all, how was Arcade Fire??

Now most importantly of all, how was Arcade Fire??

Ah, they were alright, I s'pose ;)

They were fantastic, as always. They know how to put on a show.

Monday, April 9
    Plan/Actual: Easy 8.5k
    Avg Pace: 7:22min/km
    Avg HR: 133 Max: 155
    Average pace not hugely accurate.

Tuesday, April 10
    Plan: SOS4x1.5m @hmp - 10
    Total: 15km, incl above
    SOS Splits: 6:03; 5:58; 6:01; and 5:59
    Avg HR: 153 Max: 181

I ran most of this on the 800m loop outside my house and it worked out perfectly. For each of the intervals, it meant running three loops. The first loop was always the hardest, then I’d settle into a pace on the second with the last being the easiest. It was a foul night but even the weather couldn’t put a dampner on how much I enjoyed this session. Could’ve maybe run a slightly longer cool down if I’m to be critical.

Friday, April 13
    Plan: SOS 10k Tempo
    Total: 13.54, incl SOS
    SOS Splits: 6:08; 6:01; 6:00; 6:05; 6:08; 6:05; 6:05; 6:08; and 6:06
    Avg HR: 152 Max HR: 165

I came down with a cold on Wednesday and felt rough on Thursday, so I hit the bed at 7.30pm, which meant moving my tempo to Friday (and also sacrificing 8k along the way). The early night did me good and, thankfully, the cold was well on its way on Friday. This was grand, if slightly too fast. Nice to see the HR in a more appropriate zone, too.

Saturday, April 14
    Total: Easy 10k@7:21
    Avg HR: 134 Max HR: 164

Up and at ‘em early doors for this one. Even though it was only yesterday, I can’t really remember it. It seems like it was ever so slightly too fast - didn’t feel it, though.

Sunday, April 15
    Total: Long 16k@7:03/km
    Avg HR: 139 Max HR: 169

I was on the fence whether to do 19k or 16k and the rotten-pox weather made my mind up. Soaked to the bone on this one. Did a loop to keep it nice and hilly. Was tired by the end.

64kms and the last of the long runs. One more proper SOS and one shortened SOS to go before taper. Who wants to bet the weather is going to be amazing in the Sunny South East on 29 April?

And another great week, you just keep killing it. How're you feeling now to be at this point in the plan with the longest run behind you?

ariana` wrote: »
    How're you feeling now to be at this point in the plan with the longest run behind you?

Not sure, to be honest. I'm still sort of taking one session at a time, so my focus is on tomorrow's SOS. I haven't thought about the race beyond the fact that there will be a pacer for my goal time. It all seems to have snuck up on me a wee bit.

Excellent week, as per usual these days!

I barely stuck my nose out the door on Sunday, just looked out at the window at the rain and was very glad I had randomly decided to my (not very) long run on Saturday instead.

You're getting so close now!

• Advertisement

Monday, April 16
    Plan/Actual:
    Easy 8k
    Avg Pace: 7:25min/km
    Avg HR: 134 Max: 148

A resistance run into the wind on the way out and a lovely easy bounce home. Physio appointment after this; I booked this ages ago and forgot to cancel.

Tuesday, April 17
    Plan: SOS6x1m @hmp - 10
    Total: 16km, incl above
    SOS Splits: 6:03; 6:02; 5:45; 6:01;6:01; and 6:01
    Avg HR: 153 Max: 169

This was probably the most comfortable of all the SOS, so comfortable that I ran straight through the third recovery without realising. I’d to restart the session, so it looks a bit funny on Strava (now that I’ve found some of you to follow).

Thursday, April 19
    Plan: SOS 8k Tempo
    Total: 12, incl SOS
    SOS Splits: 6:06; 6:07; 6:10; 6:09; 6:08; 6:10; 6:08; and 6:07
    Avg HR: 162 Max HR: 183

Last of the sessions and I was looking forward to it. Pretty high HR near the end but felt okay throughout. In shorts and a tank top for this and it was nice to be running on a balmy summer’s evening for a change, pity grown men feel the need to catcall as they drive slowly past.

Saturday, April 21
    Total: Easy 10k@7:20
    Avg HR: 135 Max HR: 159

I was working until 9.30 on Friday, so I missed my run (not quite as dedicated as Testosterscone who was out in the late hours). Felt the need to keep applying the brakes on this and it felt super easy.

Sunday, April 22
    Plan: Easy 12k
    Total: Easy14@7:28/km
    Avg HR: 133 Max HR: 155

This felt yuck and I’m not sure why. I kept the effort really easy but only hit a rhythm in the final third.

60kms and slightly short of the required 64, which isn’t too bad. It’s time to taper, something I’m not very good at. I tend to get lazy. I’m nervous that there’s too much running prescribed this week, with 8k, 8k, 10k, 8k and 5k being the planned runs. Think I’ll definitely limit each run to an hour’s duration. Anyway, it has to be good omen that a runner from the Hanson/Brooks stable won Boston last week, right?!

Advertisement