Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chin ups - is there any hope?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Good article here that I was looking at the other day: Some suggested accessory exercises included that look good. https://www.t-nation.com/training/programs-for-the-pull-up-deficient

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chinups are just naturally harder for women as said. In the US Marines females were not expected to even do chinups/pullups, just maintain a "flexed arm hang" for 15 seconds.

Holding like this
    Marine-physical-fitness-tests.jpg

Then I was reading they introduced a 3 chinup minimum for female marines and over 50% could not do it so I think they had to either change the requirements or go back to the flexed arm thing or maybe replace it with pushups.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Take many of those military fitness tests with a pinch of salt as they are now taking into account office clerks etc who will never be front line troops so fitness is not a major focus.

Also if you are struggling to do pull ups avoid / skip the kip it is a pretty advanced movement within gymnastics that is used by many to make pull ups easier but can lead to serious joint issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Definitely just use bands and use them to do your negatives and you will improve. Do a few sets each day.

I did the same when I wanted to do pullups and I could do them a lot faster than I thought. I bought a cheap thing off amazon to do them at home/get more practice and it worked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Lose weight and practice negatives, eventually those negatives will turn into positives. It's not sexy and it's consistent work but that's how you'll get there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Anyone got a link to some bands for pull ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

72 euro for bands!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

72 euro for bands!
    Looks like there's 10 in that pack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Take many of those military fitness tests with a pinch of salt as they are now taking into account office clerks etc who will never be front line troops so fitness is not a major focus.

Chins/pulls are still much more difficult for women. Even men I know who don't train at all and still pop out 2/3 while I still struggle with negatives.

Among the girls in my gym, even the girls who can do them and can do multiple sets of 5 still say it's the toughest exercise for them. where as new guys walk in and in a couple of weeks are like pull up machines

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

@dottie_lottie I said the same earlier in this thread I have heard many people equate the pull up for women is like a muscle up for a male. It is still as you say possible for women to achieve pull ups. There are all sorts of physiological reasons for it which is why for females especially focusing on the initial pulling prep from dead hang should be a major focus which is often totally ignored.

My point was that many of the dropping requirements for military fitness tests have a lot of variables you don't need an office clerk to run 10km with a 20kg pack for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭snapper1234

Also if you are struggling to do pull ups avoid / skip the kip it is a pretty advanced movement within gymnastics that is used by many to make pull ups easier but can lead to serious joint issues.

well said, stay away from the kip...it'll only bring trouble, and at that you may not be able to even perform a pull up from the kip.

Advertisement