Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheater in the Leaving Cert

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Bredabe wrote: »
    Not in my experience, depending on the type of issue, some ppl go "mainstream" centres.

Yeah they do, depending on the type of issue. But an auditory issue, no way, that is separate centre all the way. Was the student in question using their own MP3 player?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    It's only theft if you have no intention on returning the item to the owner. Confiscation is an entirely different matter.
    I'd like to see how that one holds up in court.
    It is covered under the conduct of candidates rules and is ready out at the start of the first day. If you are found to have examination material / notes on your phone procedure is with the agreement of the school to confiscate the phone and forward it to SEC - they are the rules you agree to. You have no RIGHT to sit the state exams and if I were a superintendent and had a pushy "I know my rights" even when I'm in the wrong kinda student I'd push for exclusion from my centre totally again as per the conduct of candidates guidelines

Most candidates are under 18 meaning they cannot be held to these rules (as its a contract of sorts). Everybody can agree in principle to uphold these rules/regulations, but ultimately cannot be forced to do so.

Superintendent is within his/her rights to exclude the candidate, but I'd imagine there would be quite a social media stink if they tried (rightly or wrongly).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, in that case I guess the only solution is for the SEC to only allow candidates over 18 to sit the LC ... which they are completely entitled to do, as they set the conditions for the examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Well, in that case I guess the only solution is for the SEC to only allow candidates over 18 to sit the LC ... which they are completely entitled to do, as they set the conditions for the examination.

They sure can try that approach...but I cant see it working out very well. Would need a consistent approach all the way down to junior infants- ie kids can only start school at an age where they will be 18 come exam time.

I think if everybody approaches the rules in a sensible manner and agrees to abide by them theres no problems. The problems arise when people dont. And once you've broken one rule & potentially been caught/accused then theres no reason to stop at one rule break.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Actually, while that nuclear option is always available, it's not really necessary.

Minors CAN enter into certain binding / enforceable contracts in Ireland.

These are "contracts for necessaries and beneficial contracts of service which are in your best interests". Contracts for necessaries usually include contracts for such things as food, clothing and lodging, but may also cover contracts for items connected with education and training such as school books, uniforms, school transport, etc., and contracts of service including apprenticeships etc.

I'm not aware that it's ever come up in court (it may have), but I can't see why a contract with an examining body which a minor enters into of their own volition and for their own benefit wouldn't be equally binding / enforceable under this exception.

• Advertisement
Advertisement