Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheater in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Ann22 wrote: »
    They seal her phone in a bag and it's sent away to be examined. It will be decided if the info on it gave her an unfair advantage in that particular exam. It will then be decided what to do by a commission.
    endacl wrote: »
    It's the SEC, not CSI.

IT is the SEC, it's not CSI, you are correct. However, Ann22 has obviously acted as superintendent before because that is exactly what they do if material or photos pertaining to the exam are found on a device.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    IT is the SEC, it's not CSI, you are correct. However, Ann22 has obviously acted as superintendent before because that is exactly what they do if material or photos pertaining to the exam are found on a device.

What jurisdiction do they have to confiscate your property, because unless its in law, this is theft.

In any case, whats to stop the owner of the phone remotely erasing the data on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

daheff wrote: »
    What jurisdiction do they have to confiscate your property, because unless its in law, this is theft.

In any case, whats to stop the owner of the phone remotely erasing the data on the phone?

It is covered under the conduct of candidates rules and is ready out at the start of the first day. If you are found to have examination material / notes on your phone procedure is with the agreement of the school to confiscate the phone and forward it to SEC - they are the rules you agree to. You have no RIGHT to sit the state exams and if I were a superintendent and had a pushy "I know my rights" even when I'm in the wrong kinda student I'd push for exclusion from my centre totally again as per the conduct of candidates guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dreadful system, it's really only a giant memory test, and that's a problem if you have memory issues. Best of luck op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

If cheating is really that common... these people who get all As on the news...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Who thought it a good idea to allow phones / headphones in exams in the first place? In my day calculators were only allowed under severe duress and had to be a certain type. Phones? FFS. Might as well allow in laptops with full internet access.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

professore wrote: »
    Who thought it a good idea to allow phones / headphones in exams in the first place? In my day calculators were only allowed under severe duress and had to be a certain type. Phones? FFS. Might as well allow in laptops with full internet access.

They're not. That's the issue here. What on earth made you think that they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

Peregrine wrote: »
    They're not. That's the issue here. What on earth made you think that they are?

"You're allowed to use your phones but you have to PROMISE you won't cheat, okay?" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What happens if a student is found guilty of cheating?

Are they barred from resitting the LC for a period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

My friend's brother got caught cheating during English paper 2 around 5/6 years ago. He was allowed to continue his exams and his English paper was cancelled, but his other results were allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

PBM1998 wrote: »
    So I am a student sitting my Leaving Cert and I was doing my biology exam today when the girl who was sitting beside me's phone went off as if earphones had been plugged out and it was blatantly playing biology notes aloud. The girl was told to leave the hall but the principal came in and the girl was shortly allowed back in to continue her exam and I was told she will be allowed to sit the rest of her Leaving Cert. I feel that this is completely unfair on all the rest of the students who are doing their exams honestly and I want something to be done about it. I feel as if I would be known as a rat for doing this but am disgusted at the same time. Anyone know who I can contact or what I should do?

I have frequently entered exam halls, where no mobile phones are allowed, and due to the overwhelming anxiousness that surrounds the exam, forgotten to remove the phone from my pocket.

There is the possibility that this was just human error.

Stress can have a serious impact on some people.

Perhaps she was just listening to the biology notes pre-exam, and the phone went off in her pocket. Its unfortunate, and disruptive, but not intentional. Leave it to the super intended to evaluate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It depends on the severity of the incident.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/more-than-300-cheating-jc-and-lc-students-were-denied-their-exam-results-232102

daheff wrote: »

It's only theft if you have no intention on returning the item to the owner. Confiscation is an entirely different matter.
    professore wrote: »

It's not allowed. I don't know where you got the idea that it was. You can't frisk them coming in though.

I actually don't know the answer to this one but the rumour when we were in school was that you were banned from all state exams for 5 yrs. I doubt that has ever happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That's the rumour which used to float around when I was in school too Banaleaf.

I always wondered was there any truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Fairly certain it is true but as randylonghorn said it depends on the severity of the situation. I doubt it's happened to many people but it's not unheard of.

I actually don't know the answer to this one but the rumour when we were in school was that you were banned from all state exams for 5 yrs. I doubt that has ever happened though.
    That's the rumour which used to float around when I was in school too Banaleaf.

I always wondered was there any truth to it.
    It's the maximum penalty which can be applied.

I honestly have no idea how often it has been applied, or indeed, if it ever has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

I find it really frustrating when people say it's none of your business. We're all invested in the same system, and in the same way we are justified in feeling angry when it seems a politician has got special treatment or whatever (something that doesn't affect us), we should be entitled to feel aggrieved when rules aren't applied equally. Without being hyperbolic, it's the sort of mentality that permits corruption in society.

Re: the incident, someone in my school tied an ipod behind her hair and threaded the earphones to her ears. She was caught, ipod was confiscated, but she was allowed to finish her exam. When they analysed the ipod, they found it only had music on it. Apparently she couldn't concentrate without. She was let off. Presumably the same procedure is being followed, as others have said.

When they analysed the ipod, they found it only had music on it. Apparently she couldn't concentrate without. She was let off.
    Correct decision really, even if she was in breach of the rules in the strict sense: she wasn't actually cheating tho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

I find it really frustrating when people say it's none of your business. We're all invested in the same system, and in the same way we are justified in feeling angry when it seems a politician has got special treatment or whatever (something that doesn't affect us), we should be entitled to feel aggrieved when rules aren't applied equally. Without being hyperbolic, it's the sort of mentality that permits corruption in society.

Re: the incident, someone in my school tied an ipod behind her hair and threaded the earphones to her ears. She was caught, ipod was confiscated, but she was allowed to finish her exam. When they analysed the ipod, they found it only had music on it. Apparently she couldn't concentrate without. She was let off. Presumably the same procedure is being followed, as others have said.

Agree with this 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Bananaleaf wrote:

I haven't but my friend has done it many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I was exam superintendent in an university in a past job good while ago. If we suspected someone of cheating the phone would be confiscated, handed to exams office with our reports. Student is permitted to finish the exam but the answer book is marked athe point where the cheating allegations are made. Its then up to exams office to make determination, not the supervisor or principal in this case. Most schools probably have a clause the students sign as part of their code of behaviour that phones can be confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Do we know for sure that she was listening to notes and not the exams questions that had been put on media for her as part of her academic support?
    Assuming she has a learning issue and has been granted permission to sit the exam in this format.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

But you can just set whatever files to delete once the device is turned on? If you want to make your device look totally innocent but have whatever you need to cheat on it, that can be done with Google and less than 30 mins work.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Do we know for sure that she was listening to notes and not the exams questions that had been put on media for her as part of her academic support?
    Assuming she has a learning issue and has been granted permission to sit the exam in this format.

If that were the case she would have been in a separate centre with her own superintendent and she wouldn't have been expected to download the paper - it would have been read to her by her superintendent

If that were the case she would have been in a separate centre with her own superintendent and she wouldn't have been expected to download the paper - it would have been read to her by her superintendent
    I always thought so, but last year one of mine was given an mp3 player type device and let listen to the exam in the same venue as her class. She says it helped her a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nulty18

In fairness can't paint all in one boat technically people cheat will not get away later in life when they have think for themselves

Not necessarily as not just learning difficulties people get separate centres there's a difference
    Nulty18 wrote: »
    Not necessarily as not just learning difficulties people get separate centres there's a difference
    And it would be more obvious for a start so dountil in special centre unless supervisor didon't want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Bredabe wrote: »

If this were the case, the student would be in a separate centre.

If this were the case, the student would be in a separate centre.
    Not in my experience, depending on the type of issue, some ppl go "mainstream" centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

Agree with this also. However the OP should just trust that SEC / the appropriate body, will do their job correctly to see that the girl gets appropriate punishment while they can jus continue to focus on exams. This will affect every leaving cert student, bar the one student who doesn't get the course because she was above them, equally. We are all as entitled as OP to see that the correct steps are taken. However, the girl also deserves to be treated fairly and to continue the rest of her exams without worrying about a (probably innocent) mistake.

Advertisement