Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheater in the Leaving Cert

Options
  • 13-06-2017 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Removed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Wow!
    First off procedure is for superintendent to file their report with the state exams commission - you won't ever personally be informed of the workings of it / outcome as it doesn't concern you personally but if you feel for some reason protocol isn't being followed I guess your best bet is to have a parent make a complaint to the sec ...but I would highly doubt this will be let slide. The phone should have bedn confiscated as far as i know. The student will be allowed sit her other exams and this will be investigated - I think the usual procedure is there is a mark put against their grade or the exam is disallowed- not sure exactly though

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leimmxvii

There's easier ways to cheat lol

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If she had to resort to that then chances are she's not going to do well anyway. So, focus on your own exams and leave her to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

Lot easier ways of cheating than listening to bio notes, could hardly imagine if she wanted to cheat that she'd sit there in the bathroom listening for a specific answer ... google would be ten times quicker and less suspicious. I'd say she was playing them in the car or something and forgot to give it in. Not something to ruin her whole LC about.

whether other people cheat or not, it doesn't really affect you. It has no bearing on your result or on the work you have done.
    So, just try to forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

bubblypop wrote: »
    whether other people cheat or not, it doesn't really affect you. It has no bearing on your result or on the work you have done.

The bell curve system and points system means that it does have a bearing on their result, and it does affect every other LC student, if other people cheat.

But as said above there's easier ways to cheat, and just because the OP is not being told anything doesn't mean its not being investigated, plus might be totally innocent mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

She was allowed to sit the exam with earphones on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

She will be allowed to continue her exam because that is protocol. But she won't get away with it. It will be reported and depending on the amount of proof that the superintendent has (in this case a lot!) the department make a decision. It is important that the student is allowed to continue their paper in the event of it being a case of the superintendent being mistaken in their assumption. Obviously in this case there is no doubt, but that is for the department to decide on. Not you, not the superintendent, and not your principal.

But it did have an affect, a complete disruption and distraction during an important exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It's none of your business the staff dealt with it, refocus on yourself and get back to study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If she had to resort to that then chances are she's not going to do well anyway. So, focus on your own exams and leave her to it.

Of course it has an effect. What about the people who could have missed out on their chosen college place by one or two spots and then you have people like this that get that spot ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Of course it has an effect. What about the people who could have missed out on their chosen college place by one or two spots and then you have people like this that get that spot ?

Who then drops out at the end of her first year coz she's not able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She was allowed to sit the exam with earphones on?
    Can't believe phones were allowed into the exam center.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As said a few times above, the fact that she is allowed to continue with her exams is no indication of anything whatsoever ... it is standard procedure.

The superintendent on the ground doesn't have the authority to make a determination one way or the other, their job is to gather all the facts and report to the SEC, who will investigate and make a determination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Who then drops out at the end of her first year coz she's not able for it.

How is that of any conciliation to the honest student who lost a place to a cheater?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Loads of people go in with their phones and don't mean any harm. Doubt she was cheating tbh. How could you stick in earphones like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Loads of people go in with their phones and don't mean any harm. Doubt she was cheating tbh. How could you stick in earphones like?

suppose you could run the wire up your sleeve and then pretend to use your hand to hold up your head

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

suppose you could run the wire up your sleeve and then pretend to use your hand to hold up your head

After sending a photo of the exam paper to an educated friend outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

It's ridiculously easy to cheat in the LC. I'd never do it, and havent heard of anyone in my school doing it, but who's to stop you going to the bathroom and cheating in there with a phone/book you left in there? No one in the school checks them. I'd say hundreds of students get away with cheating & do really well out of it each & every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Take it as the last lesson you'll get in school. People cheat, get away with it, and prosper from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MMEF2ZM/A/airpods

Wireless. Effortless. Magical.

AirPods will forever change the way you use headphones. Whenever you pull your AirPods out of the charging case, they instantly turn on and connect to your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad or Mac.(1) Audio automatically plays as soon as you put them in your ears and pauses when you take them out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lackey wrote: »
    How is that of any conciliation to the honest student who lost a place to a cheater?

It isn't. That is the point. It is a waste of a college place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

PBM1998 wrote: »
    So I am a student sitting my Leaving Cert and I was doing my biology exam today when the girl who was sitting beside me's phone went off as if earphones had been plugged out and it was blatantly playing biology notes aloud. The girl was told to leave the hall but the principal came in and the girl was shortly allowed back in to continue her exam and I was told she will be allowed to sit the rest of her Leaving Cert. I feel that this is completely unfair on all the rest of the students who are doing their exams honestly and I want something to be done about it. I feel as if I would be known as a rat for doing this but am disgusted at the same time. Anyone know who I can contact or what I should do?

The superintendent can't act as judge jury and executioner. There is a process. Im not sure what the process is but she gets to complete her paper before the investigation. Depending on the results of the investigation any action will take place at that point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Many people cheat during exams, most don't admit it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

tedpan wrote: »
    Many people cheat during exams, most don't admit it..

Continuing a long tradition in Fianna Faíl this lad did it and got away with it as far as I remember. True leadership right there.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/incoming-tcd-student-leader-admits-exam-cheating-1.1409732

http://thestar.ie/about-us/brian-lenihans-son-is-caught-cheating-in-college-test/

lots of people have cheated and got away with it.
    However in this girl's case I doubt she will. OP, just get on with your own exams and leave it to the examiners. It's really not your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

In fairness if she's cheating in biology, she probably needs every mark she can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

They seal her phone in a bag and it's sent away to be examined. It will be decided if the info on it gave her an unfair advantage in that particular exam. It will then be decided what to do by a commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ann22 wrote: »
    They seal her phone in a bag and it's sent away to be examined. It will be decided if the info on it gave her an unfair advantage in that particular exam. It will then be decided what to do by a commission.

It's the SEC, not CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Focus on yourself and maximise your own results rather than trying to get someone else punished for cheating. That other person is not your problem, let the inspectors deal with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

PBM1998 wrote: »
    So I am a student sitting my Leaving Cert and I was doing my biology exam today when the girl who was sitting beside me's phone went off as if earphones had been plugged out and it was blatantly playing biology notes aloud. The girl was told to leave the hall but the principal came in and the girl was shortly allowed back in to continue her exam and I was told she will be allowed to sit the rest of her Leaving Cert. I feel that this is completely unfair on all the rest of the students who are doing their exams honestly and I want something to be done about it. I feel as if I would be known as a rat for doing this but am disgusted at the same time. Anyone know who I can contact or what I should do?

pfft amateur

Advertisement