Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rahillion, Donabate - New build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭denisstack

singita wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering usually what is the length of time between snagging and moving in?

thanks

Ballisk told me 3 weeks. Not at that point ourselves yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pdbeighty1

raja_s wrote: »
    Hi Jester,

I am on crescent too. Snagging most likely to happen early May.

Hi did you get that update recently? I spoke to someone last week and they were concerned about the ESB issues impacting the crescent too! He was talking about June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 raja_s

Pdbeighty1 wrote: »
    raja_s wrote: »
    Hi Jester,

I am on crescent too. Snagging most likely to happen early May.

Hi did you get that update recently? I spoke to someone last week and they were concerned about the ESB issues impacting the crescent too! He was talking about June.
    Yes, Got May snagging from the Foreman last week.

good news thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CiaraB85

Hi All! Just a question for anyone who has already snagged! We are hoping to snag our house on the Drive in the next couple of weeks and we are looking for recommendations. Did you use a QS if so who did you use and how long did the snag take?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 alexey

Hi, we did partial snaggin last Friday (Apr 6, Drive 36).

What could I say...
    As no ESB connection so far, hence: water, heating were not inspected as well as backyard was not ready that time. Roof and attic were not inspected as retractable ladder was not provided.

We've done snagging by ourselves running over very detailed list and found many issues that has to be done, mostly:
    - doors (it is nightmare - very badly finished and fitted with scratches and cracks),
    - painting and decoration (pain.... who does painting after wc and switches/sockets fitted :), as a consequence: plaster and paint is everywhere and unpainted spots behind toilet and around architraves).
    - stairs with scratches/cracks and varnishing gaps.
    - windows sills - sanding and repainting needed.
    - electrical stuff - some switches were misconfigured and some sockets badly fixed.
    - floor - uneven in ground WC and in living room near the window.
    - exterior - filling required in some places

So... I am sure that some customers even does not pay attention on issues we found :) but we are very thorough ones :)
    Still waiting news from Foreman regarding ESB and estimated time to get issues fixed. It is unlikely to move in in 3 weeks...

P.S.
    I can share our snagging list and report if needed :) - just let me know.

P.P.S
    I hope someone from Ballisk are reading forum and will apply all efforts and do their best to get houses of their customers ready in better condition and make them happier :)

Best regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

fair play sharing all that, if you are paying all this money for a new house you have to be thorough.

Please share everything, it will help us all keep an eye on issues,

Really sounds like a sloppy job though

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BWT

jester1980 wrote: »
    fair play sharing all that, if you are paying all this money for a new house you have to be thorough.

Please share everything, it will help us all keep an eye on issues,

Really sounds like a sloppy job though

For the amount of money we are all handing over this annoys me.
    I would have hoped for a more professional finish. Let’s hope this is a once off. Please keep posting so we can all put pressure on the developers if we need too.
    This is ominous of the days of the boom, where the developers left builders away with sub par finishes so they could get as many finished as fast as possible.

Thanks for your reply Alexey! It’s actually disappointing to hear there were so many issues with your snag and I’m sure all the houses are in the same boat! We spoke with the builder yesterday looking for dates and they reckon now mid May before we will be ready for snagging! If you could send on your full snag report that would be great so we know exactly where to look when we eventually do ours! ciara.byrne1405@gmail.com

Also does anybody know the exact problem with the ESB? All we are being told is there is a problem but no details given!

CiaraB85 wrote: »
    We spoke with the builder yesterday looking for dates and they reckon now mid May before we will be ready for snagging! !

Ciara, are you guys Drive or Crescent?

• Advertisement

Jester we are the last house on the Drive no 42!

ok thanks, ill prob add an extra month on to my crescent date of june so, ha

Hopefully we will all be in soon!! Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 11 November16

Hi all,

I thought I would share our experience in light of the recent posts above. We intended to share this in the thread at the time, but to be honest we were just so annoyed about the whole situation that we just wanted to forget about it and move on. However, we found this thread so helpful and turned to it many times so I understand that some of you might appreciate to hear about it.

We had a deposit paid on a house on the drive that was due to be ready to move in March/April. We paid the 10% deposit and signed contracts the week before Christmas. Before we signed the contracts, we visited the house we were purchasing and noticed four things in the house that we felt were not right. When our solicitor was returning our signed contracts, we asked our Solicitor to note the four things and request that they fix them for us.

Ballisk agreed that they would fix three out of the four items listed. The one they wouldn’t agree to fix was the one that was most important to us and the most costly for us to fix –the tiles in the bathroom. In our opinion, the tiling in the main bathroom was not to the standard we expected for a house of this price. The response from Ballisk was basically that if they fixed for one, they would have to fix for all as all bathrooms were tiled the same. To us, that sounded like they agreed the tiling wasn’t up to standard yet they weren’t willing to fix it?

When we first viewed the showhouse, we asked Ballisk why these houses are more expensive than similar new builds in Donabate. While he said they didn’t know how much similar houses were priced at, he said the houses in Rahillion will be finished to the highest standard and basically that you will get what you pay for. When we were debating with Ballisk about the tiles, we referred to this conversation and told them that in our opinion the bathroom tiles were not to this ‘high standard’.

After a few phones calls back and forth, Ballisk phoned my partner on a Friday afternoon in January (approx. one month after we returned the contracts and paid the deposit) to say they were not willing to budge on the matter and basically told us that we can take it or leave it and that they can return our deposit no problem. We replied by saying we are going to talk to some of the other residents to see what their opinion on the matter is, i.e. discuss it on this thread on boards. Ballisk took this comment as a threat and told my partner that they would not sell the house to people like us and said something along the lines that my partner was the worst person he’s ever dealt with in his experience of selling houses. So they phoned their Solicitor and cancelled our contract, just like that!

I also had a conversation with Ballisk after my partner as I couldn’t believe what was after happening. He reiterated his grievances with us and told me they were builders of integrity and that somehow we were undermining this integrity?! They told me that if I emailed him and basically begged them to sell the house to us and only deal with me going forward that they would re-consider it. I couldn’t quite believe it. They were the ones in the wrong, yet they had turned it around on us and made it personal and I had to go begging for the house back?! As someone said above, it feels like it has gone back to the way it was during the boom. No accountability because there’s someone next in line who is willing to buy the house.

I think they had the house marketed for sale the following day and I gathered from this thread that someone paid a booking deposit that Saturday, I could be wrong but I thought there was only one or two houses on the drive left at that stage.

We were very fortunate that we didn’t have any furniture bought, we live rent free with family and don’t have children so we weren’t greatly impacted by it. I know from reading this thread that many of you are renting and have your children enrolled in local schools and had something like this happened to you, you might have been forced to just accept it the way it was.

From our perspective, we were making a huge investment of €495k and we expected the house to be perfect, just like what we were sold that day we first viewed. You might think we overreacted over just bathroom tiles but as I said it was a huge investment for us and it was the principle of the matter. While we were so disappointed at the time, looking back now we see it a blessing in disguise.

Hi.. What was the issue with the bathroom tiles??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 November16

Pdbeighty1 wrote: »
    Hi.. What was the issue with the bathroom tiles??

Basically the wrong size of tile was selected considering the demensions of the room and the bath in our opinion. So the result is you are left with a small thinly cut tile finished off at the corners. Which is not very aesthetically pleasing and just looks sloppy.

We spoke to and showed pictures of it to a number of tilers and a tile supplier who all agreed it was not right. Although it was the wrong size tile to begin with they all told us there was a number of ways it could have been tiled to make it look better than it does.

There was no compromising with them. We asked if they would take it off and redo it or take it off and leave it slabbed so we could do it ourselves and they wouldn’t agree to either.

Ive not snagged my place yet so cant comment on the quality of the tiling, but that seems like a no win situation for everyone, must have been awful to go through..

Ive never heard of a builder ripping up tiling that was already done for free to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sb12

Thanks for your post.

That is very alarming indeed. Like yourselves we were promised our house would be finished to the highest of standards and i will expect no less.

When we are paying over 455k for a house, amateur workmanship is simply not acceptable.

We have bought in the cresent and are due for snag in the next 8 to 10 weeks.

Thanks again for your post, i will now be extra vigilant on my snag, but also must give the builder the benefit of the doubt till proven otherwise.

I hope you ended up getting the house you are happy with.

Cheers
    SB

Hi,

Sure, I do clear understand that there can be some issues with house finishing, with terms, with supplying materials... etc.
    And to be honest, I have never met in my life, that house was finished in terms agreed in contract and with no issues in snagging list.

The only thing - how much builder is ready and willing to resolve issues and negotiate any questions with costumer - matters.

So, lets see.
    Don't be shy to share you thoughts and snag reports here :)

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sineadch12

jester1980 wrote: »
    ok thanks, ill prob add an extra month on to my crescent date of june so, ha
    Hi Jester. We’re also near the end of the Crescent and were told end May to snag & then close in June...... Doesn’t seem likely though!

• Advertisement

Good day for everyone.

I hope, I have a great news for all of us.
    Yesterday, I've got a call from "Balisk Homes" and we had a long and very productive talk.

I am happy to share with you, that Ballisk reads our forum and is aware of all questions have been raised over here.
    They assured me, that they will take care of all issues we found and will do their best to finish all houses in the Highest Standard.

Ballisk are very open for dialog and should you have any questions do not hesitate to reach out to them or bring questions up over this forum.

Lets see and I hope their promise comes true.

Best regards,

Great to hear and i expected this.. ive found them great to deal with myself.

Both of the lads have been really sound to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LMBG16

We are currently living in Rahillion. Yes there were a few items on the snag list but they all got fixed by the builder straight away. The foreman has been excellent and always available. The houses are very well built and so energy efficient. We handly ever have our heating on. I can recommend Thornton’s for snagging and they bring their own ladder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sineadch12

Great! Thanks Alexey. All the best everyone.
    alexey wrote: »
    Good day for everyone.

Yesterday, I've got a call from "Balisk Homes" and we had a long and very productive talk.

I am happy to share with you, that Ballisk reads our forum and is aware of all questions have been raised over here.
    They assured me, that they will take care of all issues we found and will do their best to finish all houses in the Highest Standard.

Ballisk are very open for dialog and should you have any questions do not hesitate to reach out to them or bring questions up over this forum.

Best regards,

alexey wrote: »
    Good day for everyone.

Best regards,

That's fantastic news and really good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

Whats service companies have Rahillion residents signed up to? We're moving in this weekend and looking to switch or move accounts to our new address?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Jacdub

You lucky things. Best of luck with the move. All going to plan, we will be joining you in two weeks. Sky is moving with us and upc or virgin media have yet to confirm availability in th area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Min89

Just wondering what people have been told about which broadband providers are in the area? I was just told by virgin media that they are not servicing the area at the moment. Thinking of going with sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dcresham

Min89 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people have been told about which broadband providers are in the area? I was just told by virgin media that they are not servicing the area at the moment. Thinking of going with sky.
    If you check https://www.eir.ie/broadband/ you'll see whats available speed wise or if active yet. Sky/Voda/Eir run off the same lines and putting one of the active addresses into the above will tell you if the lines are enabled. Unless someone who's already living in Rahillion can advise. 
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 elliot895

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for blinds and security alarms for the house? Hoping to move in early next week!

Advertisement