Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten obscure radio presenters thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Karl Tsigdinos had a music show on Today FM some years back, I've heard little from him since apart from some TV work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Karl Tsigdinos had a music show on Today FM some years back, I've heard little from him since apart from some TV work.

Karl Tsigdinos was part of the original lineup on 4FM in 2009, presenting a rock and roll show once a week. In recent years, he has been on Dublin City FM. In the last year, he has been added to RTE Gold's schedule, presenting his old program from Today FM - The River of Soul. So, I would say he is no longer "forgotten and obscure"!

Again, in reference to Barry Lang, he may well have been forgotten, having left the airwaves for quite some time, but there is no way he could be described as obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

He does the 3am-5.30 show on Gold/Radio 1 sometimes.

Who were you referring to? Michael Cahill is the only presenter that does that RTE Gold slot?

Here are a few more random names from pirates for the list - people I had some connections with.

DJ T - Radio Caroline (the north Dublin pirate - not the offshore one!) in the '90s - someone I knew.

Tony - Radio Dublin in 1988 - he did the "graveyard" shift on weekends - I only knew about him and his program because I knew the guy in question for a long time!

Brendan Kilkenny - the following pirates during the '90s: Radio Dublin, Heartbeat FM and Choice FM (from Cabra - no connection to later temp. license station in the '00s). Outside of radio, he did have a bit of a profile with his social clubs and his brief, but bizarre, appearances, on talent shows here and in the U.K.! I came across him at social functions - we had mutual connections - but I don't believe I ever spoke to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Grady Boyd

Derek Hi Hi Hi Flood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Kevin Brannigan in the late eighties forget the name of the Dublin pirate radio station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Kevin Brannigan in the late eighties forget the name of the Dublin pirate radio station.

He's the controller of Radio Nova!

5rtytry56 wrote: »

Kevin Brannigan is hardly forgotten and obscure! Anyway, he hasn't gone away being CEO of Radio Nova!

I'm aware of at least two pirates he was involved with in the late '80s: Radio Dublin and his own station Signal Radio. Of course, he also was active in the first half of the '90s with NSR (his own station), Kiss FM (think that was partly his as well) and Pulse FM.

After the pirates, Kevin was involved with East Coast FM and FM104. Then, he had his temporary licensed stations - Choice FM and 949 The Rock, and more recently The Rock (949 was for Dublin and The Rock was for various places outside Radio Nova's catchment area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

An obscure one -

Tony King - co presented Saturday sports with Declan King (not related to each other) on Sunshine Radio.

They had a school kid "helping" them out. :D

What about presenters who had a primetime slot for a time before fading into oblivion ? A name that comes to mind is Damien McCaul, he did the 2fm breakfast show for 2 years was moved to weekends to make room for Tubs and was quietly dropped altogether after a time.

• Advertisement

Grady Boyd wrote: »
    What about presenters who had a primetime slot for a time before fading into oblivion ? A name that comes to mind is Damien McCaul, he did the 2fm breakfast show for 2 years was moved to weekends to make room for Tubs and was quietly dropped altogether after a time.

He was Ray D'Arcy's replacement on the Den also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Mark Byrne. I remember him being on Today FM before they recruited Ian Dempsey. He was on Atlantic 252 before that I think.

Mark Byrne. I remember him being on Today FM before they recruited Ian Dempsey. He was on Atlantic 252 before that I think.

Like Barry Lang he became a pilot too, he did a bit of weekend and cover work for 4fm in their early days.

Grady Boyd wrote: »
    Like Barry Lang he became a pilot too, he did a bit of weekend and cover work for 4fm in their early days.

He has popped up on Non Stop 90s in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

Remember Eamon Keane who used to do lunchtime on newstalk ? He had a pretty high media profile at the time. Now he is on local radio down in Waterford.

Remember Eamon Keane who used to do lunchtime on newstalk ? He had a pretty high media profile at the time. Now he is on local radio down in Waterford.

Yep, an (then) unknown girl called Laura Whitmore used to work as researcher on his Newstalk show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Reminds me of Gerry Wilson, whatever happened to him? I only know him from his late night show on 2FM I think it was, sorta a precursor to the other late night phone shows but amongst the music he had people calling in with various stories, usually lighthearted. I believe he's a voice over artist, but did he just drop out of broadcasting altogether?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Reminds me of Gerry Wilson, whatever happened to him? I only know him from his late night show on 2FM I think it was, sorta a precursor to the other late night phone shows but amongst the music he had people calling in with various stories, usually lighthearted. I believe he's a voice over artist, but did he just drop out of broadcasting altogether?

Gerry Wilson has been involved with Christmas FM the last couple of years. He also was a presenter on another temporary licensed station some years ago - 949 The Rock (the precursor to Radio Nova). He has been mentioned already on this thread if you look back. By the way, after 2FM, he presented on Lite FM briefly and was part of the original lineup of Dublin's Country 106.8 about 15 years ago (now called Sunshine 106.8).

As I said before in this thread, I would not consider him as obscure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In fairness I didn't say he was obscure, his name just popped into my head when I saw the thread pop back to the front page so thought no place like here to ask about him.

• Advertisement

Phat Dick wrote: »

Great schedule there, with some surprises, like Mike Moloney filling in for Larry on the Top 30.

6 hour live overnight shifts on 2FM !

Great schedule there, with some surprises, like Mike Moloney filling in for Larry on the Top 30.

6 hour live overnight shifts on 2FM !
    And John Clarke on BHM breakfast. Interesting.

1990, feck me I wasn't born for another nearly four years!

And John Clarke on BHM breakfast. Interesting.

JC was on Bank Hol late breakfast (mid morning) as recent as the morning Tubridy started The Full Irish in 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Paul Vincent - a mainstay of the old Sunshine Radio even before it became "hot hits"

Wonder where he is now?

Probably about 65 years old.

Think he went into the animal food business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just listening to him, God he really is unbearable. Exactly the same as on Newstalk. Melodramatic bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Clare McKeon. Had a show on FM104 in the nineties. Moved to RTE TV and had a chat show with Cynthia Ni Mhurchu. Just disappeared after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Koloman wrote: »
    Clare McKeon. Had a show on FM104 in the nineties. Moved to RTE TV and had a chat show with Cynthia Ni Mhurchu. Just disappeared after that.

The last I heard she was off writing books. I think she had trained as a barrister at some stage but I could be wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Bob Gallico R.I.P. 2013

Bob Gallico R.I.P. 2013

Bob is neither forgotten or obscure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

barrera wrote: »
    Siobhan Walls, Century Radio. Fabulous late night presenter - left the ship before it sank, and I believe went off to be a continuity announcer with RTE2 (Network 2 as was) and then disappeared without trace - any clue?

I could have sworn I heard her one Saturday night on KFM a couple of years ago, but the presenter never identified herself.

Turned up on Near FM today
    http://nearfm.ie/podcast/?p=25481

Advertisement