Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten obscure radio presenters thread

Options
  • 12-06-2017 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

It used to happen that a presenter would pop up on an national station but quickly disappear and never be heard again, some examples I can remember, Anna Santina = a young girl who did a once a eweek overnight show on 2fm about 30 years ago... Jay Ahern = an American guy with a great radio voice who did a late night Sunday indie show on 2fm in the early 00s... Susanne McReyonalds = popped up one summer in the mid 00s on RTE Radio 1 filling in for Marion, was never mentioned again. Anyone else have any examples ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

There are loads of examples.
    Even more examples of longer term presenters who were never heard on the radio again!.

I remember Anna Santina alright, around 1990 - 1991. Part of overnights.

Jay Ahern took over the album show from John Clarke and briefly Mike Moloney when John become head of 2FM / take over the biggest jukebox from Simon Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Many of the examples that I can think of come from Dublin pirate stations.
    So, I will kick off with them. I will only list the stations that I heard them on.

- Al Graham - 90s pirates Coast FM, Spectrum and Phantom - the latter going into the '00s.

- John Jetsson (real name Derek Peele I think) - 90s pirates Spectrum and Phantom - the latter going into the '00s, but think I heard him on Alcatraz before those.

- Pete de Fries - heard him on Coast FM and possibly Alcatraz.

- Paul Russell? - Coast FM

- Stephen Lewis (real name Stephen Ryan) Ken Regis, Jason King, Conor Brooks, Neil Hayes, a guy with a folk music show and a female presenter I only heard once - all on Capitol Radio in the 1980s'. Stephen Ryan did pretty well for himself in the U.K. but he would be pretty obscure to radio listeners here.

- Jeff Collins (real name Ollie Dowling) - heard him on '90s pirate Power FM, although I believe he would be more associated with Jazz FM ('90s and '00s).

- Christian Coates - Club FM in the mid '90s.

- Miles Long (!) - Hot 107 in the mid '90s

It is that bit harder to be on licensed radio and to be obscure, but I will try.

- Derek Peele (see above) - Dublin South FM

- Mike Williams - Premier FM (temporary licenses)

- Brian Wilson - Premier FM (temporary licenses)

- Denis Wilson - Premier FM (temporary licenses) - he was even more obscure than Brian if that makes sense! Brian had previously been with pirate Radio Caroline.

Getting into national radio and commercial radio, I cannot think of any that could be classified under the thread heading. If I think of any examples of these or above, I will be back again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Former 2FM drivetime presenter Barry Lang who moved to Dubai and became an airline pilot. Does he count?

I remember Anna Santina alright, around 1990 - 1991. Part of overnights.

Looks like she is on Twitter! Going by the name "Anna Acciarini".

There are a good few that had national shows maybe went elsewhere to local radio or some other related industry and are not heard on the radio now...not even on Temp stations....for example Andy Ruane, Paul Scanlon....you could possibly add Anton Savage to this list!

But think the OP is looking for presenters who had a very brief and promising spell on national radio and were never heard again on the radio for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Ken Stewart (Ken's Club) on RTÉ R1 in the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭bureau2009

When RTE Radio 2 started Paul Blanchfield had a show. Back then this was major but he just disappeared.

Ciana Campbell worked for a few years on Radio 2 - one of the very first female DJs I reckon.

Radio Dublin - a Gerry Jones had a very popular phone in requests show. Also DJ Lee.

Many many others also.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭barrera

Siobhan Walls, Century Radio. Fabulous late night presenter - left the ship before it sank, and I believe went off to be a continuity announcer with RTE2 (Network 2 as was) and then disappeared without trace - any clue?

I could have sworn I heard her one Saturday night on KFM a couple of years ago, but the presenter never identified herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

barrera wrote: »
    Siobhan Walls, Century Radio. Fabulous late night presenter - left the ship before it sank, and I believe went off to be a continuity announcer with RTE2 (Network 2 as was) and then disappeared without trace - any clue?

I could have sworn I heard her one Saturday night on KFM a couple of years ago, but the presenter never identified herself.

http://siobhanwalls.com/about/

There was a Grace Waller on 2FM a few years ago. She covered a few slots but hasn't been on in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Former 2FM drivetime presenter Barry Lang who moved to Dubai and became an airline pilot. Does he count?

He certainly does count.

He's the first one that pops into my head when I see these types of threads.

May even have been one of the original Radio 2 DJs back in '78.

I always thought he left in the '80s but by all accounts he was around till the turn of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

bureau2009 wrote: »

Ciana Campbell worked for a few years on Radio 2 - one of the very first female DJs
    Ciana Campbell has been living in Ennis, Co. Clare for the last 20 years, she works as a PR Consultant these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Suzanne Duffy - Radio 2/2FM '80s/'90s - wonder whatever happened to her...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Suzanne Duffy - Radio 2/2FM '80s/'90s - wonder whatever happened to her...

She went into writing chick-lit novels and goes by her married name... Suzanne Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ken Stewart (Ken's Club) on RTÉ R1 in the 70s

Is he still around/alive?

I don't think Barry Lang, Anton Savage, Suzanne Duffy or Ken Stewart count because they are certainly not obscure and in the case of Anton it's a bit soon to be talking about forgotten!

Here's another name that might qualify for this list: Derek Jones. I heard him on Premier FM and Christmas FM. Despite decades of pirate radio experience, he would not be well-known outside the Dublin radio scene, and probably just north Dublin at that!

Here's another name that might qualify for this list: Derek Jones. I heard him on Premier FM and Christmas FM. Despite decades of pirate radio experience, he would not be well-known outside the Dublin radio scene, and probably just north Dublin at that!

I'm a Northsider... And I've never heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Was a big fan of Aidan Leonard back in the early 90s. Think he was on Century or Atlantic 252?

Was a big fan of Aidan Leonard back in the early 90s. Think he was on Century or Atlantic 252?

2FM as well. i think he is on RTE Gold nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,694 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

There was a guy who used to DJ very briefly on 2fm last year called Larry Gogan.

Not heard from him since. :pac: :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Gerry Wilson was part of my youth on 2FM in the 90s. I think I had just got a radio alarm clock so used to listen to him in bed at night.

May not have been the originator but he was the forerunner to Adrian Kennedy. It was late night phone in.

I remember people used to ring in and swear on air which, naturally, was absolutely hilarious.

There was a guy who used to DJ very briefly on 2fm last year called Larry Gogan.

Not heard from him since. :pac: :pac: :D

Does Larry have a son called Gerard who was also a presenter on 2FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

for example Andy Ruane.

Ya, Andy Ruane moved behind the scenes and has his own production company named after his famous catchphrase "Like it, love it" productions.

His company used to do that music video show on TG4 with the people walking by the window. Eoghan McDermott presented it at one stage, and another Irish lassie with amazing eyes.

tinpib wrote: »
    Eoghan McDermott presented it at one stage

The rest is history!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

2FM as well. i think he is on RTE Gold nowadays

Ah really? Good to know, thanks.

... dang, I am old enough for the Gold stations now?! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

tinpib wrote: »
    Gerry Wilson was part of my youth on 2FM in the 90s. I think I had just got a radio alarm clock so used to listen to him in bed at night.

May not have been the originator but he was the forerunner to Adrian Kennedy. It was late night phone in.

I remember people used to ring in and swear on air which, naturally, was absolutely hilarious.

Very distinct voice, I remember him from way back as well, don't think he was on 2fm though then. Still hear him on some radio adverts, used to be on B&Q a few years ago, might still be actually, just haven't heard any.

KReid wrote: »
    Very distinct voice, I remember him from way back as well, don't think he was on 2fm though then. Still hear him on some radio adverts, used to be on B&Q a few years ago, might still be actually, just haven't heard any.

Gerry Wilson was definitely 2FM, he had a late night show called World Web Radio in the late 90s where people could e-mail him stuff. To this day I remember someone sent him 8MB of WAV files and it was massive at the time.

Gerry Wilson was part of the original overnight schedule from 1988 and was with 2FM up to 2001.

'world web radio' was at the time 2fm stopped doing live overnights and this was the recorded replacement at the time the internet was getting being promoted in rte around 1999.

Other shows he presented were:

'Dial-a-Number one' on saturday lunchtime in early 90s (a 'hotline' type show for oldies, the list was in the RTE guide)

'Get it off your chest' in early 90s (the late night phone in 10pm - midnight weeknights , it was very mild stuff not on the level of the current radio phone in's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Ah really? Good to know, thanks.

... dang, I am old enough for the Gold stations now?! :eek::eek:

He does the 3am-5.30 show on Gold/Radio 1 sometimes.

Advertisement