Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topaz nicked me money the bowsies.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

....... wrote:

Happens all the time. Take it from someone who worked in a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

....... wrote:

....... wrote:

Worked in a filling station/shop can confirm the guards will take the details and inform the person they "forgot" to pay, whenever they disputed the facts they told us we had to seek legal advice as it was now a civil matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

....... wrote: »

The gardaí most certainly follow up on drive offs, and do so regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Radical Dawg

They do - seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Why it's legal tender.
    Even when they got rid of 1c and 2c I'm pretty sure you can still use them.

The receiver is only legally obliged accept a certain number of coins.....I think it's about 50 coins. Legal tender, or not, it's a d1ck of thing to do to some poor sod working minimum wage at a till.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

That's why i don't use those prepay machines anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

goz83 wrote: »
    The receiver is only legally obliged accept a certain number of coins.....I think it's about 50 coins. Legal tender, or not, it's a d1ck of thing to do to some poor sod working minimum wage at a till.

trust me i wish this is the way it worked out, happened a few times in shops ive been in over the years.

you explain all this to the donkeys and in the end they just plop the bag of unsorted metal on the counter with "its all there".

and if you think gardai are slow to deal with a drive off, imagine

hi officer someone just payed there bill with over the accepted amount of coin.

you are of course correct in what you say, it just dosent stack up in reality is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

cash is king

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anyway, because of the dispute it's a civil matter. The OP has paid the 45 quid, so he won't have stolen anything.

Incorrect. The OP's bank has put an authorisation hold on the €65, which hasn't left and won't leave their bank account. €20 will actually be debited when the transaction is finalised.

The garage hasn't received any money yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

If that is the case I shall never pay for fuel again.

Yeah, we'll just intend to.

That's why i don't use those prepay machines anymore

Don't understand why people do, just laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah, we'll just intend to.

I wonder if it works for jewellery too!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It had nothing to do with my bank. Topaz took the €65 pre-auth or whatever. I had the cleared funds and like I said, it showed up on my statement. The problem, is that Topaz pump stopped arbitrarily at €20 worth of dispensed fuel. That is Topaz, nothing to do with the bank.

You prepaid €65 and got €20. Why and how is irrelevant to the computers.
    You have 2 choices here. Either wait a few days for your money or kick up a stink at Topaz and your bank and wait a few weeks for your money while they slowly work through your complaint.
    Life is tough, wait a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Most places with a prepay pump have signs up about pre-authorisation. It basically "holds" the amount you put in so the company can be sure it's there at the end of transaction (eg a lot of hotels do it too to be sure the funds are there to cover the first night's stay if the guest doesn't show up). If your tank is too full, the pump runs out or, as in your case, glitches, they only take the amount they actually dispensed and the bank "unfreezes" the rest. The garage never actually got the money - the bank takes 3 or 4 days to clear it.

It's seriously annoying, esp if you really need that money/fuel, but there's really nothing the garage can do. They don't have it to give it back, and you probably implicitly agreed to the preauthorisation by completing the transaction. The banks should really be regulated on this and forced to clear preauths quicker. (Doesn't excuse rudeness from the garage staff, mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

pilly wrote:

It's for conscience not laziness. Few kids in car, makes more sense than taking all kids out and into shop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Convenience and speed.

Since most petrol stations have turned into mini-marts, pay at pump is much less hassle than queueing behind 12 people stocking up on frozen dinners, Doritos and rizzla.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Revolver Ireland

Bit presumptuous tbh. In my case, I had just come from playing a football match in a monsoon, so was absolutely dripping wet. Believe it or not, I was being considerate of the shop staff who would likely have to mop up the water dripping off me. I'm sure there are plenty other reasons if you bothered thinking, no need to queue, kids in the car that you don't want to leave unattended or have to unbuckle one by one then buckle back in one by one.

Just as I suspected, Topaz are now denying that anything happenned. They said I must have stopped pumping at €20, not their fault. Oh, and yesterday they took the €20, and the €65 is still frozen until Thursday. So I'm down €85, with €20 worth of petrol. Ridiculous carry on. They just keep denying and evading their failure to deliver the fuel and reverting to 'Its the bank'. I keep telling them, I have no issue with the bank freezing the €65 if Topaz had have delivered that value of fuel, so now they are just reverting to, 'Oh well WE cant find any fault'. Muppets. Jaysis, I just wanted to fill my car Topaz!!:):confused::)

I don't know how many people have to tell you that the problem is with the time it takes banks to release a pre-auth.

Have you actually been on to your bank?

I don't know how many people have to tell you that the problem is with the time it takes banks to release a pre-auth.

Have you actually been on to your bank?

And I don't know how many times I need to correct them. The issue is with Topaz equipment arbitrarily stopping at €20 after pre-authorising €65 on my card. My bank did not just decide to pre-auth 65 quid did they? I used a piece of Topaz equipment, correctly, and it failed to do what it was supposed to do as it arbitrarily stopped at €20 worth of fuel after 'pre-auth' €65. Thats a Topaz issue, and I'm surprised some are finding it hard to see that.

And I don't know how many times I need to correct them. The issue is with Topaz equipment arbitrarily stopping at €20 after pre-authorising €65 on my card. My bank did not just decide to pre-auth 65 quid did they? I used a piece of Topaz equipment, correctly, and it failed to do what it was supposed to do as it arbitrarily stopped at €20 worth of fuel after 'pre-auth' €65. Thats a Topaz issue, and I'm surprised some are finding it hard to see that.

Ah sure look, carry on so. It's not getting you very far though is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

jcd5971 wrote: »
    they just plop the bag of unsorted metal on the counter with "its all there".

and if you think gardai are slow to deal with a drive off, imagine

hi officer someone just payed there bill with over the accepted amount of coin.
    Until payment has been accepted, payment hasn't been made. So your call to the Gardai would be about non-payment.

Ah sure look, carry on so. It's not getting you very far though is it?

It certainly isn't. That's rather the point. It has provided a valuable lesson as well as turning into some entertainment looking at the hilariously evasive responses though. Even responses here from Internet strangers like yourself provide a level of education and entertainment. While some see the issue, some struggle to, others obviously have low expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Maxol have an explanation of the process here.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Maxol have an explanation of the process here.

Yeah, since all of this happened I've been looking into it, and reading all the explanations here. Ridiculous system tbh, but the power the banks have I'm not surprised. On this occasion though, I would have expected Topaz to take responsibility for their part in this, I.E. They pre aut my card for €65 but only gave me €20 worth of fuel. The Pre-Auth would have been fine if I had been given the petrol. TBH, my only hope now is that there are no more systemic failures, and that the €65 just unfreezes on Thursday and thats the end of it.

Advertisement