Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo's financial results for this quarter.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131e.pdf

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-fy3-2019-3rd-quarter-earnings-release-supplemental-information-top-selling-titles.96754/

They've sold 14.5 million Switch's thus far, so they need another 5.5 in this quarter to reach the 20 million target. They've reduced their target for the following year to 17 million.

I should also point out that the Switch came pretty close to surpassing lifetime sales of the N64, 32.27 million versus 32.93 million. That'll be one of the headlines next quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

Am i reading that right that Smash ultimate has already outsold BOTW on Switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

And MK8 more than Mario Odyssey.

All hail the ports, long live the ports

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Grassey wrote: »
    And MK8 more than Mario Odyssey.

All hail the ports, long live the ports

Dublin-Port-Masterplan.jpg

109530479_e038cd8aa5.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement

plibige wrote: »
    Am i reading that right that Smash ultimate has already outsold BOTW on Switch?

Well BOTW is a port and SSBU was built upon the Wii U game.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Hi All,

Need your advice, thinking of buying a 2nd hand switch. The one i have seen has 5 games but they are all digital copies

My understanding is that games cannot be transferred to another profile so I would need to get the login details of the person I am buying from. They would obviously delete their credit card info etc from the profile. Can they change their profiles email address over to my email address? The reason I ask is after I buy the console , they will have the ability to reset the password & then I will be left with no games

Has anyone bought a switch using the above scenario before & whats the best workaround to ensure I can hold on to the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hi All,

Need your advice, thinking of buying a 2nd hand switch. The one i have seen has 5 games but they are all digital copies

My understanding is that games cannot be transferred to another profile so I would need to get the login details of the person I am buying from. They would obviously delete their credit card info etc from the profile. Can they change their profiles email address over to my email address? The reason I ask is after I buy the console , they will have the ability to reset the password & then I will be left with no games

Has anyone bought a switch using the above scenario before & whats the best workaround to ensure I can hold on to the games?

You need the account, no other way around it, so just make sure you have all the login details.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

chrislad wrote: »
    You need the account, no other way around it, so just make sure you have all the login details.

Thanks for the info, I wonder can the person I am buying it off change their email address to mine so i can get full control of it in case I ever need to reset password down the line or as its a stranger I'm buying from , to stop them pullling a fast one & changing the password once i have it bought?

Thanks for the info, I wonder can the person I am buying it off change their email address to mine so i can get full control of it in case I ever need to reset password down the line or as its a stranger I'm buying from , to stop them pullling a fast one & changing the password once i have it bought?

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27006/~/how-to-change-your-nintendo-account-e-mail-address

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    Well BOTW is a port and SSBU was built upon the Wii U game.

Not sure how that is relevant to what I said?

plibige wrote: »
    Not sure how that is relevant to what I said?

It was in reference to the port comments. And I consider both games to be ports, particularly BOTW. SSBU is a significant upgrade but it's not entirely new.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It was in reference to the port comments. And I consider both games to be ports, particularly BOTW. SSBU is a significant upgrade but it's not entirely new.

Smash is not a port. This nonsense needs to stop. I think the actual meaning of a 'port' gets conveniently forgotten to try and score cheap, inaccurate points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

Corholio wrote: »
    Smash is not a port. This nonsense needs to stop. I think the actual meaning of a 'port' gets conveniently forgotten to try and score cheap, inaccurate points.

Did we ever get to see the source code?

Is the definition of a port not that it was designed for a particular system and had to be converted to run on another platform?

I don't see how you could say BOTW (a launch title for the switch) is a port when it was not out any earlier on any other platform. Development happened so that it came out at launch on the switch.

You wouldn't call call of duty an xbox port or playstation port. Both systems get it.

And calling ssbu a port is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ah, come on now, we know how the little scamp operates, let us rise above it, enjoy the often excellent and useful posts, and laugh with gay abandon at the dross ones.

My Axiom Verge multiverse for the Switch arrived yesterday, lovely little booklet with it, haven't watched the dvd or listened to the tunes yet (they both came in cardboard sleeves). Pleased with it though, it'll gather dust nicely I'm sure.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My Axiom Verge multiverse for the Switch arrived yesterday, lovely little booklet with it, haven't watched the dvd or listened to the tunes yet (they both came in cardboard sleeves). Pleased with it though, it'll gather dust nicely I'm sure.

A very good special edition for the price.

A large portion of the proceeds go towards the creator's son's care too.

Nintendo stock falls 9.3% over lower Switch console sales target

https://www.ft.com/content/094c2cc8-25e6-11e9-8ce6-5db4543da632

Nintendo are making Dr Mario World for mobile, targeting early Summer 2019 release. There's more information on Nintendo's Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Financial Results Briefing below:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190201_2e.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Nintendo are making Dr Mario World for mobile, targeting early Summer 2019 release. There's more information on Nintendo's Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Financial Results Briefing below:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190201_2e.pdf

So essentially another match 3 puzzler for mobiles? Has the Candy Crush bubble not burst yet?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

BotW for the Switch certainly took everything about the WiiU game and saw it moved to the new console, but as they released both of them at the same time, they don't exactly fit into the category of original/port, the bigger crime being the not only delay of the WiiU release, which would have certainly seen an uptick in console sales, but also the removing of the cool WiiU only features.
    I imagine that Nintendo only wanted to promote the game the once, and have the biggest impact, and as a launch game for the Switch they certainly achieved that.
    But the also sacrificed the goodwill built with some existing WiiU owners but, I would argue, not the majority of them.

The make an equivalence with SSBU is erroneous at best, disingenuous at worst.
    The new game is just that, a new game.
    In the same way that no one accuses Destiny 2 of being "a port" of Destiny, so SSBU is not a port of the earlier WiiU title, though it naturally contains a lot of settings and characters, not to mention controls and gameplay, from the WiiU game, but then the WiiU game shared a lot with the Wii games.
    Honestly, it seems this turd of an argument gets dug out of it's deserving grave and is exposed once again, for all to see and deride, until feelings get hurt, tantrums are had and so on.
    Can't we leave this one alone, for once and for all?
    Has not we all suffered enough?

Isn't there better things to debate and discuss, like Banjo still being awful at Dark Souls, at the lack of an F-Zero title and so on?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    the lack of an F-Zero title and so on?

Everything above just reminded me of an endless loop of death...and F-Zero...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Grassey wrote: »
    Everything above just reminded me of an endless loop of death...and F-Zero...

What glorious, glorious mayhem

I think the thing we have to remember is not to conflate or confuse opinion with fact.
    It can be a widely held opinion or held by just one person, but it is still just that, an opinion unless it's backed up with objective fact.
    I would note that most posts come with that qualification, that it is the poster's own thoughts, and so that is fine, even if disagreed with by the majority.
    At the same, just tramping out something that proved inflammatory and "edgy", to unpleasant effect, is a bit mean spirited and not fitting with the purpose of the site or this forum tbh.
    So, for the posters of such things, keep it in mind.
    For those who would go for the immediate bold response, keep it in mind too.
    And, anyway, why can't we all just.... get along?

BOTW could have shipped a long time before on Wii U but was deliberately held back and held back so that it could launch on the Switch. It started life on Wii U, for me and others it's a Wii U game. The same way Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game. I bought it on Wii but it's a Gamecube game, neither console really took advantage of the extra horsepower for their respective ports. My opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wonder what this game is?
    Seem confident fans will like it for whatever its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BOTW could have shipped a long time before on Wii U but was deliberately held back and held back so that it could launch on the Switch. It started life on Wii U, for me and others it's a Wii U game. The same way Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game. I bought it on Wii but it's a Gamecube game, neither console really took advantage of the extra horsepower for their respective ports. My opinion.

The Switch would have been in development shortly after they realised the WiiU was a flop.

I'm sure the BOTW team had Dev kits for the Switch from early in the games development if not from the get go and always knew the game was going to release on both consoles.

If it was a WiiU exclusive they probably wouldn't have even made back the development costs of the game.

I don't want this to drag on but I think there is little doubt that BotW started out as a WiiU game and ended up delayed so they could move it over to the Switch platform as a launch game.
    But that is well established matter.
    The Smash comments are just wrong, in so far as it represents the latest in a fighting franchise, so the Switch game has the same relationship with the WiiU/3DS games, as Street Fighter V has with Street Fighter IV.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The Switch would have been in development shortly after they realised the WiiU was a flop.

I'm sure the BOTW team had Dev kits for the Switch from early in the games development if not from the get go and always knew the game was going to release on both consoles.

If it was a WiiU exclusive they probably wouldn't have even made back the development costs of the game.

Given the pretty off the shelf nature of the Switch, I'd say it was a fast turn around of an existing concept.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the device started out as a simple 3DS replacement but got promoted to home console duties when it was obvious the WiiU didn't find an audience. Some redesign, some extra power, higher resolution when docked, the dock itself etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Given the pretty off the shelf nature of the Switch, I'd say it was a fast turn around of an existing concept.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the device started out as a simple 3DS replacement but got promoted to home console duties when it was obvious the WiiU didn't find an audience. Some redesign, some extra power, higher resolution when docked, the dock itself etc.

I'd say the Switch is what they imagined the WiiU was going to be but either someone reigned the budget in as the cost would have been to high or the design team couldn't achieve the main goal with technology available at the time. Or some combination of both.

Advertisement