Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Anyone recognise this Nintendo character? Here's a clue: It's a bit of a mouthpiece and he's in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
    DtvpH_mWoAMkX8s.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looks like the bottom half of Donkey Kong's face?

DtwAwkkX4AA1Edb.jpg

"I don't know what you are talking about!" ;)

I should have edited it a bit more, zooming in and straightening it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To keep the chat out of the bargains thread, I got a couple of the Zelda backpack buddies just out of curiosity. No characters though I did get the rare one. A Hylian crest. Also a heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

CastorTroy wrote: »
    To keep the chat out of the bargains thread, I got a couple of the Zelda backpack buddies just out of curiosity. No characters though I did get the rare one. A Hylian crest. Also a heart

Wanted to post in the bargains thread but yeah thought better of it too: I actually needed one last Super Mario character, Mario himself, so I went lookin for him today and was pretty sure I found him. I got outside the store to check that I got the right one: turns out I got the gold chase version! :eek: But then I had to turn and go back into Aldi again to find the regular version. :pac:

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wanted to post in the bargains thread but yeah thought better of it too: I actually needed one last Super Mario character, Mario himself, so I went lookin for him today and was pretty sure I found him. I got outside the store to check that I got the right one: turns out I got the gold chase version! :eek: But then I had to turn and go back into Aldi again to find the regular version. :pac:

Hey, stop boasting about your gold figurines. 😉 Anybody else have buyers remorse?
    DuFo4_JW4AMnrf8.jpg

DuFo4_JWwAA_LL8.jpg

I don't need these and I don't see how I'll use them. Got carried away a little bit. I originally just wanted Mario, Yoshi, Link and that gold Triforce. Didn't realise it was rare until looking at the back of the package in Aldi. I should have realised.

I squeezed the life out of them in the shop trying to suss out what was what. These are recognisable by their feel, some far easier than others:

Donkey Kong
    Wario
    Peach
    Toad

Link
    Ganondorf
    Zelda
    Bombs
    Emerald
    Triforce
    Shield

I was struggling a little at the start, squeezing them makes some notion the packaging, and you're kind of paranoid that everyone's looking. I knew I'd Link, thought the Triforce might be nice, it's not, it's beyond cheap and has a terrible finish on it. Wasn't sure, thought maybe I had the Triforce, I'd felt the shield in another package but the plastic hook bit probably threw me off a little.

I got Donkey Kong, wanted that, thought I'd Mario, well I did initially I think, but I'd strewn all the packages all over the place that when I picked them up to go to checkout I must have picked up the wrong one.

So that was 5 of them. Went back later and bought another 3, as I didn't have the 2 I initially went in for. It's harder to discern between Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and Koopa Troopa.

I think if I bought more I'd know easier which are which now. But it's silly, I should have just bought a couple of nice key chains on Amazon. I think it was that they're only €2.50 each and the hope of getting a gold figurine that kind of dragged me in. Damn you Mr E for posting them. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ocarina of Time was released in Europe 20 years ago today. Still the greatest game ever for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Nal wrote: »
    Ocarina of Time was released in Europe 20 years ago today. Still the greatest game ever for me.

I remember going to Game to collect my preordered copy, to bring home and hand over to my folks so they could put it away as my birthday present, and the complete awe felt when first playing it!

14 games that pushed the limits of the SNES
    • Tales of Phantasia
    • Axelay
    • Final Fantasy VI
    • Star Fox
    • Donkey Kong Country 3
    • Street Fighter Zero 2
    • Tengai Makyou Zero
    • Stunt Race FX
    • Seiken Densetsu 3
    • Yoshi's Island
    • Super Mario RPG
    • Rudora no hihou
    • Megaman X2
    • Star Ocean

https://www.resetera.com/threads/14-games-that-pushed-the-limits-of-the-snes.86406/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2hg0lSkVm4

• Advertisement

This week's Japanese Media Create sales.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
    1. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 1,220,535 (New)
    2. [NSW] Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Let’s Go, Eevee! (Bundle Editions Included) (Nintendo, 11/16/18) – 93,787 (1,012,247)
    3. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 69,861 (489,767)
    4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 20,995 (1,881,751)
    5. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 19,083 (2,740,677)
    6. [NSW] Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Bundle Version Included) (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 16,948 (403,784)
    7. [PS4] Just Cause 4 (Square Enix, 12/06/18) – 16,100 (New)
    8. [PS4] Battlefield V (Electronic Arts, 11/20/18) – 10,555 (141,324)
    9. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 10/27/17) – 9,592 (1,866,426)
    10. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 9,531 (1,182,281)
    11. [3DS] Persona Q2: New Shadow Labyrinth (Atlus, 11/29/18) – 8,076 (87,823)
    12. [NSW] Kirby: Star Allies (Nintendo, 03/16/18) – 7,677 (658,270)
    13. [PS4] Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle (Capcom, 12/06/18) – 7,318 (New)
    14. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII (SIE, 10/12/18) – 6,515 (485,497)
    15. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion (Nintendo, 11/08/18) – 6,466 (54,800)
    16. [NSW] Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle (Capcom, 12/06/18) – 5,903 (New)
    17. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun (Bandai Namco, 07/19/18) – 5,113 (236,220)
    18. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon (The Pokemon Company, 11/17/17) – 4,931 (1,773,521)
    19. [NSW] Mario Tennis Aces (Nintendo, 06/22/18) – 3,601 (376,482)
    20. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit (Nintendo, 09/14/18) – 3,597 (43,451)

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
    1. Switch – 281,222 (120,546)
    2. PlayStation 4 – 50,450 (9,852)
    3. PlayStation 4 Pro – 24,046 (10,558)
    4. New 2DS LL – 10,021 (7,401)
    5. New 3DS LL – 3,631 (2,692)
    6. PlayStation Vita – 2,484 (1,798)
    7. 2DS – 620 (342)
    8. Xbox One X – 117 (260)
    9. Xbox One – 32 (25)

https://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20181212052/

If you thought the sales were good for the week of Pokemon(they were), these are even crazier.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

8 of the top 10 are Switch games. That's good going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    8 of the top 10 are Switch games. That's good going.

16 of the 20 are on Nintendo formats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Surprising that Let's Go Pokemon's combined sales are worse than Smash which only released last week. I thought that would be a big hit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

A lot of the talk of it being dumbed down will have put people off. Well, by people I mean me. But I speak for the trees and some Japanese people.

Speculation: Nintendo is renaming the Switch eShop to "Nintendo Switch Online shop" (overhaul soon?)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/speculation-nintendo-is-renaming-the-switch-eshop-to-nintendo-switch-online-shop-overhaul-soon.86788/

There's 2 stories in this post, you've got the potential name change of the eShop, but then they get their information from another thread:

Nintendo sues California man for selling hacked NES Classics & Switch units

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-sues-california-man-for-selling-hacked-nes-classics-switch-units.86781/

This story has the legal papers that Nintendo have filed which contains the name change:

https://www.scribd.com/document/395564764/Nintendo-v-Euskaldunak
    FVDyQ8x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

NES And SNES Classic Consoles Won't Be Restocked After Holidays, "Once They Sell Out, They’re Gone"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/nes_and_snes_classic_consoles_wont_be_restocked_after_holidays_once_they_sell_out_theyrre_gone

Could be a shrewd investment for this time next year. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    NES And SNES Classic Consoles Won't Be Restocked After Holidays, "Once They Sell Out, They’re Gone"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/nes_and_snes_classic_consoles_wont_be_restocked_after_holidays_once_they_sell_out_theyrre_gone

Could be a shrewd investment for this time next year. :o

719846_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know some people doubted his claiming to be a Nintendo fan when he was doing PR for them last year, but seems John Cena is a Nintendo fan

First Nintendo item at the 1:30 mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

He actually went above and beyond with the explanations and seemed genuinely excited when they pulled them out of the box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Does anybody know where you could find an original 150/151 Pokémon poster in or around Dublin city centre?

Dan Baker is leaving Nintendo.
    Hey folks, I wrote a thing. Ugh, emotions! Thank you all for your support of amazing content from big publishers to the Nindies alike. It's been an honor to work with and be a part of this amazing community. Be good to each other and look forward to revealing more in 2019!
    Du9QanWUUAA8QRm.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/DWBakes/status/1076168083675336705

Zelda aside, is there any reason for me to buy a Switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Zelda aside, is there any reason for me to buy a Switch?

You're in a Nintendo forum. 99% of people are gonna tell you to get one.

You're in a Nintendo forum. 99% of people are gonna tell you to get one.

Course. And Ive been a Nintendo guy since the NES but Im really looking for recommendations for games I suppose. Not being negative but I just cant see any sticking out apart from Zelda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Course. And Ive been a Nintendo guy since the NES but Im really looking for recommendations for games I suppose.

Well if you've been a Nintendo guy since the start I would say yes.
    Mario and Zelda are 2 great games. Arguably 2 of the best games ever. We've also had Kirby and Starfox (kinda) get releases. And Yoshi, Animal Crossing and Metroid all potentially getting 2019 releases. So if Nintendo first party is your thing then there's lots to play.
    What kinda games do you normally play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Splatoon 2, Mario and Rabbids, smash Bros, mario, Zelda, mario kart just to name a few minty games

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Course. And Ive been a Nintendo guy since the NES but Im really looking for recommendations for games I suppose. Not being negative but I just cant see any sticking out apart from Zelda

Odyssey, Octopath Traveller, Smash and Pokémon from main releases.

Hollow Knight, Celeste, Golf Story and Messanger from Indies.

Loads more big games coming next year.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Looking to pick one up after Christmas.

Advertisement