Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

RUMOUR | Nintendo's next hardware will have physical and digital backwards compatibility with Switch games

"One of the topics of greatest doubt among current Nintendo consumers and even enthusiasts curious about their next hardware is the question of compatibility with current Nintendo Switch games on this new console.

Awaited as a potential 2024 release by Nintendo, the next system could come with the encouraging news that it will feature this physical (in cartridges) and digital backward compatibility not only available to players and producers — but would also allow developers to study improvements for the current titles in the Nintendo Switch library.

This information was shared by PH Brazil during the most recent episode of the podcast for the Pokémon franchise as traditionally happens every year.

PH Brazil is currently a content creator and also a games journalist who has already brought a lot of information about Nintendo's or partners' movements in advance and with precision in the past. Taking into account its history, there is a high chance that this information will become fact when the console is announced."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/universal-nintendo-switch-2-will-feature-physical-and-digital-backwards-capability-devs-have-access-to-enhance-switch-1-games.815544/

This could be a bit of a nothing burger.

Reuters source says Switch 2 expected this year uses Nvidia custom design chip

"Nintendo’s current Switch handheld console already includes Nvidia’s Tegra X1 chip. A new version of the Switch console expected this year is likely to include a Nvidia custom design, one source said.

Nintendo declined to comment."

But it is Reuters, so you'd expect them to be using a reliable source.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/nvidia-chases-30-billion-custom-chip-market-with-new-unit-sources-2024-02-09/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like a lot of outlets are reporting that Backwards Compatibility "leak"; I think it was already hinted at, but the idea that developers could even iterate on their Switch 1 games could be interesting - if investment was available from the dev/publisher, it might yield for some really useful "upgrades" for currently sub-standard releases. Ok, it'd still amount to previous generation releases but there's a laundry list of Switch ports that have remained shoddy.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

60 FPS for the two Zelda games, botw and totk would be nice. And a free upgrade too, Nintendo !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm sure you're aware, but just in case, the Japanese N3DSLL models are cheaper again and the system is easily modded region-free if you want to scoop up some of the rarer models without parting with a kidney.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm nosing through the Play on Sale listings for games under £5 and have noticed a couple of games I have really enjoyed on Steam that should also be good on Switch.

Danger Scavenger is a decent procedural roguelite twin-stick shooter with a cyberpunk aesthetic that is definitely worth £1.25 or your local equivalent.

Not A Hero: Super Snazzy Edition is a very silly, excessively violent 2.25D shooter/platformer thing. You unlock additional characters with different strengths and weaknesses as you go along, and for me at least the voices given to each character which allow them to react to how you get on in the game remain a solid plus for this game. What else are you going to do with that £2.33? I can't not like a game where you play a shotgun-toting brain-damage case who's a Legally Distinct Johnny Vegas in voice and dialogue terms. May work better docked, is the only caveat.

ABZU is a gorgeous, gentle diving/puzzle game, where amongst other things you can hitch a ride on some of the larger creatures as they swim, and perch yourself somewhere to just watch everything drifting by. It's a great game to dip into for a few minutes to relax, and is worth £3.74 of your cash.

Machinarium is a gorgeus point and click puzzle game with gorgeous animation, great music and a sweet story. I still have some tunes from this game stuck in my brain. As with any PnC game I would say buy this to play docked, as I can imagine handheld to be a nightmare. A worthwhile investment of £4.49.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Tomb raider 3 the greatest game ever made!!

No game has given the same sense of mystery, challenge or terror since!

Doesn't need a HD anything in my eyes - it's soul lies in the original PS version.

So I wasn't going to comment on this rumour...

Brazilian journalist says Switch 2 isn’t launching until 2025

But now Bloomberg have said the same thing.

Nintendo Is Telling Game Publishers Switch 2 Will Be Delayed

Bloomberg is paywalled, so...

Nintendo Switch 2 Reportedly Delayed to the 'Early Months of 2025'

Switch 2 was due for release later this year. But if I was to guess, I'd say development of a(or several) launch title(s) have hit some bumps in the road, which has supposedly pushed the launch to March 2025 at the earliest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that we may get an announcement soon. I'm part of a Nintendo focused forum and there's a user over there who is a shareholder in Nintendo stocks. I don't know how big of a shareholder he is, but enough to at least qualify to attend the shareholder meetings (which apparently you need about $4,000 worth of shares to qualify for according to Google). He has made it very clear that he is not an insider/leaker, but does have access to other shareholders who hear things, and that he heard as recently as last week that there is an announcement/reveal planned for next month. He has emphasised that everything he is saying is based on his own research, but he is betting very heavily on next month with a release in the summer, even after the Q1 2025 rumour mill started flying.

If the successor truly has been delayed until Q1 2025 I'm gonna be beyond disappointed. I really just want a more capable Switch as the current one is absolutely showing its age. It's just very odd that Nintendo have been very quiet so far this year. They haven't had their traditional February Direct, which they have had every year since 2012 except for 2018, and they have hardly any first party titles coming up this year that we currently know about. Part of me wonders if Nintendo is throwing around fake info internally to try and weed out leakers. Then again February isn't over yet, and reliable leakers have said that a Direct was planned for this week but postponed due to the Xbox stuff, so the Direct may be coming next week, albeit a partner showcase.

Only time will tell, but I live in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will damage sales for this holiday period though I'm sure they realise any sales they get then won't be too high anyway. Maybe will do a discounted bundle to get what they can before moving on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I'm interested in this N3DSLL idea too. I've a damaged screen 3DS, which I guess I will repair at some point, but wouldn't mind getting another niche model.

I guess it would have been easier to go down this road before the eShop was disabled though.

Japan: Nintendo is the richest company with over $11 billion in cash

That's impressive and follows on from the news earlier today that Nintendo's share price dropped 6% today after the speculation at the weekend that Switch 2 would see a delay into 2025.

Nintendo shares slide on reports of delayed Switch successor release

This looks amazing. But if you know First 4 Figures it'll cost a small fortune. You'll need a tonne of Rupees.

F4F Presents - The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild - Sheikah Slate

There is also a competition to win one.

Even I was shocked at the price of this. 😳

You'll need a gold, 2 silver, a purple, 2 red and 2 green Rupees.

Rumour: Nintendo Switch 2 is being revealed in June. A General Direct is scheduled for April

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumor-nintendo-switch-2-is-being-revealed-in-june-a-general-direct-is-scheduled-for-april.1667437/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Nitro Deck + just announced

Here is a complete list of all onboard features...

• Enhanced Comfort (New Thumbstick Layout)
    • Zero Stick Drift (Hall-Effect Sensors)
    • HDMI Output for TV Play (Play While Docked)
    • Re-mappable Back Buttons
    • Programmable Sidekick Buttons
    • Adjustable Trigger Sensitivity
    • Low Latency (direct connection via USB-C)
    • Bluetooth® Connection (To update firmware via app or as a connection alternative)
    • Swappable Stick Tops
    • Adjustable Vibration Feedback
    • Gyro Compatible for Motion Control Games
    • No Deadzone Mode
    • Turbo Function (Add Turbo Functionality to any Action or Trigger Button)
    • Pass-through Charging Feature
    • Use as an Extra Controller
    • Easy Eject System
    • Integrated Display Stand
    • Connects to the CRKD Companion App (True Collection System)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Compatible with our "True Collection System" CRKD Companion App where you can tap your product into your collection of CRKD products revealing the product # and rarity rank of your controller.

Whut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just watched the Pokemon Presents presentation — aside from all the mobile dreck, the only worthwhile news is we're getting a new Legends game in the form of Legends Z/Zygarde. There's not much to go on at the minute, but grateful the series is continuing as PLA was genuinely the kind of game you always wished Game Freak would produce. Granted, it did look like arse a lot of time, but still, really fun.

• Advertisement

Switch 2 Storage Speculation Sparked by Samsung’s Newly-Revealed 800 MB/s microSD Cards

“For the first time in the industry, Samsung has introduced a new high-performance microSD card based on the SD Express interface. The development was the result of a successful collaboration with a customer to create a custom product.”

It could be Nintendo. Either way, Switch 2 would benefit from using these.

AMD bid “hard” to power the Nintendo Switch 2, apparently

Part of the story.

"According to Nvidia sources speaking to YouTuber Moore’s Law Is Dead, “AMD bid against [Nvidia] HARD for the Switch 2 btw, but ended up losing the bid.” They also shared some details on the potential technical makeup for the handheld, claiming that “Switch 2 silicon has been done since late 2022.”

More concretely, however, the source states that a Digital Foundry exploration of the Nvidia T239 processor is “an almost entirely correct summary of what is true about the silicon in Switch 2.” If true, this would give the next Nintendo handheld access to DLSS Super Resolution but features like DLSS Frame Generation would be out of reach."

It's an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Currys stocking Unicorn Overlord on Friday seem to be only shop that will have it in Dublin.

Post edited by RobbingBandit on

MARIO DAY | Something is coming | LEGO Super Mario

Save the date of March 9 for an exciting LEGO Super Mario event! Mario Day is coming, and it seems like something more is on the way...

Mario Through the Years - A Mar10 Day Celebration

Press start on Mar10 Day and join us on a journey through some of Mario’s adventures over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

missing loads in that... Mario Galaxy? Super Mario Land?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose it's the Mario titles that are available on the Switch, would that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Thought that too, then I remembered Mario 3d Allstars.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's not available to buy (at least, not new) though. Which remains one of the sillier decisions they've made, IMO. (Another one being not releasing SMG2 either as part of it or as DLC, but there you go...)

• Advertisement

I saw this video linked elsewhere and thought that it's a pretty interesting demonstration of a bonkers idea - making an N64 work with a VR headset. It's the same person who was developing the Portal 64 demake earlier this year.

Advertisement