Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have it the cart on my Virtual Boy, I don't remember having a whole lot of fun with it the first time around, but I'll have to give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

That might be more to do with the Virtual Boy hardware though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since Playstation and XBox did it, I'm trying to remember do Nintendo do the Year in Review?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If you mean a year in review like this, then yes. They've been doing it for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's it. Yeah I thought they did but wasn't sure.

• Advertisement

Nintendo Switch - Year in Review 2023 is now live.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ThePandazorian

Not a bad year! Thanks Nintendo!! Switch is strong nearly 7 years on!

Check out this stunning PC port of Zelda: Link’s Awakening while you can

This looks fantastic and it's available to download...for now.

Link's Awakening DX HD Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, it never gave me headaches or anything, I just tried it and was underwhelmed, but then I haven't tried it in over a decade!

• Advertisement

Weird it's really polished when I play it, I wonder if the emulator is running at a higher FPS or something to make it a smoother experience

I'll have to fire it up and give it another go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can't help but lol when looking at the sale on the eshop and see that Nintendo once again have the audacity to include Breath Of The Wild as being "on sale" with the price starting at £59.99 :D

Nintendont do sales

Nintendo are the Ebeneezer Scrooge of the gaming industry. Bah humbug!

IGN have just picked their best game of 2023.

And the winner is...

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Unofficial Link's Awakening PC port put to sleep by Nintendo

It didn't take them long to act on this. It's a pity they're not as quick in other regards.

Yes, Nintendo's Next Generation Games Are Going To Be 70 Bucks.

#### that! If this is true, and it's something I can definitely see Nintendo doing, then they can go to hell.

The €70 price tag started with this generation, which is wrong in my opinion. But Switch 2 if we're lucky will be as powerful as last gen hardware.

Nintendo are the greediest and most miserly company around. Just look at the games on Switch, many of which are Wii U ports, and they're still €60. Or their remasters/remakes of the likes of Skyward Sword HD, Link's Awakening HD, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, etc, etc.

The Wii U eShop closed its doors earlier this year, more than a decade after it released with a tonne of its games still €60 as they drove the final nail in its coffin before it slid to its grave. I'll never forget SSB Wii U(€60) with its convoluted DLC packs, that didn't have a season pass and cost well over €100 for a fraction of the content of the base game. And it was equally as messy on 3DS.

At least other companies have sales, proper sales, unlike Nintendo. A game that releases on other platforms often get sales and price reductions with the first year if not months. Nintendo advertise sales with up to 75% off, but that doesn't include 1st party games. You'll be lucky to get 33% off, and it's only for digital games. Physical games remain full price. And when Nintendo do hardware bundles, if a "game" is included, it's a digital code. There's no Nintendo Selects range of games on Switch either.

What's Nintendo's justification for the price hike, should it happen? Is it once again because they see the competition doing something and they automatically think can do this because they see themselves as the Disney of the video game industry? The Switch cartridges are prohibitively expensive, 3rd parties so often cheap out and use small cartridges, with massive downloads required. So it is cartridge cost? TOTK was €70, many believe it was because it used a 32GB cartridge, with Nintendo passing on that cost to the consumer. Mortal Kombat 1 was the second €70 game on Switch and first from a 3rd party. What a broken disgraceful mess that was. We shouldn't be paying the same price as next gen consoles for an inferior game in every way possible. And they will be watered down experiences on Switch 2 as well.

The Switch is coming up on 7 years old, and I don't think there's much more than 10 games, if even that, that have used a 32GB cartridge. 64GB cartridges are the stuff of fiction.

That's an article from 2017. Wii U had standard 25GB proprietary discs that cheap to mass produce. What size are Switch 2 cartridges going to be? Are they going to use the same crazy expensive proprietary process that protects Nintendo from piracy at all costs, but a cartridge that is limited in capacity and production scale? Where consumers are the ones(AGAIN!) who will pay the price both figuratively and literally?

I mean like there is inflation to factor as well... but there's also the fact that the Nintendo can do what it likes knowing that those that have already bought into it and think Nintendo can do no wrong will continue to purchase regardless. As illustrated in that article:

Similar thing with those that have bought into the Apple eco system and believe it to be the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ThePandazorian

Still cheaper than N64 games back in the day! Needed to nearly take out a credit union loan for them. 😂

€70+ is the standard across other physical formats, AAA titles like Gran Turismo 7 and Flight Simulator are all in that price range.

Hardly surprising then that AAA titles from Nintendo are going to cost a similar amount, much to do with the increased cost of development of more complex titles.

The same resources that went into developing say Skyward Sword as an example on the Wii, did not go into upgrading Skyward Sword HD. Now as someone here pointed out on another thread, Wii games were €50. Skyward Sword HD on Switch costs €60. Did Nintendo have to create a new storyline, compose new music, NPC's, enemies, towns, side quests, all the collectibles, dungeons, etc, etc, etc?

No they didn't. The vast majority of the heavy lifting has been done already. Companies are all over ports/remasters/remakes like a plague because they are infinitely cheaper to make than starting a completely new game from scratch.

They also pointed out that while Nintendo Wii games were €50, PS3 and Xbox360 games were €60. Nintendo didn't have to deal with HD development back then, but when they did with Wii U, game prices went up to €60. As I wrote elsewhere, PS4 games weren't €70, they were €60. So if Switch 2 games are going to be on par with PS4 games, then they should remain at €60.

This is Nintendo looking at others once again doing something and saying we can do that too because we're the Disney of gaming. Even though development costs won't be as high as PS5/XB Series. They did the same with online, even though their service is garbage. They did it simply because they can and it's yet more revenue for them. Nintendo aren't paupers, not even remotely close. They've posted revenue of around $12 billion each year for the last number of years. They can well afford to keep game prices at €60, they could well afford a Switch price drop(sales are dropping in certain regions). I don't care what anybody says, I stand by my statement that they are the greediest ##### around, and miserly too. Wii U ports to Switch should have been cheaper, they weren't and still aren't. And they tried some underhand tactics, removing them from the Wii U eShop where some were €25(though reversed the decision after negative publicity). They charged €10 more for DKC: Tropical Freeze on Switch than originally on Wii U, €60 v €50. And that too was €25 on Wii U at that stage. Adding Funky Kong mode sure was expensive for Nintendo to develop on Switch. 😐

And this new €70 price tag won't be for new big budget Switch 2 games, it'll be across the board, regardless. Just look at what they're at now with cheap ports on Switch. And again, they will stay that way across the years, it won't matter if they're not evergreen titles. How many copies do you think Nintendo are still selling of ARMS? Feck all I'd imagine! It doesn't matter, it still costs €60 for a title that released shortly after the Switch launch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

None of this is new or surprising behaviour from Nintendo. If you really are asdisgusted by it as you claim, don't buy their hardware or software.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Life's too short for me to be so angry about a software and hardware manufacturer. I don't like Apple products, I don't buy them, job done.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't like Nintendo's pricing, and think it's a load of shíte - but then I bought TOTK full price 'cos I knew I'd get value out of it; it's a case-by-case basis for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭jj880

Well the good thing about Nintendo prices is you get a good price when you sell. I sold up after TOTK. Loved every minute of it, BOTW, Odyssey, MK8 and making the labos at Christmas. Cant complain.

Will probably get the new Switch for the next gen Mario and Zelda games. I dont tend to play ports from previous gens.

Just do as I do and buy 3rd party games exclusively 😂

I picked up a few 1st party titles when I first got my Switch but since then it's been buying sale items from Sooth Efrika... take that Nintendo 🤑

The funny thing is, out of the tons I've games I've purchased, the total price has prob been the price of 1 or 2 first party games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭jj880

If I was to get 1 x first party Switch game only it would be Super Mario Odyssey. The Zeldas are immense games but a play through of Odyssey will bring joy to your soul.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got that, Mario Kart, and BotW at the start...

The single greatest game experience on the Switch for me was XCom 2... became crazily addicted to that for several weeks till I (did the Switch equivalent of) Platinum-ed it.

I bought it for 0.59 cents.

That was my "Last of Us" for the Switch.

Got gifted a few others like Luigi's Mansion and Warioware... but haven't actually "bought" any of the ~€60 games since that starter set.

Mainly get 1st party games as gifts from those that can't figure out what to get me for Xmas

Advertisement